PDA

View Full Version : LF - Golden Dwarf Eel

noslen34
01-03-2014, 05:14 AM
Has anyone seen one of these at a LFS? I'm looking to get one for my aggressive reef. Thanks guys.

Coral Hoarder
01-03-2014, 05:34 AM
how agresive is your reef dwarf golen eels are one of the more aggressive eels

WarDog
01-03-2014, 06:01 AM
Not local, but I think J&L has 2.

noslen34
01-03-2014, 08:44 AM

I'm thinking it's a smaller eel therefore less mess (cleaner water). Plus smaller mouth equals less fish eaten from my display tank.

I'm planning for a dwarf lion, puffer, blue throat trigger, blue tang, yellow tang, dwarf angel, rabbitfish. What do you think? I have a 130gal.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

noslen34
01-03-2014, 08:48 AM
Not local, but I think J&L has 2.

Spending $150 on livestock being shipped is a tough pill for me to swallow. I dunno, maybe it's just me, I can't see him, I don't know if he is gonna live through the transport, the extra shipping cost, it's cold in Calgary - will he freeze? Have you done it before? What's ur experience with shipping livestock especially during Calgary winters.

Coral Hoarder
01-03-2014, 08:49 AM
only thing I would question is the puffer I seen em slurp a small snow fleke eel up like spaghetti also seen then break off lion fish spines
so a puffer wouldn't be a good idea

noslen34
01-03-2014, 08:52 AM
only thing I would question is the puffer I seen em slurp a small snow fleke eel up like spaghetti also seen then break off lion fish spines
so a puffer wouldn't be a good idea

Hmmm.... I've heard that a couple times now, I have to really rethink planning for a puffer, but I like puffers, ahhh. Thanks man.

Taipan
01-03-2014, 04:34 PM
Hi there. From experience; Golden Dwarf Moray eels (Gymnothorax melatremus) are fairly docile and "reef safe" - with caution. I've seen them in a few reef displays. The ones I've come across are very well mannered and readily accept even hand fed food. Keep them well fed and add them last to your display - you should be fine. At the end of the day; it's still a moray and may be tempted to try smaller fish/crustaceans as a snack. It's a beautiful addition.

Golden/Banana Moray eels (Gymnothorax miliaris) on the other hand are much more aggressive.

Coral Hoarder
01-03-2014, 04:38 PM
I got a disagree the 2 that I had would rip chunks from other fish

Taipan
01-03-2014, 04:42 PM
Each new addition will have their own personality. It's a similar scenario with dwarf angels and determining whether they will pick at corals or not. It's "hit and miss" at times.

You are speaking from your experience. I am speaking from mine.

Delphinus
01-03-2014, 05:43 PM
To be honest I would be cautious about putting one in an "aggressive" reef. Depends on the tankmates. Although these are morays, they are tiny, and I would imagine they would either spend their time hiding from view or actually being attacked and being at risk.

To give you an example, I have one in my 65g tank, and he is lower on the totem pole than the flame hawkfish. If he pokes his head out of the rock, and the flame hawk notices, the flame hawk will chase him back into the rock caves.

Make sure you have a good cover - all morays are good escape artists, but their tiny size mean they will get out though holes you might not think possible.

Delphinus
01-03-2014, 05:46 PM
I got a disagree the 2 that I had would rip chunks from other fish

Wow. I have had 3 golden dwarf eels over the years and none have ever been that kind of aggressive. My current one will come out and expect to be fed if he sees me (or the tongs). (That said, I don't imagine a bite from him would be pleasant.)

wickedfrags
01-03-2014, 09:39 PM
??? Well ok, they will eat whatever they can fit in their mouths.......have you see the size of their mouths?

I have owned 2 separate pairs over 10 years and have had not had this experience.

Coral Hoarder
01-03-2014, 09:44 PM
Yes they were one of a kind iv had them 2 snow flaks a zebra and a white eyewhen my preditory tank was up all were nice except the pair of Golden's those were tho two I was afrade to hand feed lol

Mel.r
01-03-2014, 09:49 PM
I currently own 3 GDM
all 3 have never bothered with any of my fish .. I even have them in with small fish such as a small watchman gobies and they live peacefully.
I hand feed mine one (the other 2 are stick trained.. they just haven't taken to it yet)
The only thing i have had a problem with is them taking out some of my CUC

Taipan
01-03-2014, 10:48 PM
Let's step back for a minute here.....to be fair:

I think we (reefers with Golden Dwarfs) do inherently have a different environment than those with a true 'predator' setup.

In a relatively peaceful (reef) environment - our Dwarf Morays do not necessarily have to fight and compete with others for food.....hence; perhaps the lower aggression issues. Some of us hand feed them.

This can't be said for a 'predator' display where there may be in fighting and competition for food. Hence; the potential for increased aggression and lashing out for scraps. Since these eels by nature are physically small; they can easily by overcome by surrounding tankmates.

Secondly; it is true that whatever fits in its mouth is a potential target. I'm willing to sacrifice some clean up crew and even the odd shrimp. Keeping these eels are similar to keeping certain types of Trigger fish and Anemones - always keep in the back of your mind that your most prized fish regardless of value or sentiment may be sacrificed. Knowing this.....we still continue to keep them - they're beautiful.

Finally; as stated previously - from most hobbyists' experiences....they are fairly docile. It's just the luck of the draw. Each fish/eel will have their own personality; another cold hard truth.

I'll post some pics later if the OP would like.

Back to the topic at hand....let's find a Golden Dwarf Moray for the OP ;) Good luck!