PDA

View Full Version : opinons on running carbon

Chris82
01-02-2014, 04:43 AM
Looking for opinions on running carbon?

canadianbudz604
01-02-2014, 05:53 AM
Nothing wrong with using it, you don't need a lot of it. I have a 29g standard and run carbon/purigen/filter floss in my hob. If you have a mixed reef with softies/Lps/sps you need some carbon to help with chemical warfare. I put 2-3 tablespoons in a bag and change it out once a week.

Doug
01-02-2014, 04:41 PM
Always used it, will keep using it. Put a little to much carbon and gfo in my 20g once, and my dark green monti cap almost bleached, so I agree to watch the amounts used. Use less....change more...is my way now.

AquaPin
01-02-2014, 04:59 PM
I use it year round, change it out every 2-3 months (reactor 2/3 full at all times).

Here is a good read for ya:
http://joejaworski.wordpress.com/2008/05/09/does-a-reef-tank-need-carbon/

craigwmiller
01-02-2014, 05:08 PM
Yep, use it all the time. I run it passively in a mesh bag floating in my sump, exchanged every month. Be mindful of the strength of the carbon, for example the ROX 0.8 stuff is easily twice as strong as a standard 'activated carbon', and you should thus use at most half as much.

Also something I do is rinse my carbon in RO first until clear and then soak it in HOT RO for 24 hours before using. (it cools gradually, and then is room temp for most of the 24 hours).

asylumdown
01-02-2014, 06:52 PM
I never used to, then I read an article on the differences between transmission of light through tank water and sea water and aged tank water that's not seen a water change in a while and not running carbon was drastically different in colour and transmissibility than actual reef water. Even if you can't see it with your eyes, 2 weeks after a water change your water will be quite yellowed.

I've started running carbon passively as a result, but not every day. I'm nervous about it causing HLLE.

Chris82
01-02-2014, 07:11 PM
I never used to, then I read an article on the differences between transmission of light through tank water and sea water and aged tank water that's not seen a water change in a while and not running carbon was drastically different in colour and transmissibility than actual reef water. Even if you can't see it with your eyes, 2 weeks after a water change your water will be quite yellowed.

I've started running carbon passively as a result, but not every day. I'm nervous about it causing HLLE.

Hlle? Not familiar with this

Wheelman76
01-02-2014, 07:53 PM
Hlle? Not familiar with this

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/blog/activated-carbon-affirmed-as-causative-agent-for-hlle-disease

asylumdown
01-02-2014, 08:02 PM
yup, that's the article that made me wary of it. I never had any problems not running carbon the past (nearly) 2 years, so it's obviously not a necessity, but I do notice a major difference in clarity when it's in there, hence the irregular running of carbon now.

Chris82
01-02-2014, 08:16 PM
Read the article.
Thanks!

Chris82
01-02-2014, 08:18 PM
I think I will try running some passively and intrimitently as well.

StirCrazy
01-02-2014, 11:30 PM
I ran it for 9 years in the 90 gal, used to do one of the small containers per every 2 weeks. just used the stuff from walmart, it worked and never had a problem.

Steve