PDA

View Full Version : Confusion over Reactors - Input appreciated

WarDog
01-02-2014, 12:21 AM
As some may know I am setting up my first system and have been doing tons of research. So much research that I believe I am starting to confuse myself in regards to which reactors I need to run, and combinations thereof. The following is a list of reactors I am planning for my sump. Please let me know if this sounds like a well rounded setup and if it covers all the bases, or if one might cancel out another. Tank will be a 65gal mixed coral with approx. 20-30gal sump. Thanks!

Carbon and Phosphate (not mixed together) in one (1) TLF 150 reactor

Calcium reactor

Bio-pellet reactor

Zeo-Vit reactor (added approx. 1 year down the road when I begin to add SPS)

intarsiabox
01-02-2014, 12:28 AM
As some may know I am setting up my first system and have been doing tons of research. So much research that I believe I am starting to confuse myself in regards to which reactors I need to run, and combinations thereof. The following is a list of reactors I am planning for my sump. Please let me know if this sounds like a well rounded setup and if it covers all the bases, or if one might cancel out another. Tank will be a 65gal mixed coral with approx. 20-30gal sump. Thanks!

Carbon and Phosphate (not mixed together) in one (1) TLF 150 reactor

Calcium reactor

Bio-pellet reactor

Zeo-Vit reactor (added approx. 1 year down the road when I begin to add SPS)

Bio-Pellet and zeovit reactors can not be run at the same time. I would wait to see if you even need a calcium reactor, dosing is another alternative if you need it. If you want to wait on the zeovit reactor I would just run a carbon and a GFO reactor for now. You also won't need the GFO when the zeovit comes on line. Or you could just start right off with Zeo and carbon.

mark
01-02-2014, 12:30 AM
guess this ties into Dearth post (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=103528) about changing ways. Say this since there are reef tanks out there without any of the equipment listed

intarsiabox
01-02-2014, 01:17 AM
guess this ties into Dearth post (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=103528) about changing ways. Say this since there are reef tanks out there without any of the equipment listed

True enough. I only had a carbon reactor for awhile but it was PITA to change carbon in it so I just went back to passive flow. I have yet to see a reef system that is set up and maintained the exact same way, some look really good, some don't. There is no real magic bullet.

Aquattro
01-02-2014, 01:20 AM
There is no real magic bullet.

except water changes :)

intarsiabox
01-02-2014, 01:28 AM
except water changes :)

You're supposed to change the water???:lol:

brotherd
01-02-2014, 01:46 AM
That's crazy talk. LOL! Change your water and test. Adjust accordingly. Be patient.