PDA

View Full Version : Livestock from the US to Canada.

Snowgrrl83
01-01-2014, 05:03 PM
I think you should fully support your LFS, but out of curiosity, how does it work at the border if you order livestock online from the US or take a roadtrip to go shoppung for some corals/fish/inverts in the States to bring them back home to Canada? Are there restrictions? Permits needed? Info?

SoloSK71
01-01-2014, 05:19 PM
Yes. Lots and lots and lots of documentation and a CITES permit.

Start here (http://www.ec.gc.ca/cites/)

Charles

darb
01-01-2014, 07:14 PM
A couple of years ago I drove across with freshwater fish a couple of times without any issue and without any documentation, except for a receipt with genus and species names on it. A few casual questions like "what kind of fish is it?" "can I see?" "why didn't you buy it in Vancouver?" but it was pretty casual.

I think I heard that you can't bring corals across; I was considering making a fish and snail run myself soon.

If you are going to try and drive across with nothing more than I reciept, I would:

a.) be prepared to have them confiscated.
b.) make sure that they are not on the red list
c.) have a receipt with the genus and species name on it.

There are probably already a thread or two on the matter kicking around.

freddy
01-01-2014, 07:39 PM
I live 10min from the border never had any problem with fish or corals as long as they are not on the endagered list and they told me I cannot bring live rock across anymore,dry rock is ok,I do all my saltwater shopping across the line because the closest lfs is 5 hrs away.

mohammadali
01-01-2014, 10:24 PM
one of the best golden LFS in BC is J&L Aquatics id rather to buy of BC for more expansive then anything in USA

freddy
01-02-2014, 02:24 AM
Yeh but since you are in surrey and I am 9-10hrs away you don't have to pay the shipping costs.If shipping cost's go down then I would glady buy from them.

Myka
01-02-2014, 04:22 AM
You need a Fish & Wildlife permit (~$200 regardless of order size) for all marine ornamental livestock. Anything requiring a CITES permit (all LPS and SPS corals, seahorses, clams) is nearly impossible to import because most vendors will not be willing or able to do the CITES application for you (seller has to do it) unless your order is very large and they have done the process before. Plus you usally have to pay customs duties for buying outside of Canada. In all honesty, it is easier to order from the Philippines (or ANYWHERE else) than the USA because the country of origin just needs a simple CITES permit where importing from the USA requires a RE-export permit since the livestock didn't originate in the USA. They don't recognize aquacultured fish or corals as originating in the USA or Canada either btw.

You can ignore all this and just drive through the border hoping for the best, but that is called smuggling and can result in huge fines, jail time, and a criminal record. ;)

Back in the 90's I used to drive across the border (we lived near a very small border crossing) and brought all sorts of stuff back all the time. I did notice later in the 90's they started asking more questions and I was more likely to have to pay customs duties.

darb
01-26-2014, 11:20 PM
Just did a run on Saturday.

Pulled up to the booth and got asked what's in the box and told her. Got sent into the office with a yellow slip of paper. Spoke with a CBSA rep, he asked me for a list of the names, I gave it to him and he told me to take a seat.

A few minutes later he returned and said they were all good to be brought in and proceeded to tell be about the AIRS website (http://www.inspection.gc.ca/plants/imports/airs/eng/1300127512994/1300127627409) and said if you want to save yourself some time, next time, run the names yourself and bring the printouts.

And BTW, I shopped online for one primary reason: I got three fish at once that I had been looking for, for a while. There is pretty much only one decent marine store in vancouver these days ...

Myka
02-01-2014, 01:42 AM
A few minutes later he returned and said they were all good to be brought in and proceeded to tell be about the AIRS website (http://www.inspection.gc.ca/plants/imports/airs/eng/1300127512994/1300127627409) and said if you want to save yourself some time, next time, run the names yourself and bring the printouts.

I'm not really sure what the AIRS website is all about...I typed in Hippocampus erectus (which requires CITES permit) and the website mentions nothing about CITES. I'm not sure what the CFIA has to do with the importation of ornamental fish - unless they are food fish. It seems any time I deal with a CBS officer there is a different story. It can be frustrating.