PDA

View Full Version : 2014- Power out!

Hairytank
01-01-2014, 07:33 AM
A transformer exploded a block away a half hour ago....so no power and it is -11. Thought it was fireworks at first... Have started gas fireplace in same room as tank (will monitor for co2) and pouring in water with a bucket periodically to aerate..

Any other suggestions as I sit in the dark and hope power is restored soon.qq

Yahhh| power was just turned back on...

Happy New Year!

gregzz4
01-01-2014, 08:16 AM
So, any thoughts on what you'd like to put in place for the next outage ? :smile:

chef
01-01-2014, 04:00 PM
You've got an mp10, may i strongly recommend a battery backup. At least you'll have circulation and 1 less worry.

BlueTang<3
01-01-2014, 05:30 PM
The battery backups are only good for short time and then the battery seems to expire, i took mine apart and made my own from a car battery I can run 4 mp40s for a week probably.

If its possible it doesn't hurt to get a battery powered air pump or if ou can but a small generator 1000-2000 watt

Power doesn't go out much but I bought one for the just i case days

chef
01-01-2014, 06:01 PM
This hobby is all about "just in case". lol

kien
01-01-2014, 06:42 PM
I'm going to give them another hour then I'm bringing out my generator :-)

Hairytank
01-01-2014, 08:22 PM
Looking at a 900 watt UPC that should run my main DC pump for close to 1 hour. This should aerate the water enough and keep the sump and main tank alive. Power outages are very rare here, but it would be good to have a backup.

Magickiwi
01-01-2014, 09:15 PM
Kien I'm just up the hill from you and I didn't lose power! I feel lucky now :-)

Maverick00
01-01-2014, 09:52 PM
I bought a battery backup from futureshop last year (no pun intended) and wasnt overly impressed with it, ended up taking it back. Im liking the idea of automotive batteries and wouldnt mind making a project of it one day.

stephengammage
01-01-2014, 10:29 PM
Really everyone should have a battery powered pump or something to circulate the water i didnt power went out and in 6 hours tank dropped 8 degrees co2 sky rocketed in no time and no movement nitrate buildup literally slaughtered everything i was away for the day and nearly cried upon return .... back to square one 25$ would have saved 400$ in the long run and saved me alot of work any newbies take it into consideration

kacairns
01-02-2014, 01:58 AM
The battery backups are only good for short time and then the battery seems to expire, i took mine apart and made my own from a car battery I can run 4 mp40s for a week probably.

If its possible it doesn't hurt to get a battery powered air pump or if ou can but a small generator 1000-2000 watt

Power doesn't go out much but I bought one for the just i case days

You modified your battery backup to use a car battery instead of its own or your made your own using a car battery and a inverter?

Making the switch from Fresh to Salt and I like tech so thinking of adding something to my own system! =)

Dearth
01-02-2014, 02:20 AM
I bought 2 UPS 1 from Future shop it failed ironically enough 3 days after warrantee was up second one I bought from Staples had it for 3 months then it frazzled out saving up my money for a generator for the amount I spent on the two UPS I coulda bought a decent generator.

Sort of puts it into perspective as what happened in the east could very well happen out here in the west spending a couple hundred on a generator that may rarely get used seems to be a wise investment especially in the climate in which we live rather be safe than broke

Vancouver Reefer
01-02-2014, 03:00 AM
Here is a good write up to a DIY battery back up build:

http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums/diy/71986-emergency-battery-backup-any-tank-any-size-step-step.html

VR

kacairns
01-02-2014, 07:53 AM
Here is a good write up to a DIY battery back up build:

http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums/diy/71986-emergency-battery-backup-any-tank-any-size-step-step.html

VR

Thanks,

Interesting read for sure. I rigged up a power inverter in my work vehicle for those times I'm at a job site without power, exact same principle to that link except run off the trucks battery instead.