PDA

View Full Version : WTB Blue-green Chromis, Edmonton

Beverly
07-19-2004, 02:04 AM
While changing tanks, I put our lone blue green chromis that had an established relationship with a pair of ocellaris in our 72g with the intention of adding more chromis for a small school. Currently, in the 72g is a blue sided fairy wrasse. The chromis is hiding most of the time, but does come out to eat. I'm sure it misses its ocellaris buddies :sad:

Have looked in a couple of lfs and there are none to be had. Anyone with four chromis they'd like a new home for, please PM me. Have sandbed or cash for trade.

marine newbie
07-19-2004, 02:10 AM
Hi Bev,

Saw a tank full of the blue-green chromis at Big Al's on Saturday.

John

Beverly
07-19-2004, 02:15 AM
John,

Hardly ever buy from BA's. What kind of condition were they in? What other tankmates did they have? Generally, were all tankmates healthy looking and not scratching or anything?

TIA :smile:

Beverly
07-19-2004, 05:16 PM
Quick update on the lone chromis.... It's out and about a little bit more today, venturing as far as a couple of feet from its hiding place which is now in plain sight :smile: IME, chromis want to school. In the 42g it schooled with the ocellaris pair. Don't ask me how that happened. I'm thinking it's on the little guy's mind to school with the fairy wrasse, if only it could get up the courage.

Might check out BA's though, but am not ever really impressed by the way they stuff their tanks to the brim with fish :sad:

DOO-E
07-19-2004, 06:34 PM
I have 2 that i will give to you for free if you pay shipping. Doing by bus wont be bad only a 5 or 6 hour drive from tabe rot edmonton by bus the fish will be fine.

Beverly
07-19-2004, 09:00 PM
Too bad you weren't closer, doo-e, I'd pick them up from you myself.

Quinn
07-19-2004, 09:18 PM
Gonna be too hot inside a bus cargo compartment I'd say. I'd risk it in the spring or fall with heat packs but not in the middle of summer, especially with the recent heat wave.

Cap'n
07-19-2004, 10:35 PM
I have had trouble trying to add green chromis so they would school with those already in my tank. I found any size difference at all would not be tolerated. Maybe you could try doing some close-as-you-can-measurements at home and at the store, or give your lone guy up and start with a fresh school.

Not sure if this can help you at all Beverly, just a heads up of what happened with me.

Beverly
07-20-2004, 12:42 AM
cptclever,

Thanks for the heads-up. The lone chromis is in a tank that will soon be upgraded, probably this weekend. If the new chromis (chromises, chromii, oh where's boB when you need him :biggrin: ) and the one I have all go into the tank at the same time, perhaps the acceptance problems will not occur?

sleeman
07-20-2004, 02:14 AM
Bev,

Saltwater Fantasies website shows that he has some in stock. Just plug your nose. 5.95 a piece.

Cheers,

Al

Beverly
07-20-2004, 03:07 AM
Al,

Was there yesterday. Had no chromis, but had purple fire fish :cool: His website needs updating.

Cap'n
07-20-2004, 03:49 AM
all go into the tank at the same time, perhaps the acceptance problems will not occur?

Because the chromis school in the open water column they really don't have an established territory, except maybe a personal spot to sleep, so I don't think being already there will give your lonely fish an advantage. They remind me of a flock of chickens and any difference gets pecked!

ed99
07-20-2004, 04:07 AM
I haven't been able to keep a school of chromiseses (?) in my 92 gal. I started with 3 and was quickly down to 2, I later added 3 more but then ended back at 2 again. The larger one is still aggessive to the smaller one but he seems to tolerate it. The only time I noticed them school was when they were new to the tank of if a new larger fish was added. However once they settled down they went back to fighting. I think some people on this board have had success with multiple chromis but I won't try again until I have a larger tank.

P.S. My ocellaris and pink skunk clowns all go at it so I think non-aggressive is a relative measure with all of these fish!

Ed

Beverly
07-23-2004, 02:06 PM
Upgraded the tank where the chromis and fairy wrasse were over the lastt two days from a 72g to a BB 120g. Had the two fish in a tub with corals for about a day and a half.

Anyway, acclimatized them to the new tank, and plopped them in. For an hour, the wrasse checked out all the possible sleeping places in the spaces under the rock and the chromis was not to be seen. I think the wrasse was a little perturbed the was no sandbed, but since it is the kind of wrasse that sleeps in the rockwork and not in the sandbed, I'm sure he'll be fine.

Today, the wrasse is still checking out all the nooks and crannies, but the chromis is swimming in the free space in the front of the tank :cool: When the wrasse comes out of the rockwork, the chromis tries schooling with it. Very nice to see the two fish out and about. May not need any more chromis if the wrasse and chromis become buddies :smile: