PDA

View Full Version : DC recirculating pump for Calcium Reactor

theokie
12-31-2013, 09:48 PM
So I'm starting to assemble the components of a Calcium Reactor setup and was wondering if anyone has used a DC pump for the recirculating portion. I like the lower power consumption and variability of them, already have 4 running various parts of my system.

Most setups I see use either mag drives, iwaki or panworld type pumps. I was wondering with using course media would one of the medium DC pumps have enough head capability to keep things flowing nicely?

I've already bought a Masterflex Variable Speed Peristaltic on Ebay to handle the feed portion, and have plenty of C02 gear floating around from my freshwater planted days.

mark
12-31-2013, 10:16 PM
There's some big DC pumps so sure could push through the media but for power savings, when had my rx was using a Mag3 and spec'd at only 37w.

KrazyKuch
12-31-2013, 10:22 PM
I say go for it.....The new Reef octopus calcium reactors are using the dc pumps

theokie
12-31-2013, 10:58 PM
I guess I should also mention that I'm aiming for about 20lbs of media, looking at moding two of the Big Blue 4.5x20" filter housings for my media chambers. With a third as my effluent chamber