PDA

View Full Version : Help: Cool off tank

bear27
07-19-2004, 12:47 AM
I went away for the weekend for my cousins wedding and when i came home i looked in my tank and nothing was very happy so i started looking for possible causes and found my temp to be 85 deg despite a 12 inch fan running over it

I turned it to its highest setting(was on med) and topped it of to allow the air more direct access but i think i might lose one of my clams,Hydnopora and my acopora any ideas

powerboy
07-19-2004, 12:59 AM
i dont have a chiller, but heres what i do to keep my tank temp regualted. i fill up milk jugs with water and put them in my deep freeze. i usually have anywhere from 4-6 ready and all i do is drop one in the sump and wait until its thawed, and repeat process. this method allows my tank to never creep higher than 82 even in the hottest weather.
along with evaporative cooling (which it seems you have) it works quite well.

good luck, hope the tip helps you

snaggle
07-19-2004, 01:05 AM
The temp got too high cause of the weather I amtinking you house was too hot if you dont have centeral AC then you can bye a room AC or a chiller but I heard that they make the house hot. I have a room AC that I bouth this summer and so far no problems and also if you can keep the fis in the basment it is cooler and more stable temp year round. well so I have found.

bear27
07-19-2004, 01:06 AM
I don't have a sump so id have to put them in my main tank which is OK if it helps since Ive come home (2hrs) Ive managed to drop the temp to 82 just by rearranging the fan when will i know if my corals will make it the accopora seems to be shedding alot of zoozanthelle so hes the one I'm worried about most

Bryan
07-19-2004, 05:26 AM
My project for this summer

http://www.thereeftank.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24771

hockey nut
07-19-2004, 08:09 AM
I went and bought a large ceilling fan for the room the tank was in. Now my tank never creeps over 82 and my room is much cooler now. hth

EmilyB
07-19-2004, 08:35 AM
I try not to run the halides in high temps. Storm days. :mrgreen:

There are so few hot days here in Calgary - I would be worried very much if we were away on holidays, but forget that for now... :rolleyes: :lol:

Beverly
07-19-2004, 02:32 PM
When I had my 28g sub-tropical seahorse tank last summer, I absolutely had to keep tank temps below 76F. Even though we have AC in the rooms where our tanks are, sometimes the temp would edge up to 76F.

Knowing there would be days when I wouldn't get the AC on in time, I always had SW ice cubes stored in a container in the freezer. I'd drop in a couple of dozen small cubes into the tank and in 10 minutes, the temp would drop a degree or so.

Without a sump, you could add larger cubes of SW ice (say, medium yogurt container size) to the tank every so often to slowly bring down tank temps along with the fan system you have set up.

Willito
07-19-2004, 04:20 PM
Powerboy,
The frozen milk jugs that you use, how long does it take to thaw one? Is it a 2 or 4 Litre? Thx.

powerboy
07-19-2004, 06:53 PM
Powerboy,
The frozen milk jugs that you use, how long does it take to thaw one? Is it a 2 or 4 Litre? Thx.

they are the 3.78l milk jugs found at the grocery store. it takes about an hour or 2 to thaw (depending on water temp). if i want to really bring down the temp i will take the cap off of the milk jug and let the sump water mix with it. this method allows much quicker melting of the block of ice, which i try not to do as to not shock the tank inhabitants with a rapid temp change.

the best advice i can give is to try it out and find what works best for you.

Quinn
07-19-2004, 06:57 PM
As I recall, salinity is affected by temperature, although I'm not sure what the factor of the relationship is. You might want to keep this in mind.

powerboy
07-19-2004, 07:08 PM
As I recall, salinity is affected by temperature, although I'm not sure what the factor of the relationship is. You might want to keep this in mind.

it does indeed, but i think for my method and only having a 2-3 degree (80-82) swing i dont think its really going to factor in too much. the whole basis behind my method is to sustain a constant temperature, not allow it to climb very high then try to bring it down. by experimenting i have found the ideals for my particular situation. never more than 82 and thats with all the lights 'a blazin :biggrin: