PDA

View Full Version : Nylon Fasteners

darb
12-30-2013, 07:10 PM
Apart from the big box hardware stores which don't seem to stock it, anyone know of a good source for nylon threaded bar around Vancouver?

monocus
12-31-2013, 01:55 AM
make it yourself with a tap and die set

The Grizz
12-31-2013, 04:08 AM
Have you checked with the hobby shops out there?

mike31154
12-31-2013, 04:24 AM

+1. Not sure what size you need, but even here in lowly Vernon a hobby shop had some tiny nylon screws that I used to fasten my LED multi-chips to their heat sinks. As far as the larger screws, I have to go to Home Depot in Kelowna, ours here doesn't stock them.

darb
12-31-2013, 06:05 AM
make it yourself with a tap and die set

considering I don't have a tap and die and would still have to source raw nylon rod, I am probably just buying the finished product.

I would be more along the lines of industrial supplies, looking for something fairly substantial.

+1. Not sure what size you need, but even here in lowly Vernon a hobby shop had some tiny nylon screws that I used to fasten my LED multi-chips to their heat sinks. As far as the larger screws, I have to go to Home Depot in Kelowna, ours here doesn't stock them.

looking for something at least maybe 1/4 inch in diameter. what I want to do is drill holes in my live rock and use the threaded rod as feet essentially so that I don't have to bury my rock in three inches of substrate.

The Grizz
12-31-2013, 06:16 AM
looking for something at least maybe 1/4 inch in diameter. what I want to do is drill holes in my live rock and use the threaded rod as feet essentially so that I don't have to bury my rock in three inches of substrate.

I have seen people use acrylic rod, easier to get I would imagine. I got some at Sabic in Calgary. You can also get plastic pipe at Micheals.

Ron99
12-31-2013, 08:23 AM
Pacific Fasteners Ltd. in Burnaby. 1st Ave near Boundary. Pretty sure that's where I got some a few years ago.

mike31154
12-31-2013, 04:30 PM
If the goal is to raise rock off the bottom, have you considered using large diameter pvc pipe? That's what I've used. Drilled some extra holes around the sides to allow burrowing critters to do their thing & minimize the chance of total stagnation. Actually I used black ABS which is buoyant, so a bit of a challenge to keep down while positioning the rock if you're doing it with water in the tank. Anyhow, I'm sure the white stuff would work also & it's easy to source. Next time I do this I'll probably cut the pieces into half (semi-circles) & silicone them to the bottom. Will take a bit of fiddling about to get it right I'm sure, but no more work than drilling into rock & less messy.

https://tsl4pa.blu.livefilestore.com/y2p5dASI9L3S-qlSVyp0DR4quIDVyIrDK4UHw46CZ4p3D2v25--eSWnDME6-s6dHZgFhanMPEbR7kOMycTJMx5w4E-0eHE1KOYWPqv5Qw_29sc/P1010733.jpg?psid=1