PDA

View Full Version : GSP wall?

jason604
12-29-2013, 07:22 PM
I was debating if I should glue my GSP to the back of my glass to let it slowly form a complete back wall. Anyone here done this with success? Post ur FRS if u did =)

Coralgurl
12-29-2013, 07:53 PM
My gsp has spread and attached itself to the back of my tank glass. No pics ATM, but I love how it looks. Not sure how gluing would work, I'd be cautious with snails.

JmeJReefer
12-29-2013, 09:20 PM
used a magnetic frag tile to start out...worked well

Coasting
12-29-2013, 09:29 PM
I super glued mine to the back, both to the acrylic overflow and the glass. No issues. Snails go on it all the time as well (no worry when it was glued as the glue is cured long before they get a chance to get near it)
Id like it to cover most of the entire back if I can, one day :)

This was it when I glued pieces in... August/September. 2nd pic is what its like now.
http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l88/Lolaandthecrowd/Fish%20Tank%20-%20SW/20130813_084905.jpg

http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l88/Lolaandthecrowd/20131225_124935.jpg

http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l88/Lolaandthecrowd/20131217_101214.jpg

Doug
12-29-2013, 10:34 PM
I was trying to find my 2001 tank but cant find it. Anyways, it had two large corner angle overflows and both were covered in gsp. One side was so thick in layers, a pair of chromis used it as a home and layed eggs in it..I just started it by putting the colony close to the glass and away it went.

mike31154
12-30-2013, 01:29 AM
I tried gluing GSP to the back glass several times but it fell off every time after a few days. I think it helps if you have some coraline on the glass first. Gave up on the GSP in my case, didn't stick even with grungy glass, but I have some fast spreading brown zoas or palys that have started a colony on the back glass. They simply spread there on their own from the rock work close by with no human intervention a-tall.

martinmcnally
12-30-2013, 01:34 AM
Just keep in mind its going to try to spread to the rock and kill everything in its path. :sad:

Aysha
12-30-2013, 01:56 AM
I corafixed mine to my back overflow...be aware that you will have to take a scalpel to the intakes once in awhile.

mike31154
12-30-2013, 02:22 AM
Just keep in mind its going to try to spread to the rock and kill everything in its path. :sad:

Shouldn't be that difficult to scrape off the glass where it may get too close to rock work you don't want it on. A thin blade under the edge to get it started & you can usually yank off a sizable piece. In my case I couldn't get it to stick to the glass even with glue. You'd have to be pretty neglectful of your tank for some time for that to happen. I have GSP on my rock that regularly encroaches on other coral that is considered more desirable. Doesn't take that much effort to remove what's needed.

On the other hand, if you have a canopy with little room to manoeuvre & a deep tank, it could also be a chore...

RSM
12-30-2013, 03:52 AM

This pic was from a year ago. Since then I have removed all of it as it covered almost 80% of the back wall\overflow. Way too much Gsp!

hillegom
12-30-2013, 04:58 AM
I think TomR has a full back wall with gsp.Looks really good.

Steve...
12-30-2013, 05:13 AM
how do you guys get your gap to spread so fast? I have a big colony in my tank but its stayed the same for over a year and hasn't grown that much. Are there any specific conditions that they like? I thought they are suppose to be really easy to grow..

Doug
12-30-2013, 05:55 AM
My secret back then, besides a healthy tank was a 250w Iwasaki 65k halide, plus a couple reg actinics. Nothing else. It grew like a weed. I kept it to the main rock it came from and the glass overflows, where it was easily cut for sale or control.

jason604
12-30-2013, 06:11 AM
Thx guys to show ur experience. Back glass full of GSP looks amazing but the problems it has seem to weigh more than the pros. I think GSP grows much faster when it encrusted on something.

Magickiwi
12-30-2013, 01:51 PM
how do you guys get your gap to spread so fast? I have a big colony in my tank but its stayed the same for over a year and hasn't grown that much. Are there any specific conditions that they like? I thought they are suppose to be really easy to grow..

Same here. I've got a very healthy tank where most corals thrive but can't seem to really get GSP to take off. Same with Zoas, daisy or glove polyps and one or two more. Maybe it is something I'm not feeding or possibly a nutrient that another coral is out-competing them for.

Madreefer
12-30-2013, 03:46 PM
Same here. I've got a very healthy tank where most corals thrive but can't seem to really get GSP to take off. Same with Zoas, daisy or glove polyps and one or two more. Maybe it is something I'm not feeding or possibly a nutrient that another coral is out-competing them for.

Consider yourself lucky:lol:

Coralgurl
12-30-2013, 04:02 PM
mine has only really taken off on the back of the tank over the past few months, noticed significant growth. My tank hasn't been "healthy" and thriving per se, but the GSP seems to like the conditions. Trying to get back into better maintenance and will see if that changes things.

Magickiwi
12-30-2013, 04:04 PM
mine has only really taken off on the back of the tank over the past few months, noticed significant growth. My tank hasn't been "healthy" and thriving per se, but the GSP seems to like the conditions. Trying to get back into better maintenance and will see if that changes things.

Didn't I get my GSP frags from you back in the summer? Maybe it's the particular variety you have that is easily controlled. You could make millions! :D

Coralgurl
12-30-2013, 04:22 PM
Didn't I get my GSP frags from you back in the summer? Maybe it's the particular variety you have that is easily controlled. You could make millions! :D

You did! if you want to try some more with a bigger frag, let me know, I'll break it off the back wall...lol:lol: