PDA

View Full Version : LED Question

Bugsy
12-29-2013, 12:45 AM
Has anyone heard that Florida Ricordeas do not like LED lights and will not do well under them?

Albertareefer51
12-29-2013, 04:35 AM
I have a whole garden full if floridas under led and are doing great. They were under radion pros and now under ai hydra 52 at 60%. So I would say they are ok

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

Slyguy00
12-29-2013, 06:27 AM
My ricordias grow like crazy under my leds. Anybody who blames leds for not being able to grow something needs to look a little deeper into there setup.They are completely adjustable allowing you to use as much or as little power as you like, as well as colour.

craigwmiller
12-29-2013, 06:40 AM
I have 10 ricordias under Hydras with no issues, opening large and are very bright.

freeze
12-29-2013, 07:08 AM
I have 4 under AI Sol super blues and the are doing well, 1 is on the way if splitting.

Bugsy
12-29-2013, 04:08 PM
Okay that is great to know, I have a pico tank of 2 gallons. I took a break from the hobby two years ago, at that time I had my 3 gallon going and ordered these new LED lights, I never had the chance to use them as I wanted to take a break and sold everything, now I am back again but only keeping florida ricordeas this time and will only have a couple crabs and a couple sexy shrimp in time no fish at all.

My previous pico tank I had no issues with at all but that was PC lights, this time different story let me tell you. My rics have shrunk in size and lost their color. They are still here and seem to be hanging on, I had my water tested last week but since then have switched over to RODI water now have to retest again.

But the lights I have I bought from Modular LED here on the site, they are the Eco Pico Fixture, nice fixture for these little tanks but is it the right kind of par and light for Florida Rics??

In another forum it shows the par readings of this fixture on a 7.5 gallon and says that the fixture is not strong enough penetration for that size of tank.

I have the 3 strips on this little fixture, each strip has 2 x 12,000k White and 1 x 453 nm Blue each strip is 3 watts in power

I only have 1 strip going at this time, I am also shading the rics as they seem to really react to full light. I do not have the dimmer switch for this fixture as I want to make sure these are the correct type of spectrum for a tank of this first. Then I believe I have to buy 3 dimmers??? Waiting to hear back from Martin on that.

Any thoughts on this fixture greatly appreciated.

mike31154
12-29-2013, 06:12 PM
Two years is a long time in the LED world these days, much has changed, including the use of some different colours such as red & green of all things! However, those ecopicos should really be fine for your tank & not sure why you'd be only using 1 of the 3 you have. According to the specs, each individual LED is only 1 watt, so very low power for todays standard. Most fixtures are using at least 3 watt LEDs. You do mention your ric appears to react to the light, but I'm pretty sure you can't really hurt them with all 3 strips on. If you wish & are able to, you can always raise them up a little higher & bring them down gradually as the ricordia gets accustomed to them. The colour combo of 12,000K white & 453nm Blue is very biased to the blue spectrum & your rics may benefit from a few photons in the warmer colour range.

Bugsy
12-29-2013, 06:48 PM
Sent you a pm Mike