PDA

View Full Version : Is there a coral that you can't seem to keep alive?

spit.fire
12-28-2013, 05:31 PM
The 2 I can't seem to keep are acans and birdsnest (with the exception of bop)

wreck
12-28-2013, 05:34 PM
Candy canes for me.

Reef Pilot
12-28-2013, 05:36 PM
Strange on the birdsnest. I have 3 different kinds, and all growing like weeds. Having said that, I do have to keep them down low, almost partially shaded.

Aquattro
12-28-2013, 05:42 PM
I do have to keep them down low, almost partially shaded.

I've found that mine always do better right at the surface under the lights :)

Currently, I'm having trouble growing digitata -go figure!!

spit.fire
12-28-2013, 05:45 PM
I've found that mine always do better right at the surface under the lights :)

Currently, I'm having trouble growing digitata -go figure!!

Tbh I haven't had any digi in a long time, I have a fear of nudis so I won't add any more monti now that my Jedi mind trick and rainbow are growing good

Reef Pilot
12-28-2013, 05:54 PM
I have orange digis, also growing well, but they do need a lot of light. When I found a neighboring SPS start shading one, that portion would die off.

I did try Zoas about a year ago, a couple times. But they all melted on me. Even moved them to a separate frag tank, but no luck. I took a frag back to the LFS (Paul's place) where it was examined for possible pests, but none found. So I have given up on them, for now.

SoloSK71
12-28-2013, 05:56 PM
Goniopora :(

Charles

mrhasan
12-28-2013, 05:58 PM
I have orange digis, also growing well, but they do need a lot of light. When I found a neighboring SPS start shading one, that portion would die off.

I did try Zoas about a year ago, a couple times. But they all melted on me. Even moved them to a separate frag tank, but no luck. I took a frag back to the LFS (Paul's place) where it was examined for possible pests, but none found. So I have given up on them, for now.

+1. I always laugh silently when someone says "zoas are easy!". Or maybe its just me :sad:

And never had success with any euphyllia coral. Those damned thing wouldn't grow in my tank other than killing things around!

spit.fire
12-28-2013, 05:58 PM
Goniopora :(

Charles

Have you tried alveopora?

Madreefer
12-28-2013, 06:04 PM
Zoos, digitata and pink poccilopora. Only cuz my dreaded clove polyps would smother them. Cloves have been gone for quite a while now and now things are doin great.

denny_C
12-28-2013, 06:07 PM
millies in the red to pink range , every god dang time lol

blues, yellow, greens etc no problem flourish even but no not anything in the red range , funny though this is only for millies:(

Dearth
12-28-2013, 06:17 PM
Anemones I can't seem to keep these guys alive at any cost however give me a Brain coral and it will flourish

Coral Hoarder
12-28-2013, 07:01 PM
Clove Kenya trees toad stools Yuma's not rics just yumes fail I don't know what's wrong that I can't keep basick corals lol

whatcaneyedo
12-28-2013, 07:02 PM
Fungia, Xenia, and Ricorida once flourished in my tank but in recent years just die slowly. I think its because its much cleaner now. I have relatively fewer fish and skim more heavily.

Reef Pilot
12-28-2013, 07:05 PM
millies in the red to pink range , every god dang time lol

blues, yellow, greens etc no problem flourish even but no not anything in the red range , funny though this is only for millies:(
Hmmm, interesting,... mine is the opposite. I have a pink milli that is growing like crazy (had to prune off some frags a couple times), while I have powder blue milli that isn't doing anything. It just exists, and waves its fuzzy polyps, with hardly any growth. The only difference is they are on different sides of the tank, and the blue milli has a bit less light, and maybe flow is not quite as strong in that spot.

Magickiwi
12-28-2013, 07:15 PM
I seem to have pretty good luck with coral in general but for whatever reason I can't seem to GROW certain corals. Zoanthids, Acans, Stag Coral, and Pink Chalice survive and look pretty enough but don't grow larger. My Ponape Birdsnest, Digitata, Torch Coral, Frogspawn, Palythoas, Montipora, Green Birdsnet, and Fuzzy Acropora are all doing extremely well.

Magickiwi
12-28-2013, 07:58 PM
I seem to have pretty good luck with coral in general but for whatever reason I can't seem to GROW certain corals. Zoanthids, Acans, Stag Coral, and Pink Chalice survive and look pretty enough but don't grow larger. My Ponape Birdsnest, Digitata, Torch Coral, Frogspawn, Palythoas, Montipora, Green Birdsnet, and Fuzzy Acropora are all doing extremely well.

Forget to mention that daisy and glove polyps and also GSP won't grown in my tank either.

rzadun
12-28-2013, 08:29 PM
I have never been able to keep elegance. I have seen beautifull pieces but will not buy them , can not keep them alive.

Starry
12-28-2013, 09:18 PM
For me its chalise's. They just slowly fade away. :(

Reef Pilot
12-28-2013, 09:24 PM
I had a couple die on me. They don't like a lot of light. And keep them away from other corals, esp LPS. They are not good at defending themselves.

But I do have a couple that are doing OK now.

Proteus
12-29-2013, 05:18 PM
Chalice for me. I have a frag now and it's doing Ok ftb

dudley moray
01-02-2014, 01:31 AM
For me it's finger leather just won't grow 4 separate tanks 4 separate occasions

magikof7
01-02-2014, 07:33 PM
I can't keep Blastos or Chalices.

darkreef
01-03-2014, 05:22 AM
Stylo's lately lost a prize piece two weeks ago.
I just had to get attached because it looks like elk antlers
But now it looks like a dead rack . :(
Skin just fell right off . Polyp's were extended the whole time .
Even seen them blowing around then taank extended from the skin .
Weird

And pink zoas and sps . Anything pink

KPG007
01-03-2014, 04:41 PM
For me Acans don't do well unless I spot feed them. I have a flower pot that is slowly receding, but apparently it's one of the tougher red variety.

Kelly

LoJack
01-03-2014, 04:59 PM
For me it was Birdsnest and Digitata's … easiest of all SPS, and it just couldn't be done.

Finally, they're working for me. I've had great success with my green bird and Orange digi. I just picked up two Forest Fire Digitata frags and hopefully the success can continue, this is one of my favourite SPS corals available.

And along with most, I kill almost any zoanthid I buy … easy to difficult … they all seem to melt.

I have a frag of tubbs blues that have hung around for about a year with almost no growth … and each polyp is smaller than when I got them initially.

Ken
01-03-2014, 07:23 PM
Can't seem to keep Zenia, lots been given to me and I can kill them. Ken

eli@fijireefrock.com
01-03-2014, 07:55 PM
Its always been green star polyp and xenia as I love to have the bottom of my tank loaded with them I tried it many time with no luck...And lately my mushrooms are slowly receding to nothing :sad:

Reef Pilot
01-03-2014, 10:47 PM
Its always been green star polyp and xenia as I love to have the bottom of my tank loaded with them I tried it many time with no luck...And lately my mushrooms are slowly receding to nothing :sad:
It's all that HC GFO that you are using...:razz: