PDA

View Full Version : What is the most quiet return pump?

SharkBait48
12-28-2013, 03:55 AM
Hey guys just been going crazy from how loud my return pump has been, just wondering what the best type of in sump return pump is for sound, flow and price?!

Thanks!

BlueTang<3
12-28-2013, 04:08 AM
Are you running internal or external? How much flow are you looking for ? What sizes your current plumbing, how much head do you have, what size is your tank and how much room do you have in the sump.
Ect

SharkBait48
12-28-2013, 04:16 AM
It's a 75 gal tank with a 30ish gal sump, flow rate I don't remember. I believe it is external I have about 20 inches of over head space and I have have about an 8 by 6 inch part if real estate for the pump.

BlueTang<3
12-28-2013, 04:29 AM
Well I would look into these personally I have 5 of them running in my system and they are silent I ternal or external. For the cost I find them pretty good. It all depends on plumbing and size of the drains on your tank how much flow your overflow/drain can handle. Lot of variables in choosing a new pump.

http://www.coralvue.com/circulation-pumps

Probally go for the 700 GPh model

Ehiem pumps are also pretty quiet and reliable.

SharkBait48
12-28-2013, 04:43 AM
Okay thanks for the link, I think I have 1 and a half inch drains.
Def in the market for a new one

toytech
12-28-2013, 05:21 AM
I bought a sicce syncra pump on the recommendation it is a dead quiet pump , though I have yet to use it . I was very surprised how small the 550 gph pump is and its internal so that should help with the noise.

The Guy
12-28-2013, 05:31 AM
Hey guys just been going crazy from how loud my return pump has been, just wondering what the best type of in sump return pump is for sound, flow and price?!

Thanks!
I use 24 volt DC Speedwave return pumps,dead quiet and you can control the speed I use a 1320gph on my 90 gallon and it works great.
http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/pumps/submersible-aquarium-pumps/speedwave-dc-submersible-pumps.html

Dearth
12-28-2013, 03:09 PM
I run the 900 mag drive pump it is very quiet it is internal and have no issues with it at all.

craigwmiller
12-28-2013, 03:49 PM
I have 3 of the 2640 SpeedWave's in my sump (return + closed loop + utility), and they are silent on full power. I can hear the bubbles from the skimmer over the 3 pumps together.

One of the most important things with pump noises to ensure is that their vibrations are isolated from your plumbing.... It's amazing how a small vibration can be magnified and be very loud if it resonates through your entire return plumbing. Flex tubing right from the pump (if even just for a foot or so) will help noise from any pump immensely!

neoh
12-28-2013, 06:51 PM
speedwave's are really quiet - like, really.. really quiet. But make sure you have a backup, as mine (as well as a lot of others) die within 6 months.

The Tunze silence is what I replaced it with, and it's quiet - but not as quiet, as the speedwave. Out of all I've used, those two are the quietest.

Magickiwi
12-28-2013, 07:18 PM
I have a QuietOne 3000 and it runs perfectly silent unless it's touching a wall in my sump. The Eheim pumps I have definitely run a little more noisy but still close to silent.