PDA

View Full Version : dt's phyto

sumpfinfishe
09-12-2002, 12:24 AM
Does anyone use dt's phytoplankton. I have read in one article that it's the best phyto out there.
So if any of you do, I would love to know your take on the stuff? I use a small amount of Kent's marine phytoplex once a week, I was thinking of trying out a another flavor-dt's perhaps?

[ 11 September 2002, 20:26: Message edited by: sumpfinfishe ]

Canadian Man
09-12-2002, 12:35 AM
Well, Dt's is live and needs to be refrigirated.
I feed it along with ESV's every 2nd day.
I use it maily for my clams and I suppose my corals/other critters and such get food as well because of it.

Terrance Wong
09-12-2002, 01:48 AM
Hi Sumpfinfishe,

I've used it in the past but because it's so expensive, I switched to an algae concentrate that I got in the states. It was originally developed for the aquaculture industry, but take mix a product for the aquarium trade called "Tahiti" blend.

It's extremely concentrated, and because the phyto is dead, you must feed sparingly. I've used it for a year and half now and found a lot more sponge growth, rotifers, and mysis shrimps in my tank.

Here's the link if your interested

http://www.instant-algae.com/

Regards,

Terrance

Tau2301
09-12-2002, 11:45 PM
I also have switched from DTs to ESV.

The ESV also requires refrigeration

Delphinus
09-13-2002, 01:04 PM
Ounce for ounce the DT's is the best stuff due to the fact that it is live (thus not degraded) and "more concentrated" (as per claims).

But ... it really is too expensive for my liking. One day I hope to just say to heck with it and start culturing my own Nannochrolopsis spp.. Until then I guess I'll live with the DT's.

I dose both DT's and ESV's (DT's as a phytoplankton and ESV's as a zooplankton substitute) daily. The one thing I have noticed so far is that the tank is ripe with small infauna. At night the water can be white with bugs. That can be said about any reef tank. But this is reef tank #3 for me and the other two, although sustaining healthy 'pod populations ... never had it like this. So there is definitely some benefit to the feedings.

But the one thing that should be pointed about feeding phytoplankton is that MOST coral species do not feed directly on phyto ... they feed on zoo (with some exceptions ... some gorgonians, sea fans perhaps..). So say if you're looking for better health of SPS corals ... don't go looking for it by feeding phyto (DT's or other). "Indirectly" there may be a benefit because the live zooplankton populations may feed on it, and the corals in turn will feed on them ... but that's about it.

Clams, OTOH, DO feed on phytoplankton, so if you have any clams in your tank you SHOULD be dosing phyto IMHO (DT's or otherwise).

Just my $0.02...

[ 13 September 2002, 09:05: Message edited by: delphinus ]

sumpfinfishe
09-16-2002, 11:51 PM
Thanks for the info. all. I plan to pick up a bottle of DT'S until I can somehow get me some of that Tahiti Blend. Cheers, Rich :D :D :D

zulu_principle
09-17-2002, 12:36 AM
What is ESV's ?

Aquattro
09-17-2002, 02:28 AM
DT's was the best phyto tested by Rob Toonen as per an article I read recently. The Tahiti blend also rated very well. The ESV rated at or slightly below V8 juice. This is due to incorrect particle size. It is however a decent zooplankton substitute if I recall correctly. As Tony said, DT's does not feed the corals directly but feeds the microfauna population which in turn spawn creating coral food (in theory).

stephane
09-17-2002, 03:14 AM
you could orther thaitian blend here http://www.brineshrimpdirect.com/brineshrimpproduct4.htm#tahitian

I have used it in the past and found it very good
sheap and easy to use