PDA

View Full Version : Maxima Clam Care

ronau
12-26-2013, 03:06 AM
Hello,

I am very new to salt water tanks, actually just planning my first. I have a great connection for clams and would like to set up a tank mainly for them. The problem is, I don't know where to start. Anyone out there with success keeping them want to let me know what they think is essential in the set up?

I plan on going to Concept's sale tomorrow and seeking some advice but I doubt they'll have the time to help me design a system. I would love to save some money and take advantage of the sales but I don't want to buy a bunch of equipment I don't need or isn't sized properly.

Thanks,

Ron

ashr
12-26-2013, 03:27 AM
i wouldnt put any clams in a new tank to be honest. I wouldn't add any for about a 6 months to a year or so. They are more for advanced reefers if you want them to live and keep them healthy. Just my two cents

ronau
12-26-2013, 03:33 AM
i wouldnt put any clams in a new tank to be honest. I wouldn't had any for about a year or so. They are more for advanced reefers if you want them to live and keep them healthy.

I appreciate the concern but I am not planning to put them in as soon as it is set up. I would like to make sure the set up is what the clams needs so in the future, my set up isn't lacking.

Coral Hoarder
12-26-2013, 03:41 AM
what size are you looking for ? led or halide or t5 ? do you want fish or no fish other corals or just clams theres alot u gtoa decide on so posting some more info would help

ronau
12-26-2013, 03:47 AM
I am planning on 70 - 100 gallons. Not 100% decided on lighting as I have a T5HO fixture I could use but I am leaning towards buying a new LED fixture. If there are fish that are benificial or compatible...sure. Undecided on the corals but if there are some that are hardy, I would be open to any suggestions.

Coral Hoarder
12-26-2013, 04:30 AM
hmm k so id take advantage of boxin day buy a tank a stand and a sump a heater and a few power heads a bucket of salt prime all the basicks u can figure the rest out later

Taipan
12-26-2013, 04:44 AM
Maxima Clams in general require high intense lighting, high calcium for shell growth and a mature system. High lighting should suffice for its photosynthetic needs/nourishment; but a mature system's water will help with transport of food from the water column to supplement its diet. Clams are filter feeders.

As others have mentioned; if you want to build your display 'around' a Maxima clam(s); choosing reef safe tank mates is also a priority. Certain fish will be predators to the clam or at best an irritant.

Maxima clams also tend to like a fine substrate to sit in; while others tend to fair better on harder substrates.

This is just a beginner crash course. I hope this helps. Cheers.

reefwars
12-26-2013, 11:27 AM
Ron come see me today at concept and.we can go over it with you

Cheers

Denny

Concept aquariums

ronau
12-26-2013, 09:22 PM
I was wrong......Denny made the time to go over everything with me and put together a package that I don't feel overly guilty about. Thanks to Denny and Eli, I should have a system that will have my clams happy as .......well....... clams.

denny_C
12-26-2013, 09:25 PM
I was wrong......Denny made the time to go over everything with me and put together a package that I don't feel overly guilty about. Thanks again Denny!

my pleasure buddy and anytime you ever need advice or anything just give me a shout and i will be glad to help you out:)

WarDog
12-26-2013, 11:25 PM
my pleasure buddy and anytime you ever need advice or anything just give me a shout and i will be glad to help you out:)

THAT sounds like damn good customer service... you guys need a 2nd store in Vancouver! Lol.