PDA

View Full Version : Ich or velvet?!

mrhasan
12-24-2013, 05:24 PM
Well basically, till yesterday night, I have lost:

3 lined chormis
1 blue throat trigger
2 clowns (one false perce and another platinum)

The only fish that is doing alright (no sign of illness) is the red hawkfish.

What I thought to be ich seems like it might be something else. For example, my platinum was perfectly fine with no white spot and eating in the morning. When I got back home at night, it looked like it was dipped in flour. So densely packed with white spots, stopped eating and basically gone in the morning. I do notice "whitish particles" floating around in the water (not hydroids) and sticking on the glass, mostly at night. I am thinking it might be velvet. Or something else.

Any idea on what it might be? Water is in pristine condition and corals are doing well (knock on the wood).

AquaPin
12-24-2013, 05:29 PM
Sounds like Velvet to me. Did you add anything recently?

mrhasan
12-24-2013, 05:31 PM
Few frags and a clown....but I think it was hiding. Can velvet be there like ich and suddenly attack? Because I was seeing whitish spots (didn't look like ich at that time so thought it might be due to scratches with the rock) on the trigger and chromis before adding the clown.

Aquattro
12-24-2013, 05:48 PM
How long was the clown in QT?

mrhasan
12-24-2013, 05:50 PM
How long was the clown in QT?

Getting a QT is in my boxing day wish right now. I guess I needed a total whip out for three times to realize I need a QT.

SeaHorse_Fanatic
12-24-2013, 10:54 PM
Sounds very much like Marine Velvet. Sucks man.

mrhasan
12-24-2013, 10:57 PM
Sounds very much like Marine Velvet. Sucks man.

Yah :(

How long should the tank be fallow? Should I leave the hawk if its well or take it out after setting up the QT?

Aquattro
12-24-2013, 11:04 PM
Yah :(

How long should the tank be fallow? Should I leave the hawk if its well or take it out after setting up the QT?

I'd leave it 3 months after all the fish are out. Anything left alive can be a carrier. So you need to move it to QT and treat it. Then QT any new fish. Every new fish. Every time.

mrhasan
12-24-2013, 11:08 PM
I'd leave it 3 months after all the fish are out. Anything left alive can be a carrier. So you need to move it to QT and treat it. Then QT any new fish. Every new fish. Every time.

3 months :cry:

But yah, from now on, every fish get through QT first.

But I can add corals right (although there's a possibility of the plugs carrying the critters)? And without any bioload, how can I keep up with the corals? Add amino acids and stuffs? I hate coral foods, they make my skimmer go crazy.

Aquattro
12-24-2013, 11:52 PM
I left my tank about 2.5 months, and just threw some pellets in once a week.

mrhasan
12-24-2013, 11:56 PM
I left my tank about 2.5 months, and just threw some pellets in once a week.

Aha. Thanks Brad. Will be getting the supplies on boxing day, set up a 30 gallon tank and will try to catch the crafty hawkfish. It used to come to my hand while feeding but now, after seeing how I caught some fishes with net, hides whenever I move my hand over the tank. Will be a challenge!