PDA

View Full Version : Sump Leaking Help!!!

Steve...
12-24-2013, 03:05 PM
Hi Guys,

So I came home last night a mess! My sump has separated by the hinge and water was all over the floor. I either need to get a new sump or reseal the unit. I was looking at getting a better one but the problem is access below the tank is restricted because the tank and canopy is pushed right up to the wall with my 220. Only access is trough the front door which gives my about 15 " to play with. Can anyone advise what I could do? Draining the tank and moving it away from the wall would be my last option. Right now , I have two power heads running and a heater going. How long do I have until things go bad without a skimmer and reactors offline? This is probably the worst time to have a leak in my sump, what a bad way to start Christmas . Please let me know if anyone can offer me a hand of advise.

Merry Christmas

Steve

Delphinus
12-24-2013, 03:26 PM
In a pinch, run a temporary sump using a rubbermaid next to the tank or something like that, tie yourself over to when the stores are open again after Christmas (although let's face it, they'll be open Boxing Day anyhow).

Without really knowing too much of your setup, here are a few options I'd be looking at if it were me:

- Drain it, clean it, reseal it in place. Get some Construction 1200 silicone for the job. If Concept can't sell you any for some reason (and honestly I'm sure they'll have some onhand, in the off chance they don't, try Bow Valley aquariums assuming they are still around these days - I have no idea it's been a while since I visited them last.)

- In the same vein as #1 .. just take it out and build a new one in its place. I would consider new glass if somehow the old wasn't going to be repairable easily.

- I once had the same problem. In my case I looked at what I could get into the sump without draining the tank and I said .. you know what, it's my house, and the only thing in behind there is a workshop .. so I punched some holes in the drywall, ran some pipes through there and had my sump in the room in behind. I patched up and painted over the holes when I moved out. A bit drastic.

- If seriously, if nothing else, go get a rubbermaid or other kind of tank, some vinyl pipe from Home Depot or Industrial Paints and Plastics or where-ever .. and get the heater, skimmer, reactors, etc. running off there until you can get a more permanent solution in place.

This hobby will throw curve balls at you for sure! Keeps you on your toes and all that. Good luck! You'll get through this, no worries. And Merry Christmas. :-)

Steve...
12-24-2013, 03:31 PM
In a pinch, run a temporary sump using a rubbermaid next to the tank or something like that, tie yourself over to when the stores are open again after Christmas (although let's face it, they'll be open Boxing Day anyhow).

Without really knowing too much of your setup, here are a few options I'd be looking at if it were me:

- Drain it, clean it, reseal it in place. Get some Construction 1200 silicone for the job. If Concept can't sell you any for some reason (and honestly I'm sure they'll have some onhand, in the off chance they don't, try Bow Valley aquariums assuming they are still around these days - I have no idea it's been a while since I visited them last.)

- In the same vein as #1 .. just take it out and build a new one in its place. I would consider new glass if somehow the old wasn't going to be repairable easily.

- I once had the same problem. In my case I looked at what I could get into the sump without draining the tank and I said .. you know what, it's my house, and the only thing in behind there is a workshop .. so I punched some holes in the drywall, ran some pipes through there and had my sump in the room in behind. I patched up and painted over the holes when I moved out. A bit drastic.

- If seriously, if nothing else, go get a rubbermaid or other kind of tank, some vinyl pipe from Home Depot or Industrial Paints and Plastics or where-ever .. and get the heater, skimmer, reactors, etc. running off there until you can get a more permanent solution in place.

This hobby will throw curve balls at you for sure! Keeps you on your toes and all that. Good luck! You'll get through this, no worries. And Merry Christmas. :-)

Thanks Tony!

darkreef
12-24-2013, 03:35 PM
Silcon 1 at home depo . Its $5 make sure its the basic 1. should have no mold mildew killer in it . . make sure you scrap any silcon or silcon resin off the glass because it won't sick to its self.

And like the other guy said a container will work for a temp sump

Coralgurl
12-24-2013, 03:38 PM
You'll be fine without a skimmer for a few days if needed. I've had mine off for over a month, not the end of the world.

My sump cracked a few months ago, but not leaking. I was facing the same dilemma as you, fix or replace. I was able to fix mine, but if I had to replace, I would have had to break mine apart to get it out of the stand. New sump would have gone in the basement...

Sorry yours broke on you, hopefully the damage is minimal!

Steve...
12-24-2013, 04:05 PM
Silcon 1 at home depo . Its $5 make sure its the basic 1. should have no mold mildew killer in it . . make sure you scrap any silcon or silcon resin off the glass because it won't sick to its self.

And like the other guy said a container will work for a temp sump

The Silicon will also work on plastic ? I started to clean mine up this morning and drying if off. Ill head out soon to get the silicon... How long should I wait before trying to fill the sump up after I seal it?

tang daddy
12-24-2013, 04:23 PM
Regardless of what people say about silicone, I would only use aquarium safe silicone, $20 a bottle is a lot safer than losing all your coral, there was an incident on Canreef about 1 year ago where my good friend lost almost all his coral to silicone from the hardware store...

Aquarium safe only man, not worth the risk. I would seal the tank in a well vented area and let it cure for atleast 3 days, do a test full drain fill drain and repeat process 3x just incase there's some leaching. Leave water for 1 day then drain and fill with saltwater.

Good luck bro....

You never mentioned what size sump you're running now?
15" wide there are lots of tanks that meet that criteria how about length and height. For a 220 I would go no smaller than a 55g although that tank is 18" tall which could be too tall for you....

Skimmer Juice
12-24-2013, 05:01 PM
you can also get the ge silicone from golds they only had clear last time I was there. This just happened to me a couple months ago, Im still using the tuper ware bin I set up:sad: , just going to build a whole new set-up tank and sump . So I guess some good came out of it :twised:.. Good luck with everything sucks it happened at this time of year . Also dont forget concepts is having boxing day sale so you could save some cash on a new sump.

Steve...
12-24-2013, 08:42 PM
Thanks for everyones help! I just resealed the unit and will wait 24 hrs before doing a leak test.

gregzz4
12-24-2013, 09:12 PM
I just resealed the unit and will wait 24 hrs before doing a leak test.
If you want to test it that soon after sealing, it wouldn't be a bad idea to leave it open to air outside the stand and run a fan
You need to let the off-gassing stuff out or it won't cure that fast and you'll turn it milky with water, possibly causing it to come apart

Best to wait a few days as Chris suggested, just to be on the safe side

Steve...
12-24-2013, 09:40 PM
If you want to test it that soon after sealing, it wouldn't be a bad idea to leave it open to air outside the stand and run a fan
You need to let the off-gassing stuff out or it won't cure that fast and you'll turn it milky with water, possibly causing it to come apart

Best to wait a few days as Chris suggested, just to be on the safe side

Sounds good!