PDA

View Full Version : ecotech vortech pumps

Edmonton Eskimo
12-23-2013, 12:57 AM
So am I missing something as to why these are so popular? First off I have really only seen them in action at my lfs but I always notice the whirring sound and in my living room that would drive me nuts. Also I always see threads about people needing to replace wet side or dry side at 100 plus dollars. At the price these things go for that would infuriate me. I have cheap koralias that have lasted for years. Lastly they are only mountable one directionally and that would bother me as well. In a nutshell I think y'all is crazy, lol

Aquattro
12-23-2013, 01:05 AM
I have cheap koralias that have lasted for years.

Translation: I have butt ugly pumps that don't move any water. :razz:

I think you and all the vortech owners need to buy Tunzes :)

Dyspnea
12-23-2013, 01:14 AM
They aren't simply just a basic power head, while the direction is fixed they are numerous other features.

Adjustable speeds from ultra low to high flow rates, numerous program functions, reef, reef crest, waves! (Actually waves) and other programs, plus a feeding mode.

The downside they can be a little loud. But you can change that as you need. They are pricey, but they are so much more than basic power head and much more powerful. They also consume much less space inside your aquarium.

I've had mine (two mp40) for at least 3 years (maybe 4). All I've had too do is basic cleaning maintenance. I haven't had too change a part! The biggest piece of advise to prevent wet side damage is sure sure they are on center with the dry side and not vibrating, also make sure they are adjusted too the proper glass thickness.

I'm personally considering two more for my setup!

The Codfather
12-23-2013, 01:14 AM
Translation: I have butt ugly pumps that don't move any water. :razz:

I think you and all the vortech owners need to buy Jeboa. :)

There, I fixed that for you Brad, I'm sure that's what you meant....

Aquattro
12-23-2013, 01:17 AM
There, I fixed that for you Brad, I'm sure that's what you meant....

No, I've got one, some of the settings make them as loud as a vortech. But as a budget alternative, absolutely go with these over a korallia.

Edmonton Eskimo
12-23-2013, 01:29 AM
I've had no issues with my as you say butt ugly koralias, lol. I have 2 3s in my 60 cube and I like the flow they give. Dont get me wrong I want tunzes but damn they expensive. I would 100 percent buy tunze over the vortechs. Same features and more compared to the vortechs.

Craigdillman
12-23-2013, 01:52 AM
This needs a poll

mrhasan
12-23-2013, 01:52 AM
You get what you pay for :)

Ops...um a noob and I write too much (with no experience) so I will just move along :redface:

BlueTang<3
12-23-2013, 01:54 AM
I differ from that have 4 mp 40s been running for years never really notice the hum, added 2 tunze wave boxes to the tank and wow have they been unreliable, already had to change 2 pumps in under a year. I think they are just as loud when they ramp up as a vortech. Plus who wants cords in the display tank.

I have personally be given a good shock a. Few times from a korallia, tanks are on gfi but the laundry room plug wasn't and was qt some corals and zap.

Aquattro
12-23-2013, 01:56 AM
I write too much (with no experience) so I will just move along :redface:

Thank you. :)

Edmonton Eskimo
12-23-2013, 03:05 AM
Haha move along then, lol. I guess there are bad experiences with all products. I just see very few about the tunze products.

gqlmao
12-23-2013, 03:47 AM
I have 3 mp10s, I have replaced the wet side 3 times, dry side once and I have hums in the motors on all three. Some are louder than others. They are expensive pieces to replace, but to me they are worth my money. They create such gentle flow yet large amounts of conical flow. I like how there isn't any wires in the tank, with my tank I can hide the dry sides in the back chamber, I still think the dry sides are plain ugly. Tunzes are nice too, but I only had experience with the 6015 series, I don't like the bulkiness and never ran them for long before I took them out of the tank.

Kmarrs
12-23-2013, 04:07 AM
I have owned Koralia's and now own an ecotech. The Ecotech's are well worth the money and the hum is no worse if not less than my previous koralia's.

Slyguy00
12-23-2013, 04:17 AM
+1 for ecotech. I love my mp10s and wouldnt go any other route.

Scythanith
12-23-2013, 05:03 AM
There is no doubt they hum, noticeably when running at 50% or higher. But I agree with the statements about positive flow pattern. I like the variety of modes and the fact that my profilux can control them. Also, I have never replaced a wet or dry side on any of mine due to damage or wear.

Madreefer
12-23-2013, 05:29 AM
I love and hate the Vortechs. They are awesome with the controlability you have with them when you are using more than one. They're sleek looking and quite small. But i've had issues with a few of them and had to have them replaced on warrranty and yes they are loud. If I could use them in my new setup I would. I had to trade all 4 of them them for Tunzes. I was running 2 MP40s and a MP10 in my display. They've been replaced with 2 6105's. I have'nt played with the control option yet but it looks like just those 2 were pushing alot more water than the Vortechs did. There is also a sound coming from the motor in one of them when it ramps down. Is this normal?

Ryanerickson
12-23-2013, 05:51 AM
Love my mp10s all my tunze pumps break after short lives

reefwars
12-23-2013, 12:56 PM
Running mp40 and love it , have never had to replace the wet side and at 50-70% I can't hear it:)

Have the wps at work and while they are a great price and move water they ain't no vortech lol hell trying to sync 2 together is impossible especislly on wave they fight each other would be nice if they were wireless and worked in sync.

Tunzes are great just wish they were smaller footprint

At the end of the day if pushing water is all you require there's alot more options then just these brands :)

NickC
12-23-2013, 03:27 PM
You get what you pay for
My vortechs with their battery backup have saved my tank during this awful power outrage. 72 hours of back up flow. Since you say vortech is over priced can you show me the battery backups tunze, korallia, or jebao use to make your smart pumps switch to 50% power and give you 3 days of use?
I guess there's a bonus paying for ecotechs R&D.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Slyguy00
12-23-2013, 04:13 PM
My vortechs with their battery backup have saved my tank during this awful power outrage. 72 hours of back up flow. Since you say vortech is over priced can you show me the battery backups tunze, korallia, or jebao use to make your smart pumps switch to 50% power and give you 3 days of use?
I guess there's a bonus paying for ecotechs R&D.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Hard to argue with that

tim the toolman
12-23-2013, 05:02 PM
I think what it boils down to is can you afford it lol. I think most people would go as high end as possible if the money was unlimited. Give me a free pick of koralia, vortechs or jebaos and I'm taking the vortech for sure. But for a quarter of the price I had to go wp40. And as far as battery backup is concerned it may not switch over automatically, but I bought a generator for less than the cost of the vortech backup system and I can run my whole system (basically) and a few household components off of it.

Aquattro
12-23-2013, 05:06 PM
Give me a free pick of koralia, vortechs or jebaos and I'm taking the vortech for sure.

No, I disagree. I'd go with the WP series, more water movement, less noise and directional. I'm one of those that doesn't see the benefits of vortechs. Given free access to either jebao or Tunze, I'd go Tunze, just because my experience has been great with them. although, sounds like recent quality might not be what it once was.

tim the toolman
12-23-2013, 05:23 PM
That actually good to hear then. Notice I did not mention the tunze in my list of freebies. That's because I have no experience with them at all and would be lying to say I can rank them anywhere in my list. The WP to me is a great pump as well, been running it for about 6+ months and nothing but good things to report. I could afford the mp40 just won't justify the expense as I would need a couple and would rather spend that money on a trip to see the real ocean lol.

Aquattro
12-23-2013, 05:30 PM
And that's just it. I can well afford to stock the entire tank with Tunze, but with the money I save going cheaper, I get most of a week in Mexico paid. So far the WP60 is doing great.

tim the toolman
12-23-2013, 05:35 PM
And that just makes cents!

Sorry for the terrible pun