PDA

View Full Version : Sand or bare, {corals}

Doug
12-22-2013, 02:13 AM
I was going to add a shallow sand bed this time and already have a coris wrasse.

Lately with my growing clam collection and some nice pieces of chalice, I have been thinking of going bare instead, so I can display my clams on the bottom and my chalice also, which can spread out on the bare glass.

Of course I will have to forgo on the leopards and maybe sell the yellow or put a dish of sand in the back for him.

The other option is using some shelf rock I have from Eli, just raised of the sand and display the above mentioned on there.

All comments welcome please.

Thanks

IanWR
12-22-2013, 02:39 AM
As with all aesthetic choices there is not a "right" answer, but you did ask for opinions, so...

I would go with sand, and display your goodies on the rock and/or sand. I have seen some beautiful bare bottom tanks but they always have an "arty" feel, more like sculpture than a natural look. I prefer the softer look of sand to the stark look of glass. Just my 2 cents.

- Ian

Dearth
12-22-2013, 03:01 AM
While there are some awesome BB tanks out there I much rather see tanks with crushed coral or sand

I personally went half of my tank with crushed coral and half course sand gave my fish a choice of where to play and sleep

Doug
12-22-2013, 03:24 AM
Thanks for the replies guys. Then my clams would have to go to the rock. I have seen chalice growing on sand but would think it would like bare glass better or flat rock?

BackPackHunter
12-22-2013, 03:44 AM
i perfure sand or Crush coral look over bare, but its your tank

Doug
12-22-2013, 03:52 AM
I understand that but Im not so much discussing bare versus sand, as the placement of clams and chalice. I have a ton of sps to go on the rockwork.

Thanks

Dyspnea
12-22-2013, 05:09 AM
I've had bare bottom, sand 3-4 inches and some .5-1 inch sand bed and even crushed coral.

Bare bottom was nice for keeping debris build up low, but I have always enjoyed having a bit of sand.

I never believed or bought into the hype of dsb's, but 1-2 inches of sand is a sweet spot, and it's easy enough too suction clean.

Aquattro
12-22-2013, 05:21 AM
Why can't the clams go on the sand? Mine's been on the sand for 4 years and is happy as a, well, you know..

MitchM
12-22-2013, 11:03 AM
I've started out bare, but I have a favia that is now starting to grow onto the acrylic bottom, which I do not want. It will make it very difficult to move if I let it continue.
I'm probably going to start adding a few cups of well rinsed sand every now and then to give me maybe a 1/2" overall depth.

I liked the bare look better than I thought I would. Very easy to keep clean.

Reef Pilot
12-22-2013, 01:34 PM
I have a very thin sand layer now in my upstairs tank, as I moved much of it to my downstairs tank that I set up later. And with the water flow, it tends to keep the bottom bare in the front center. And my goby keeps moving it around. It is nice and clean, though.

Dearth
12-22-2013, 03:14 PM
I personally would have an inch or so of covering on your bottom for a couple of reasons. To protect the bottom from accidental drops of rocks or other heavy objects, give your inverts and bottom dwellers something to rest or play in/on, easier removal or moving of encrusting coral and lastly if not least pure aesthetics.

More than likely you will have bare spots anyway but IMO you would still have the "natural" look

Doug
12-22-2013, 04:57 PM
Why can't the clams go on the sand? Mine's been on the sand for 4 years and is happy as a, well, you know..

Does it just sit in the sand Brad or on a rock in the sand? If so how does it attach then?

I've started out bare, but I have a favia that is now starting to grow onto the acrylic bottom, which I do not want. It will make it very difficult to move if I let it continue.
I'm probably going to start adding a few cups of well rinsed sand every now and then to give me maybe a 1/2" overall depth.

I liked the bare look better than I thought I would. Very easy to keep clean.

Yes, I like the ease of cleaning when bare. Usually detritus collects in one place.

I personally would have an inch or so of covering on your bottom for a couple of reasons. To protect the bottom from accidental drops of rocks or other heavy objects, give your inverts and bottom dwellers something to rest or play in/on, easier removal or moving of encrusting coral and lastly if not least pure aesthetics.

More than likely you will have bare spots anyway but IMO you would still have the "natural" look

That was my original plan this time. I was going eggcrate, place the rock, then cut the 'crate thats left sticking out, then sand.

Aquattro
12-22-2013, 05:01 PM
Does it just sit in the sand Brad or on a rock in the sand? If so how does it attach then?

It digs it's foot into the sand and attaches to the bottom.

Aquattro
12-22-2013, 05:02 PM
Oh, and I'd really skip the eggcrate. I didn't, and I regret it. Some areas, due to flow, are always exposed. And really no reason for it at all. Not sure what I was thinking when I added it.

Doug
12-22-2013, 05:51 PM
Oh, and I'd really skip the eggcrate. I didn't, and I regret it. Some areas, due to flow, are always exposed. And really no reason for it at all. Not sure what I was thinking when I added it.

Ya I remember that. Guess it depends on how many open areas I have like you