PDA

View Full Version : Clams vs. coral

asylumdown
12-20-2013, 04:42 PM
Is there any harm to allowing a coral to grow right up/on to the shell of a clam? How do clams deal with fast growing corals in the wild? I have a maxima that fell in to an awkward spot about a year ago and I never moved it, but now there's a Montipora spongodes colony that's basically pressing right up against it's shell, it might even have plated the clam in to place a bit. Wondering if I should move the clam?

dudley moray
12-20-2013, 05:41 PM
might even have plated the clam in to place a bit. Wondering if I should move the clam?

I would love to see pics of that !

asylumdown
12-20-2013, 05:44 PM
scratch that, it's definitely plated on to the shell of the clam. However, it's in the world's most awkward location. I'll need to wait until my roommate gets back from Hawaii with the underwater camera to get a good picture of it.

Delphinus
12-20-2013, 05:49 PM
If it starts to hinder the shell movement, it might be a problem. Otherwise though it really is kind of something that happens. If you see these clams in the wild, usually all you see is the mantle coming out of a hole in a rock and they almost look like seaslugs or nudibranchs. They are accustomed to stuff growing around them.