PDA

View Full Version : Memo to self: don't buy newly landed fish

craigwmiller
12-20-2013, 06:18 AM
I wanted a fish today, and there were 3 of them at the place I went to. I took one of the two that landed today instead of the one that had been in a tank for a long time. I thought about it back and forth, and ultimately I didn't ask/insist for the one which had been there a while. I wasn't really in a rush, but I guess convenience got the better of me instead of asking to stir up a tank with a bunch of coral colonies to get the fish I had actually seen and wanted.

Well, he didn't make it. Lesson learned I guess.

asylumdown
12-20-2013, 04:28 PM
Hopefully he went in to a QT tank and didn't bring anything nasty with him to the rest of your fish.

But that sucks man. What kind of a fish was it?

craigwmiller
12-20-2013, 04:30 PM
Sixline wrasse

And no, he indeed did not go into the display tank :D

mark
12-20-2013, 04:30 PM
lots of stress being in a little plastic bag for a couple of days

asylumdown
12-20-2013, 04:34 PM
Well if there's any silver lining it's that your losses are contained at least. But that sucks. I always feel awful when a fish dies on me. I'm surprised the store sold him to you right away, you'd think they'd have wanted to give everyone at least a couple of days to recuperate?

Proteus
12-20-2013, 06:25 PM
I was there when you bought it. It was hectic.
I myself have bought on fish day but either I buy in the bag fish so they don't go from tank to tank. Or buy from displays

paddyob
12-20-2013, 07:00 PM
I was there when you bought it. It was hectic.
I myself have bought on fish day but either I buy in the bag fish so they don't go from tank to tank. Or buy from displays

+1. Newly landed, in bag, is the only way some guys buy them. Eliminates store handling and tanks.

I only buy fish after they have been in the store at least 24hrs.

Proteus
12-20-2013, 07:13 PM
+1. Newly landed, in bag, is the only way some guys buy them. Eliminates store handling and tanks.

I only buy fish after they have been in the store at least 24hrs.

Not to hijack

But how's the tank. Get the Dino's dealt with

BlueTang<3
12-21-2013, 12:12 PM
Yeah I usually try to make sure this fish comes home right from the bag, or it has been in the store for ages.

MitchM
12-21-2013, 12:39 PM
I only buy fish that have been at the LFS for 2 weeks or longer.
Ask the LFS if they will hold it for you. Put a deposit down or pay in advance.
You never know how much trauma the fish has been through to get to where it is.

kien
12-21-2013, 04:09 PM
+1 for fresh off the boat! (bag to home). I snagged 4 bartletts that had just landed at my LFS and had just started temperature acclimation in their bags when I snatched them up. It's actually quite uncommon to be able to do this and there are a whole host of reason why you wouldn't want to do this but there are also benefits. The hobbyist has to weigh the pros vs cons of such an approach.