PDA

View Full Version : Anenomes :)

cag
07-16-2004, 04:42 PM
Well, I have begun to hear and read things from various sources that would present me with a dilemma. When I started up my tank a little while back, I was rather focused on trying to save a weak clownfish by finding him something to bond with. Thus four anenomes came home. :eek:
I have not had any serious problems as yet, the small sebae stays put, the small long tentacle roams a bit in a smaller area, the rose bubble tip has moved into a space on the back of my live rock, and the gigantic bubble tip is stretched out all across the back of my tank behind the live rock. The clownfish is now acting like he is going to bond with the protien skimmer :question: and I have read info that implys I am a catastrophe waiting to happen. Is anyone interested in a huge beautiful bubble tip? He has very yellow tentacles and a marvelous pink foot. If I can find him a home I think the other three are small enough they will have room to have their own areas of the tank. :confused:

I know there will be venting about my situation. I did ask questions about putting them in together, but apparently of the wrong people. If anyone knows of someone who might be interested in the large bubble tip, please let me know. So far no big problems, but I hear they are most likely coming :rolleyes: Thanks for your help. :redface:

muck
07-16-2004, 04:51 PM
What size is your tank?

AJ_77
07-16-2004, 04:54 PM
Rather than vent on you, I commend you for looking for help finding a solution to your problem. I hope that you will find a good home for your yellow(?) huge BTA... would sure like to see a picture of that one. Sounds like a beauty from your description, almost like a different species maybe.

I would like to help you out, but I already have one large anemone, and that is enough. :biggrin:

Fish
07-19-2004, 08:24 PM
I second Alan's comment. Just how big is this anemone? I have a 20H and am a little worried about warfare amongst the anemone and corals.
Thanks a bunch.

- Chad

BMW Rider
07-20-2004, 12:00 AM
I may be able to give that fella a home, but I'm not certain at this time. I am hoping to add a large bubble tip anemone to my tank for my very mature tomato clown to host in. I'm just not sure though that I should be doing so yet since the tank is not really fully established. From the info that I have read, it is best to wait for at least a year for the tank to settle into stability, and I have only had mine going for 3 months now. It does seem to be doing well, but I'd hate to condem a nice anemone because of my impatience. I would like to be able to make this situation work out if no one else can take it, if there is another interested party who is in a better position to house it, then I would gladly let them.

Anyone have anything reccomendations here? Do you think my tank would be ready yet, or should I just be good and wait? The tank should be large enough at 130 gallons in the display tank, 155 gallons total.

I anxiously await the wisdom of the masses.

AJ_77
07-20-2004, 01:15 AM
From the info that I have read, it is best to wait for at least a year for the tank to settle into stability, and I have only had mine going for 3 months now. ...Do you think my tank would be ready yet, or should I just be good and wait?
I would wait a year, but that's me. 3 months is just getting started, your tank will need much more time to find out what it wants to be. :mrgreen: (This doesn't sound like your garden-variety BTA, either.)

If after 6-8 months your tank is doing great, is a suitable environment, and you want to try your husbandry skills at a new challenge, then start planning for one at that time. There seems to be no shortage of clones popping up on the market.

JMHO. :biggrin:

BMW Rider
07-20-2004, 02:23 AM
Thanks, that confirms my gut feeling on this. I really really really want an anemone, but I don't want to get one and have it die either. I'd better pass on this one.

kuatto
07-20-2004, 03:13 AM
I'd take it if I could get to Calgary.

EmilyB
07-20-2004, 03:20 AM
I'd take it if I could get to Calgary.

You don't want an EXTREMELY large sebae, do you? :wink:

kuatto
07-20-2004, 04:51 AM
EmilyB
Sounds like it might be too big for my 54 :biggrin:how big?My 2 new clowns are trying to host in my zenia.The 115 isn't set up yet.

EmilyB
07-20-2004, 05:04 AM
EmilyB
Sounds like it might be too big for my 54 :biggrin:how big?My 2 new clowns are trying to host in my zenia.The 115 isn't set up yet.

It's 18" across on a feeding day........... :eek: I'm still waiting for the BIG TANK person in Calgary..... :lol:

AJ_77
07-20-2004, 05:17 AM
I'm still waiting for the BIG TANK person in Calgary....
ummm, that's you. :lol:

cag
07-20-2004, 06:42 AM
Well thanks for all the interest, I lost the big bubble tip last night. He was only in there just over a week, he hid behind the rocks most of the time, and then just shrivelled. The other anenomies look fine, and are taking food well. I had the water tested 3 times this week, and had no problems found. I don't know if he was very recently wild caught or had some reaction to something in the tank. There are a few corals, and fish, but nothing out of the ordinary. The anenomie crabs I got for him stayed with him till the end, and did all they could to cheer him up. He seemed fine until the late on Saturday night, then just crashed. Maybe he was not a bubble tip. He was shipped as one, but several have wondered if he was, and I could not find pictures of anything that looked like him. I don't know if he was perhaps something particularly fussy. My rose bubble tip has had 2 major run ins with power heads (which are now covered with big sponges) and is recovering very well from what seemed like life threatening injuries, so the conditions in the tank can't be that bad. I am not sure what was wrong for the big guy. I feel really bad, he was beautiful, and someone with more expeireince could maybe have figured out whatever the problem was in time to save him.

I tried to draw him out of the rocks with mini power compact lights, but he would only come out toward them for a short time, and then retreat within a few minutes. In the end after several days of fussing, he was just gone. I got some pics of him the first few days he was here, but I haven't figured out how to post them yet. Sorry, this whole bb on the internet thing is completely new to me. In the meantime, are there any other suggestions, (aside from the now odvious don't mix several anenomies) to be sure the others continue to do well. The really hot days may have been part of the problem, I don't yet have a chiller, and the tank came up just over 80 on the hottest days this last week. Does anyone have a chiller available that they have outgrown, that would work for a 60-100 gallon system. Let me know if there is anything out there, or if you have other suggestions. I really want the animals to thrive in there, and would love to know exactly what you guys feed, and how often etc. Mine are taking a mix of mysis shrimp and Marine Cusine chopped up and blown into them with a turkey baster. What regiments do you guys follow for your anenomies? :question: :redface:

Delphinus
07-20-2004, 04:58 PM
Anemone husbandry involves understanding what part of the reef the anemone typically inhabits, then trying to replicate that part as best you can in your tank.

Substrate selection is highly dependent on the species. Some prefer hard smooth substrate to attach to, some prefer in the sand. BTA's prefer a hard smooth surface, but need to attach to either a crevasse, overhang or a cave, because BTA's like to hide their pedal disk -- i.e., sheltered from light and current. But note - not the oral disk and tentacles. These need to be IN the light and IN the current. BTA's like it both ways.

Lighting is important for the long-term health of the anemones. Things to look at include intensity and spectrum. I'd venture that spectrum is likely more important than intensity, but only slightly so. You can get by with low intensity so long as there is appropriate spectrum, but there's no question that they do better with more lighting.

Feeding is also important. There has been some debate over this topic over the years, but this is the way I look at it. If an animal has a mouth, odds are it needs to eat. Anemones with symbiotic zooxanthellae, obviously derive some of their energy requirements from light, and this is the point that's debated: whether they can meet all of their requirements or just some. Personally, I lean to the side of the argument that says it is "some, but not all." As I understand it, the metabolic energy units derived from light tends to be more along the lines of complex sugars, i.e., high-energy, quick-release. So basically it's like eating candy bars or those energy bars that athletes use. But can you sustain yourself indefinitely on a diet like that? Probably not, at some point you need proteins for growth of tissue and so on. So feeding is, IMO, impossible to get away from.

Some people suggest that all the metabolic requirements could be met entirely by feeding, and thus they suggest a lesser importance on lighting. Personally I think this is too far in the other direction. It may be theoretically possible, but for our purposes, we shouldn't try to attempt this. Our best odds of success involve working in the space created by the span of both lighting AND feeding.

Choice of food, like choice of substrate, is also dependent on species. Some prefer shrimpy/crustacean type meat, others fish flesh, and the aggressiveness of the feeding response varies greatly from species to species. For example, carpets can be aggressive fish eaters (generally speaking the fish still has to blunder into the anemone, but once it has done so, there's no escape), but BTA's tend to be content with opportunistic scavenging (i.e., if a piece of dead shrimp happens to fall on it, it will eat it, but it won't really try to catch live shrimp that venture too close).

That said, one food that seems to be universally accepted among the different species, in my experience, is mysis shrimp. The FW mysis you can get has the highest protein content out of any food available, bar none. I've seen some amazing turnarounds that I attribute to that. SW mysis looks similar, but has nowhere near comparable levels of protein.

Current is also important. The dynamics of current can be a very challenging aspect of the hobby to work with. Generally speaking, the more indirect current you can produce, the better. Also alternating currents are "better" than steady-state/laminar flows. Never use direct stream-type current such as the output of a powerhead. However, two powerheads pointing at each other will create an awesome form of randomized indirect current at the points where the streams meet.

Generally speaking, I feel it is a bad idea to overload a system with anemones, because they can interact with each other. Either by direct touch, or even by more diffuse means (i.e., they might never touch one another, but they may be chemically interacting through a process called "allelopathic inhibition"). Allelopathy is when one species inhibits the metabolism of another that it may be competing with for resources. Whether this happens in anemones may be subject to some debate, but personally I feel it does happen.

It is possible to get away with it for short periods of time, however, I feel it is best to not plan for multiple individuals (unless they are clonal siblings) in the same tank, indefinitely.

The period of time following collection/distribution and retail is very stressful period of time for an anemone. The sad reality is that a lot don't make it. It is probably best to limit "saving" anemones to one at a time. If you can nurse it along to the point where it has adapted to life in captivity, and can provide for its needs appropriate, it can be hardy individual that seems "easy" to care for. But if its needs aren't being met and it's stressed, it will likely eventually perish, and for reasons that may seem not-very-obvious. That's why I suggest that if you're new to anemones, it's better to limit yourself to one individual, and even better to try to find a captive cloned specimen from someone because 1) not only has it proved to be a survivor, 2) you can learn from the setup where it came from.

Has any of this answered your questions yet? :lol:

For my BTA's, I try to keep them in a spot where they can hide their pedal foot (their "foot") somewhere out of sight, but they are able to get their tentacles out into the current and light. I also have metal halides over my tanks. I feed mysis every day, and I try to ensure that each individual gets several pieces per day.

You don't generally need to feed daily, however. A small piece of shrimp from the grocery store, once or twice per week, is more than adequate.

AJ_77
07-20-2004, 05:39 PM
Nice, Tony! :biggrin: Can we archive this thread now?

I will add my 2 cents:
My large-ish LTA gets a chunk of mysis (1cm x 1cm) once a week or so. It can now extend itself to about 16" across, so I don't feed much more than that. It collects the odd piece from fish feedings as well, but those are very small.

I try to balance lighting and feeding as mentioned above.

BMW Rider
07-20-2004, 09:41 PM
Great info, i'll add it to the growing file I have allready saved on anemones.

A couple of quick question, how smooth of a surface do you need for the BTA to attach? Is a not too lumpy piece of live rock ok, or something more like the tank glass? If the latter, how can one provide a surface for it to attach to LR?

cag
07-20-2004, 10:35 PM
Thank you for your time, this information is very helpful to me. I appreciate your willingness to offer your experience and advice.[/img]

monza
07-21-2004, 03:19 AM
So AJ_77 do you feed the mysis still frozen?

Dave

AJ_77
07-21-2004, 03:56 AM
So AJ_77 do you feed the mysis still frozen?

about half-thawed, usually - or it's tough to get it down there with the tongs...

Delphinus
07-21-2004, 05:49 AM
A couple of quick question, how smooth of a surface do you need for the BTA to attach? Is a not too lumpy piece of live rock ok, or something more like the tank glass? If the latter, how can one provide a surface for it to attach to LR?

I think lumpy is OK, but maybe not something that's too jagged. For example, a piece of dead acropora with all those pointy edges might be too ragged and the anemone may wander away looking for something a little more comfortable. I would think that most pieces of rock will be fine. The anemone will tell you by wandering if it's not right.. :lol:

danny zubot
07-21-2004, 04:54 PM
I have experienced great pain trying to feed the anemone I got from you Alan. My tank is very deep and I have to put my arm in to reach the anemones, even with a turkey baster. The female ocelaris always nips at that piece of skin between your thumb and your pointer finger, she draws blood on occasion.

Good times, Good times!

AJ_77
07-21-2004, 07:06 PM
Danny - as I first recommended, you should have that BTA near the surface. I'm concerned that with your lghting and tank depth the penetration will be lacking. Is there a good spot closer to the top of the tank? If not, I strongly suggest arranging your rockwork to accomodate the BTA.

Then, feeding will be a breeze. :biggrin: It took small pieces of mysis quite easily... A pair of aqua-tongs is quite useful as well.

As for the female clown, she needs a bit of a spanking now and again... show her who's boss. :lol: