PDA

View Full Version : Stand paint

spit.fire
12-19-2013, 08:21 PM
So I started building my stand (solid wood) and I want to paint it a high gloss white with minimal grain showing through

Any suggestions for primer and top coats?

Here's the start of it

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/12/20/tymu7eqy.jpg

Craigdillman
12-19-2013, 08:34 PM
Looking good, I painted mine black but wanted the same thing as you I asked the guys at rona and told them it would be high humidity and I probably at some point would spill saltwater on it they gave me a behr primer(ill look at the exact name) I think and ill double check on the paint but it was a standard flat black paint they said it would be fine.

Ask the paint guys at the store they usually know their stuff

sphelps
12-19-2013, 09:14 PM
I'd roll on the primmer with a foam roller, once dry sand any rough sections and reapply if needed. Then spray top coat with gloss white enamel. Use whatever brand you prefer provided both primer and top coat are oil based and rated for exterior use.

belzebuth
12-19-2013, 09:37 PM
I used Kilz water/mildew repellent, painted mine in white high gloss with a foam roller. This stuff lays on pretty thick.. with 2 coats you can really see the wood grain anymore.

rival10
12-19-2013, 10:58 PM
A lot of oil paints have been discontinued to meet Canada's VOC (volatile organic compounds) regs. Kilz still has a good primer that is oil based and has a built in "stain blocker" to stop any of the tannins in the wood from bleeding through and discolouring your finish coats. Cloverdale has a similar product. For a finish coat you can use a paint product that is specifically formulated for bathrooms. As a painting contractor I would recommend Cloverdale, General Paint, or Benjamin Moore ($$$). Each will direct you to their product that has built in properties to resist mildew, etc. Foam rollers are great, but do not overwork the paint, or try a 5 mm sleeve. If you try one method of application and do not like it you can still give a light sand and use another method to finish. For sanding u can get medium to fine sponges to use between coats. Good luck with your project.

spit.fire
12-19-2013, 11:43 PM
I ran out of wood :( all I have left is a solid 3x8" x8' long beam that my tablesaw is really not going to like

monocus
12-20-2013, 07:59 AM
use marine enamel after priming or an alkilide

monocus
12-20-2013, 08:00 AM
use the tree that came down in your yard

spit.fire
12-20-2013, 09:22 AM
use the tree that came down in your yard

Haha I blew the rings on my chainsaw cutting it up