PDA

View Full Version : What Salt Do You Use?

straightrazorguy
12-18-2013, 11:12 PM
Hello Vancouver fellow reefers! I am fairly new to reefing (my tank is only 1 yr old), and have had Ok results with corals. I have been using IO salt from King Ed, because...ahem...I'm cheap!

I don't want my salt to be a limiting factor in my coral growth. I also read on lots of praise of Tropic Marin Pro salt, but it's not available locally. What do you, local reefers use? And where do you buy it?

Wheelman76
12-18-2013, 11:17 PM
I would start a poll on which salt everyone uses , I don't think we have had one of those yet on Canreef

Wheelman76
12-18-2013, 11:19 PM
In all seriousness though , use the search and I'm sure you will find plenty of opinions on this subject.

Aquattro
12-18-2013, 11:24 PM
I would start a poll on which salt everyone uses , I don't think we have had one of those yet on Canreef

I think I just heard Bill explode -lol

Wheelman76
12-18-2013, 11:33 PM
Lol

straightrazorguy
12-18-2013, 11:36 PM
In all seriousness though , use the search and I'm sure you will find plenty of opinions on this subject.

I actually did, and came up empty-handed. I got lots of opinions on Reef Central and other forums. I'd just like to know what local reefers use...

Aquattro
12-18-2013, 11:41 PM
Local reefers mostly use IO from King Ed's because it's cheap. It's a decent salt, all the polls we have here show at least 50% of people use it. Nothing wrong with it, maybe a bit low in some things on some days. Test each bucket for baseline levels, manufacturer's tolerances are wide :)

Aquattro
12-18-2013, 11:42 PM
Here are some threads on salt polls

http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/search.php?searchid=2899678

Magickiwi
12-18-2013, 11:48 PM
Ya you inadvertently stepped on a pile of poop when you asked that question. It's a topic that seems to get brought up a few times a month :) And occasionally as a poll

straightrazorguy
12-19-2013, 12:14 AM
Ya you inadvertently stepped on a pile of poop when you asked that question. It's a topic that seems to get brought up a few times a month :) And occasionally as a poll

I stepped right in it, didn't I? My first impulse was to creat a poll, but I'm glad I didn't.

I think I need to hone my thread search skills...

Proteus
12-19-2013, 01:02 AM
Windsor table salt here. Lol. Well on fries anyway. And a little suger.

I use kz. But have used h2ocean, seachem and was fine with those

Aquattro
12-19-2013, 03:44 AM
My first impulse was to creat a poll, but I'm glad I didn't.

Personally, I think that would have been hilarious :razz:

Madreefer
12-19-2013, 03:49 AM
Personally, I think that would have been hilarious :razz:

Ummm why?:lol:

Yes it would have been funny, I agree

seabass16
12-19-2013, 09:31 AM
Used H2ocean but now using reef crystals cause it's cheaper

kien
12-19-2013, 02:50 PM
I think the reason we see this asked so often is because salt forms the foundation of our hobby. I actually don't mind seeing this question asked over and over again because the results do vary slightly. Of course IO dominates the hobby, but we've seen over the years new salts come and go. Royal Nature anyone??? There are people like me who don't mind trying new salts often so my vote would change often. And now I see these days that there are salts that I have never even heard of. It is interesting to see the results over time.

sphelps
12-19-2013, 04:36 PM
Remember oceanpure?

http://www.aquacon.com/assets/images/dry/salt/OceanPurePro1.jpg

Or how about ATI salt that you mixed in Ca separately...
http://www.atiaquaristik.com/de/webdisk/Produktfotos/Wasserpflege/gross%20400pxl/CoralOcean5,5kg%20400.jpg

These where popular where I was 5 years ago

KPG007
12-19-2013, 08:25 PM
I use half IO and half, either KZ or Brightwell, but brightwell salt is getting hard to find, so I may have to change it up or go half KZ full time. I heard J&L may not be bringing in KZ Salt (Reefers Best) anymore though....

spit.fire
12-19-2013, 09:13 PM
I use half IO and half, either KZ or Brightwell, but brightwell salt is getting hard to find, so I may have to change it up or go half KZ full time. I heard J&L may not be bringing in KZ Salt (Reefers Best) anymore though....

I can get it for you if they stop

ATM the supplier is out but there should be a large shipment coming in soon