PDA

View Full Version : Looking for Live Rock.

aznufo
07-16-2004, 08:23 AM
Just started here, and my tank too. Was wondering if any of you could spare some live rock for me, either free or really cheap so I can just get started. Thank you so much. Maybe if any of you have got some LR just sitting around or wanting to change your landscape, PM me or email me at aznufo@shaw.ca.

Aquattro
07-16-2004, 06:03 PM
Welcome to Canreef. It's always good to see new people coming into the hobby. However, getting rock cheap, let alone free, is next to impossible. Check the rock for sale posts and se the responses. There is always a high demand for rock, therefore the price will alwys be up there. Have you looked at J&L for new rock? Prices are pretty good there. I heard Paul's had good pricing on rock a while ago also.

bluetang
07-16-2004, 06:58 PM
Welcome To Canreef!!!
Pauls Aquarium in Surrey usually has rock in stock for $5 lb. Which is fairly cheap. try giving them a call first.

rob

trilinearmipmap
07-16-2004, 07:52 PM
I suggest checking out the live rock at Hidden Reef in Abbotsford. I am getting some next week and I will post pics of it for everyone's entertainment and opinion. It looked pretty good to me.

aznufo
07-16-2004, 10:24 PM
yup, i checked them all out.. but paul's was kinda far.. and they didn't have much rock. most places i found to sell for 5-6$ a pound.. so i onO? what other options do i have?

Quinn
07-16-2004, 10:29 PM
There's always base rock, which can be had for fairly low prices. Depending on your tank size, a few pounds of live rock combined with some base rock could do you well. Otherwise, count yourself lucky, as Vancouver has some of the cheapest live rock on the continent. Out here in Alberta, we pay roughly double what you pay.

And welcome to the board. :smile:

Aquattro
07-16-2004, 11:47 PM
most places i found to sell for 5-6$ a pound.. so i onO? what other options do i have?

Well, that's pretty much standard for live rock. Other options are fish only tank in which you add live rock as you can afford it. One day you get up, and you suddenly have a tank full of rock. Or save up until you can afford it. Rock can end up being one of the cheaper things you'll need for a reef.

hockey nut
07-17-2004, 01:26 AM
Hi and welcome . Just a tip. When I stared I took my time and bought a couple pcs at a time. $20 bucks here and $30bucks there. Sure it took a little longer for my system to be set up and settle down but I had all my rock within a month or two. Buy a pc here and there and like reef-raf said boom your done. How much rock are you looking for? Or, how big is your tank? $20 can get you a nice pc of lv rock. Good luck and welcome to a great hobbie. :smile:

Gools
07-17-2004, 04:34 AM
Geez! I wish I could find rock that cheap. Around here I'm paying $8-10$ a lbs.

aznufo
07-17-2004, 09:19 AM
hahaha well looking for around 25 lbs. i guess for a 33 gallon. i probably won't be into coral just yet. all i have is crushed coral and the saltwater mixed in the tank with some detritivores and took some live sand from a friend to "liven" my crushed coral