PDA

View Full Version : new return pump

flipzed
12-17-2013, 03:14 PM
i just got my new tank going with a new return pump. does it take awhile for it to break in and quiet down? as it sits its not really touching the sides or bottom of the sump,, just wondering if new pumps are usually noisey for awhile till it breaks in or do i just need to get a better pump?

kien
12-17-2013, 03:26 PM
What pump are you using ?

What kind of a noise is it making? Rattling, buzzing, humming, whirring, gurgling, farting ?

Is your stand enclosed or open?

Some people will run their pumps in a bucket of vinegar to help break it in. That may help. Some pumps also come with foam pads that you can set it on. If your pump didn't, then you can get some foam at Michael's and strap that to the bottom (and maybe sides) of your pump.

Magickiwi
12-17-2013, 04:04 PM
What kind of a noise is it making? Rattling, buzzing, humming, whirring, gurgling, farting ?

Morning sounds at your house Kien? Lol

OP: number of possibilities. You may have bought a noisy pump, it may be breaking in, etc.

Whatever you do don't spend $10 for a pad to set it on. Just buy some foam rubber to set it on (if it's not in your sump).

nrosdal
12-18-2013, 12:56 AM
If it is a speedwave/jebao/rlss or really any of the dc pumps available i have found they are much louder for the first or two then they are once ran for a while.

ocean diver
12-18-2013, 01:41 AM
I have a waveline DC 6000 and it is super quiet in my sump....it was that way right from the box

sphelps
12-18-2013, 02:41 AM
I've never heard of pumps breaking in and becoming quieter, what's the logic behind that? As parts wear the pump should become nosier if anything. I think as time goes on people tend to tune out white noise. In other words it doesn't get quieter, you just get use to it. If the pump is noisy now then that won't change unless you actually change something. Vibration is a pretty typical source, it can be reduced with pads as other have mentioned and/or with flexible plumbing instead of rigid.

Scythanith
12-18-2013, 12:31 PM
My Abyzz pumps had a "run in" period. But they were silent right from the start.

http://www.lithicimages.com/photos/i-4hTSTJR/0/L/i-4hTSTJR-L.png

Reef Pilot
12-18-2013, 01:37 PM
I've never heard of pumps breaking in and becoming quieter, what's the logic behind that?

Mine do. I have bought several in tank pumps for my upstairs tank which is in the kitchen. And my wife has very good ears... They typically make a little more noise for the first week or two and then quiet down. And when they wear, they make a lot of noise...