PDA

View Full Version : starting tank soon

fishguyxd
07-16-2004, 03:32 AM
So after i get the tank and stand all set up what steps to do next. Do i get the live sand and andbase rock& LR and let it all settle in for awhile (weeks). testing the water,etc before putting any fish in ?? I still am not sure on what type of sump i going with or pump need something quiet (any suggestions) I have also heard if i get a small cup of established ssand from some one it speeds up the process .also what sand bed creature should i get to start .
{tank is a 72 bow with overflow }

Aquattro
07-16-2004, 04:59 AM
Next, I would get dead sand and your rock. I'm assuming you have saltwater in the tank at the correct temp and 1.026 SG. Run the system with just the rock for a week or so, just to make sure you don't have a cycle. Then start adding your cleaning crew (snails, hermits). After that, you could start adding a fish or 2.
Getting live sand from other people speeds up the cycling, but also transfers any disease they may have in their tank. I wouldn't worry about it.
As for a pump, we'll need to know your overflow plumbing size. It's likely that a MAG 9 or 12 would suit your needs. They are very quiet.

Richer
07-16-2004, 05:17 AM
Pretty muc what reef_raf said. As for the sump and pump, go as large as possible, you won't regret it. A large sump usually means a large refugium, and lots of space for equipement. A large pump will give you the flexibility to run different flow configurations on your tank. Simply putting a ball valve on the output of the pump would allow you to adjust the pumps output... cheap, but effective =).
This (http://www.canreef.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=10541) person here is shutting down a 170gallon tank... contact her for prices on her live rock, that should get you started off very nicely.

-Richer