PDA

View Full Version : Biopellets out, gfo in

chef
12-17-2013, 03:42 AM
Since using h2ocean salt, my alk has climbed to 9.5-10. I was advised to take my pellets offline to correct this. 2 days later, fuzzy rocks and more than usual algae on glass. Would running gfo help fix this. If so, can I run it in the same vertex reactor?

spit.fire
12-17-2013, 03:58 AM
Since using h2ocean salt, my alk has climbed to 9.5-10. I was advised to take my pellets offline to correct this. 2 days later, fuzzy rocks and more than usual algae on glass. Would running gfo help fix this. If so, can I run it in the same vertex reactor?

Yes and yes, I agree with the pulling it off because of high alk too as I found it will kill sps

I'm switching to kz salt once the wholesaler gets more in so I can run my biopellets again

Io has high alk as well

Taipan
12-17-2013, 03:59 AM

I'm uncertain of the impact to your alkalinity; but gfo should help your algae bloom. Secondly; you should be able to use gfo in your vertex reactor. I would make sure the sponge is not too porous such that it allows for gfo to pass through it.

Good luck.

chef
12-17-2013, 04:05 AM
Thanx for the replies

thmh
12-17-2013, 08:11 AM
I believe biopellet does not effect your alk. Did you just start using biopellets? also taking off biopellets cold turkey can cause more harm then good. I would keep the biopellets and run smaller amount gfo to fine tune your p04. Be careful when running gfo because overloading it can strip your tank so i recommend you looking into this product .

http://www.madjellycorals.com/#!product/prd1/1459984201/fauna-marin-ultra-phos-0%2C04-phosphate-remover

Seriak
12-17-2013, 02:30 PM
Running a high Alk with Bio Pellets can cause SPS tips to burn. This happens around 8 dkH. I would definitely take the bio pellets offline until you lower your Alk.

chef
12-17-2013, 02:56 PM
I've been using pellets since the tank got wet a year ago. I don't have any Sps right now (that's another story). They have been offline for a few days. I'm going to j and l today to get some gfo. I'm guessing I should start real slow with it.

Taipan
12-17-2013, 03:01 PM
In theory; starting anything slow is a good idea. However; if you do not currently have SPS - Using the 'regular/prescribed' dosage of gfo should be fine (as opposed to say, 1/2 dosage). That's my opinion.

kien
12-17-2013, 03:03 PM

As others have already suggested, I would definitely take your biopellets off line if your alk is that high. I'm going through that right now with a bit of tip burn due to high Alk myself.

However, taking biopellets offline will not lower your alk so I am uncertain as to your statement, "I was advised to take my pellets offline to correct this." Again, taking BP offline will not correct your alk level. I would recommend water changes with regular Instant Ocean to lower the alk over the course of a few days or weeks.

And yes, you can run GFO to help with your algae issues probably due to a spike in Nitrates and/or phosphates. You can run it in your BP reactor so long as you take your pellets out.

Werbo
12-17-2013, 04:53 PM
You don't have sps and have no problems other than alk at 9-10 dKH? I'd leave the BP online and not change anything and slowly lower your alk using a different salt.

BP use is unrelated to high alk levels

kien
12-17-2013, 05:00 PM
I've been using pellets since the tank got wet a year ago. I don't have any Sps right now (that's another story). They have been offline for a few days. I'm going to j and l today to get some gfo. I'm guessing I should start real slow with it.

oops. I missed the part where you said you didn't have any SPS.

Ya, I would agree with those suggesting to keep your BP running in this case. 10dkH isn't really a problem for anything else in the tank. And again, taking BP off-line won't lower your alk.

xenon
12-17-2013, 05:00 PM
Yes and yes, I agree with the pulling it off because of high alk too as I found it will kill sps

I'm switching to kz salt once the wholesaler gets more in so I can run my biopellets again

Io has high alk as well

FYI: There has been lots of complaints on the zeovit forums of the KZ salt being high in alk.

It makes no sense because their system promotes low alk.

kien
12-17-2013, 05:04 PM
FYI: There has been lots of complaints on the zeovit forums of the KZ salt being high in alk.

I have never used KZ salt, but that would seem baffling to me. It seems in most probiotic systems like BioPellets and Zeo it is recommend to run a lower dkH like 7-8. For them to have a higher alk salt seems counter to that.

xenon
12-17-2013, 05:51 PM
Yep. Baffling to me also.

It's the main reason we don't keep it in stock.

spit.fire
12-17-2013, 08:43 PM

I'll mix up a batch and check it once I get some

If it's too high I'll just lower it

albert_dao
12-17-2013, 08:51 PM

Tested fresh mix last night, 8.2.

Link(s) please. :)

spit.fire
12-17-2013, 09:09 PM
You don't have sps and have no problems other than alk at 9-10 dKH? I'd leave the BP online and not change anything and slowly lower your alk using a different salt.

BP use is unrelated to high alk levels

They don't cause high alk, but if used in a system with high alk they burn sps

Doug
12-17-2013, 11:43 PM
May I ask, what exactly do these "bio pellets", do? I have a chance to have the reactor built into my sump while its getting done but figured no need for it.

Does it even help with phosphate or is a nitrate reducer, which I dont need?
Thanks

kien
12-18-2013, 12:16 AM
Thanks

Yes, yes and yes.

asylumdown
12-18-2013, 04:15 AM
May I ask, what exactly do these "bio pellets", do? I have a chance to have the reactor built into my sump while its getting done but figured no need for it.

Thanks

It eliminates a whole lot less phosphate from the system than nitrate. "biopellets" are tiny little beads of a biodegradable carbon polymer. The principle behind it being that bacteriologically, aquariums are organic carbon limited. Some guy named Redfield figured out that ocean plankton, atomically, are composed of C:N:P atoms at a ratio of 106:16:1. Since then people have extrapolated a dozen ways from Sunday to assume that all microscopic/very small ocean life consumes C, N, and P in similar ratios. While the exact ratios likely vary significantly, the relationship generally holds true.

The idea behind biopellets, or any organic carbon dosing, is that if you provide organic carbon in gross excess, it will no longer limit the growth of aerobic heterotrophic bacteria, which will then consume vast quantities of nitrate, and a much smaller amount of phosphate, roughly in a ratio of 16 to 1, which then gets packaged up in a cellular vehicle that can either be eaten by a coral, or exported by a skimmer. Most people recommend directing the output of the reactor to the intake of a skimmer for this reason.

So while yes, they do consume phosphate, they consume so much nitrate relative to phosphate that nitrate usually ends up becoming a limiting nutrient. People usually find that they still need to run GFO to mop up the excess. There are people who actually dose nitrate directly to try and reduce phosphate (there's a huge thread about this on reef central), but I personally would never in a million years intentionally pour pure algae food in my tank on purpose.

vodka, vinegar, or sugar dosing works on the exact same principle, only in those cases the bacteria have the entire surface area of the tank to grow on. With biopellets the majority of the carbon supposedly stays in the reactor. More like "supposedly" stays in the reactor.

There's as many people who think biopellets are the devil for various and sundry reasons as there are people who use them.

Doug
12-18-2013, 04:41 AM
Thanks guys for the explanation. I need some nitrate for my clams and use more rock than normal anyways. Plus I use Prodibio, so guess this system not for me.

Thanks to the OP for letting me ask this. Sorry for the intrusion.

xenon
12-18-2013, 04:53 AM
I'll mix up a batch and check it once I get some

If it's too high I'll just lower it

How are you gonna do that?

spit.fire
12-18-2013, 06:14 AM
How are you gonna do that?

Classified information

Reef Pilot
12-18-2013, 01:32 PM
Thanks guys for the explanation. I need some nitrate for my clams and use more rock than normal anyways. Plus I use Prodibio, so guess this system not for me.

Thanks to the OP for letting me ask this. Sorry for the intrusion.
Yeah, if you could direct the output of your bio pellet reactor to your clams, they would probably like that... Hmmm, maybe T off one of those small lines (used for plant irrigation) directly to the clam. Probably grow at 10 fold rate... haha. And all that bio pellet waste wouldn't go up your skimmer, and down the drain as waste....:biggrin:

tang daddy
12-18-2013, 03:33 PM
Maybe I got lucky with high alk and bp.
I have a fully dominated sps tank and for over a week and a half my alk was hovering at 14 then slowly dropped to 10.

No tip burned, I would be careful taking bp offline then restarting... You may get cyano by doing this. But it's probally too late as you've already done it.

I don't use zeo, already have pastel sps from feeding my fish 3 times a week.
I only run bp and rowa. Rowa is a very little amount about 2 tbsp for 95g of water volume and changed out every 2 weeks.

Doug
12-18-2013, 04:00 PM
Yeah, if you could direct the output of your bio pellet reactor to your clams, they would probably like that... Hmmm, maybe T off one of those small lines (used for plant irrigation) directly to the clam. Probably grow at 10 fold rate... haha. And all that bio pellet waste wouldn't go up your skimmer, and down the drain as waste....:biggrin:

:thumb:

Proteus
12-18-2013, 08:50 PM

I use kz salt and yes alk has been high in the last 2 boxes