PDA

View Full Version : Red banded trochus snails

coolhandgoose
12-16-2013, 08:09 PM
I bought some red banded trochus snails a few days ago but I'm having a problem with them. They seem to like being upside down on the sand bed and I have to constantly flip them over. Should I be worried about them? Do I have to constantly flip them over or will they right themselves?

Magickiwi
12-16-2013, 08:15 PM
I bought some red banded trochus snails a few days ago but I'm having a problem with them. They seem to like being upside down on the sand bed and I have to constantly flip them over. Should I be worried about them? Do I have to constantly flip them over or will they right themselves?

Trochus are able to right themselves on their own. The drawback being that they are vulnerable until they manage to do so. Do you have hermits? I find mine are always tangling with one snail or another for a shell.

coolhandgoose
12-16-2013, 08:20 PM
No hermit crabs, might get some later.

How long should I give them until they right themselves?

Magickiwi
12-16-2013, 09:28 PM
No hermit crabs, might get some later.

How long should I give them until they right themselves?

If I see them upside I right them mostly to save them the stress and energy but also so my opportunistic crabs don't get at them. But if I think about how often it must happen the other 18hrs/day I'm not near my tank it doesn't stress me out too much.

coolhandgoose
12-17-2013, 04:09 PM
Stupid snail is still in the exact same spot, gonna flip him and see what happens. I'm worried that if they fall somewhere behind the rock work they will die if I can't flip them.

Dearth
12-17-2013, 06:01 PM
I got quite a few trochus snails with lots of hermits I do lose the occasional snail to hermits but sometimes it can take hrs for a trochus to right itself it's not a major concern for me when I see them on their side or upside down eventually they will right themselves

Magickiwi
12-17-2013, 06:06 PM
Personally I feel like I buy snails for my hermit crabs instead of for my tank. In fact I think I'll make that my signature!