PDA

View Full Version : Clam Death

Seriak
12-16-2013, 06:42 PM
Ok, so I have had a Maxima for over 2 years. It survived my coral die off a year ago and it was doing great. Well last month, I went away on vacation and when I returned the clam was picked clean. Obviously it died and the other inhabitants took care of the cleanup for me, but I cannot figure out what went wrong. No fish changes in the last few months. I did add a melanarus a few months ago, but he didn't go near it and I heard they don't. So can anyone guess why it died? All other SPS and LPS were and are still doing fine. All parameters below, but nothing out enough to get me worried. The reason I ask is the Clam discussion at Concepts and I am wondering if it should risk another in the same tank.

Alk 8.0
CA 450
Mg 1250

If the person feeding the tank dropped the pellets into the clam, would this cause issues. I don't mean on purpose, I just mean a few fall into the clam.

Any other ideas?

Delphinus
12-16-2013, 06:54 PM
I don't think pellets would do it in and I would not suspect your wrasse either.

Unfortunately clams just die for pretty much no good reason and unfortunatelier-still they apparently "taste GREAT!!!" to pretty much anyone else in the tank so it doesn't take much to pretty much have an empty clam shell overnight.

Magickiwi
12-16-2013, 07:36 PM
That sucks, I have a couple maxima clams and fingers crossed they are doing great.

Small compensation but if it was a chunky clam it would have a pretty cool shell as a souvenir.

reefwars
12-16-2013, 07:39 PM
check for pyramid snails would be my first thing , find them at night and use bait if you like , at least rule them out :)

is it possible the clam fell over for a period of time while you were away ?

Seriak
12-16-2013, 07:40 PM
check for pyramid snails would be my first thing , find them at night and use bait if you like , at least rule them out :)

is it possible the clam fell over for a period of time while you were away ?

You never know. I have checked for pyramid many times and have never found any and I am sure my wrasses would have made quick work of them anyways. Well Denny, save me a clam!!!

denny_C
12-16-2013, 07:42 PM
Well Denny, save me a clam!!!

if i had a dollar for every time i heard that today i could take the whole week off lol ok well maybe the next 30mins lol

Seriak
12-16-2013, 08:14 PM
if i had a dollar for every time i heard that today i could take the whole week off lol ok well maybe the next 30mins lol

Hey don't be hatin', just because I bought that orange frogspawn from your tank.

denny_C
12-16-2013, 08:21 PM
Hey don't be hatin', just because I bought that orange frogspawn from your tank.

oh the one that had the brown jelly yeah i seen that lol im sure it will be fine:P:P:P

Seriak
12-16-2013, 08:33 PM
oh the one that had the brown jelly yeah i seen that lol im sure it will be fine:P:P:P

Don't even joke about brown jelly in my tank. It would be a Euphyllia Catastrophe.

denny_C
12-16-2013, 08:34 PM
haha nice :P

if it grows i want dibs on a frag lol that was a nice piece;P

Seriak
12-16-2013, 08:36 PM
Lol Wayne beat you to first dibs!

Ryanerickson
12-16-2013, 09:23 PM
I have lost clams to a wrasse but it was a green wrasse it was fine with them for about 3 months then took out 2 in a night I was not 109% on what did it 6 months later I tried another I caught the wrasse in the act killing it so removed the wrasse now have 13 clams haha. Good luck

Seriak
12-16-2013, 09:25 PM
I have lost clams to a wrasse but it was a green wrasse it was fine with them for about 3 months then took out 2 in a night I was not 109% on what did it 6 months later I tried another I caught the wrasse in the act killing it so removed the wrasse now have 13 clams haha. Good luck

I currently have a canary wrasse and a melanarus. I should be okay or so I have read. But you never know.