PDA

View Full Version : Premixed water from big als warning**

btuck887
12-16-2013, 02:07 AM
Just curious as to how many people purchase pre mixed saltwater from bigs? Of those of u who do, how many of u test the specific gravity of it before putting it into your tank? I just picked up5 gallons yesterday and was going to do a water change tonight but after testing it this was the result. I under stand these hydrometers aren't that accurate but I feel this is way to low. You think they would test there batch better before selling it to customers

hillegom
12-16-2013, 02:16 AM
I would ask a friend with a refractometer, recently calibrated to check your readings. Those hydrometers you are using are historically not very accurate.
Failing that, bring a sample of the water to another LFS and get them to check your reading. They will do this for free

kien
12-16-2013, 02:25 AM
I would trust a politiain before I would trust that swinging arm hydrometer. Just sayin'. :-).

In other words, definitely try retesting with a refractometer and see what you get. If the refract reads low then we'll talk :-)

The Grizz
12-16-2013, 02:28 AM
I would trust a politiain before I would trust that swinging arm hydrometer. Just sayin'. :-).

In other words, definitely try retesting with a refractometer and see what you get. If the refract reads low then we'll talk :-)
Exactly!!! Worst thing ever invented.

btuck887
12-16-2013, 02:31 AM
Ya I better get a refrac then because my tank reads "good" from the hydrometer so maybe it's not good but REALLY high!! Anyone got a refractometer for sale :p

The Grizz
12-16-2013, 02:38 AM
If you can afford a new one I would go that route so you can be assured it is correct & get some calibration fluid as well. Talk to the crew at Concepts, Im sure they can fix you up.

mrhasan
12-16-2013, 02:53 AM
If you can afford a new one I would go that route so you can be assured it is correct & get some calibration fluid as well. Talk to the crew at Concepts, Im sure they can fix you up.

+1. Plus the big day is coming and concept will be throwing crazy deals. I am pretty sure that reading is at least 0.06 off. And don't be too lazy, mix your own saltwater :razz::mrgreen:

Proteus
12-16-2013, 03:07 AM
Kink in my neck. But I spose a pic of the refractor may have left a iPhone impression on my face

btuck887
12-16-2013, 03:11 AM
+1. Plus the big day is coming and concept will be throwing crazy deals. I am pretty sure that reading is at least 0.06 off. And don't be too lazy, mix your own saltwater :razz::mrgreen:

I have thought about it but I don't have an rodi unit so I would need to go buy water from them anyways ha ha, how do u mix yours? Do u have ur own unit?

intarsiabox
12-16-2013, 03:32 AM
If you want a cheap RO/DI unit look at Aquasafe. They are in BC and you can order from them direct but they also sell on Ebay for cheaper. I got my unit with 5 sets of filters and a TDS meter for $100 but that was awhile ago. It doesn't take long to make your money back especially when you factor in your gas to go pick up RO water as well.

mrhasan
12-16-2013, 04:31 AM
I have thought about it but I don't have an rodi unit so I would need to go buy water from them anyways ha ha, how do u mix yours? Do u have ur own unit?

Yah I own a generic RO unit (without DI). Outputs 4tds water and I am fine with that.

If you want a cheap RO/DI unit look at Aquasafe. They are in BC and you can order from them direct but they also sell on Ebay for cheaper. I got my unit with 5 sets of filters and a TDS meter for $100 but that was awhile ago. It doesn't take long to make your money back especially when you factor in your gas to go pick up RO water as well.

+1. Aquasafe would be the cheapest option and produces 0 TDS water ;) Fixing it with the line in a rented place might be a bit of a challenge. Just have a peak at all the possible location's under the sink pipes; if its copper, it will be a problem since you will have to pierce it; if its flexible pipe, the line can be easily fitted. Another "portable" option would be to have a faucet connection but that might reduce the pressure through the unit.

The Grizz
12-16-2013, 04:49 AM
if its copper, it will be a problem since you will have to pierce it; if its flexible pipe, the line can be easily fitted. Another "portable" option would be to have a faucet connection but that might reduce the pressure through the unit.

Not so, all taps should have threaded fittings and you can get a tee fitting to branch off any existing line.

mrhasan
12-16-2013, 05:20 AM
Not so, all taps should have threaded fittings and you can get a tee fitting to branch off any existing line.

Yah but it might be rusted at the joint or not easily accessible and trying to open it might not be a good idea in a rented place. The kitchen sink in my apartment has copper fitting so I didn't dare to touch that. The sink in the toilet was flexible and yet I had tough time to open the threaded fitting (probably I am the one who opened the thread since it was fitted, maybe a decade ago :razz:)

Simons
12-16-2013, 08:55 PM
I couldn't imagine hauling water from any LFS, I guess with smaller tanks it's an option but I would think over time getting a RO/DI unit would be a much cheaper option.

I mix about 100Gal of fresh salt water every two weeks for water changes. Dragging that much water around from a LFS would be..well impossible for me.

spit.fire
12-16-2013, 08:59 PM
I couldn't imagine hauling water from any LFS, I guess with smaller tanks it's an option but I would think over time getting a RO/DI unit would be a much cheaper option.

I mix about 100Gal of fresh salt water every two weeks for water changes. Dragging that much water around from a LFS would be..well impossible for me.

I watched a guy load up a 5g jug of ro/di water onto a 2 week electric scooter at a lfs

btuck887
12-16-2013, 09:02 PM

I have only got a 29 biocube so it's only a jug once a week, just toss it in my car and whenever I pass by I just get it filled up so it works for m right now. Iv got some feelers out for a 2nd hand ro/di unit. It's hard when ur a student, student loans don't allow for saltwater supplies ha ha :p

The Grizz
12-16-2013, 09:17 PM
There is one for sale here in red deer, Martin (modular led) cheap to just needs new cartridges.

http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=102882

btuck887
12-17-2013, 07:17 AM
so i must fess up ... the water purchased from big als was right on the money ha ha, my hydrometer is way out to lunch. just tested the tank with the refract. its reading at 1.029. whats the best way to get it doown to normal? just slowly add fresh water over the next few days?

kien
12-17-2013, 03:08 PM
so i must fess up ... the water purchased from big als was right on the money ha ha, my hydrometer is way out to lunch. just tested the tank with the refract. its reading at 1.029. whats the best way to get it doown to normal? just slowly add fresh water over the next few days?

You can slowly add fresh water so long as you take out tank water as well. If you only dump in fresh water your salinity will go down, but then it will just go right back up again when the water evaporates. Remember, salt doesn't evaporate :-)

fishguts
01-21-2014, 01:09 AM
Yeah I been lazy lately and getting my water from them. 4 Different times now and every time they are low 1.020- 1.022. I checked it with my refractometer. I asked them at big als and they didn't know you had to adjust their refractometer once and a while. So no more water from them.:lol:

darkreef
01-21-2014, 01:25 AM
big als water is for fish only tanks ..
i would buy the water and mix it myself .

a bucket of salt would last you a year.

im 7 months on one bucket . 33g