PDA

View Full Version : Help with New Tank Ideas

BackPackHunter
12-15-2013, 11:18 PM
So I hope to be putting in a new tank, after a very long brake from the hobby. I have to move a furnace, hot water tank, and electrical panel, and level part
of the floor, and the room needs to be finished, insolation, wet board, tile the floor etc... this room will also hold the washer dryer, and QT tank....
The tank is going to be built in, to be viewed from the living room.

looking for input on my design

I know the fun of working and cleaning a 36" deep tank (ive had one)
This is not a closed loop :)

the over flows are place where they are to have live rock built around them like 2 mountains....

I want a "reef" tank, but the 2 main occupants might eat the reef....Got my fingers crossed thats not going to happen...

Main fish Emperor & French Angelfish

other fish... Achillies & Kole yellow eye Tang , Golden Angelfish
Picasso Percula Clown fish x2 (unless my wife picks a different kind)
maybe 15-20 Pygmy Sweepers
Also a few smaller fish that have jobs, like cleaning sand etc...

This build isnt going to happen over night, just like to plain ahead and work out some bugs...
But im very excited to finally have a tank again, seems like its been forever

Also plaining on running high end LED lights

The 2" hole in the back corner is a emergency drain, if the tank ever needs to be drained 100%
the 2" holes in the back are for water changes
the 1.25 holes are all returns

thanks for any input
sorry about the pics

Madreefer
12-15-2013, 11:23 PM
Holy crap that's alot of work just prepping your home. Good luck and I'll be following along

brotherd
12-15-2013, 11:25 PM
Great tank plan. I wish I had done the 3 foot deep.

WarDog
12-15-2013, 11:42 PM
http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=12261&d=1387150931http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=12262&d=1387150931
http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=12263&d=1387151376

WarDog
12-15-2013, 11:43 PM
Following :pop2:

BackPackHunter
12-15-2013, 11:45 PM
Holy crap that's alot of work just prepping your home. Good luck and I'll be following along

yes its a lot of work, but the new house just fit us so nice
did look at houses with unfinished basements, but it was just way to much work to finish a full basement, everything is finished in the new house except for the one room, which is ok, but going to be pain to finish it, to fit this size of tank

i dont move in till feb 21, hoping to get most of it done durning brake up as im a DIY guy.... and hope to get the tank in before the end of Aug, then its hunting season, and I be very busy with that,

BackPackHunter
12-15-2013, 11:46 PM
Following :pop2:

thanks for making the pics better WarDog

intarsiabox
12-16-2013, 03:18 AM
Have you thought of using a coast to coast external over flow? That way you have the entire tank to do what you want instead of trying to hide pipe work, plus a lot more surface skimming.

BackPackHunter
12-16-2013, 04:28 AM
Have you thought of using a coast to coast external over flow? That way you have the entire tank to do what you want instead of trying to hide pipe work, plus a lot more surface skimming.

I do see the point your making but....

I'm using the overflows for structure, to build the "mountains" and this will give the tank a figure 8 feel, so there kinda apart of the aquascaping design...
If I did go external over flows, I still want two big mountains in the tank, this giving me a ton of rock all piled up or a dead spot for flow if I glue the rock together and made them hollow .

Do you think two 8" overflows will not provide enough surface skimming?

intarsiabox
12-16-2013, 12:37 PM
Yeah, should be plenty.