PDA

View Full Version : Catch a Tang Day

Aquattro
12-15-2013, 03:01 PM
So after 2 years of everyone living together nicely, my Tangs have revolted. The Achilles is chasing the Yellow, and the Yellow has beat the crap out of the Purple. Purple needs to come out today. Here we go again, tank draining day :)

Leah
12-15-2013, 03:07 PM
Bet you had nothing better to do. :wink:

Aquattro
12-15-2013, 03:08 PM
Bet you had nothing better to do. :wink:

Nope, nothing. To add to my adventure, I'm alone with a 3yo all day. This is gonna be fun!

Leah
12-15-2013, 03:14 PM
Hehe! Hope you wait for nap time, for the little one that is.

chef
12-15-2013, 03:16 PM
Fish trap doesn't work? Awhile back a fellow reefer built me one that works every time. A plastic critter keeper with weights on the bottom and lid. Lid stays open w/ fishing line. It may take a bit for the right fish to go in, but it always catches the right one.

Aquattro
12-15-2013, 03:16 PM
Hehe! Hope you wait for nap time, for the little one that is.

No, she can help :)

Aquattro
12-15-2013, 03:17 PM
Fish trap doesn't work? Awhile back a fellow reefer built me one that works every time. A plastic critter keeper with weights on the bottom and lid. Lid stays open w/ fishing line. It may take a bit for the right fish to go in, but it always catches the right one.

No room in the tank to put a trap. Can't even fully submerge a net without it snagging on coral. The tank drain is way faster.

chef
12-15-2013, 03:20 PM
No room in the tank to put a trap. Can't even fully submerge a net without it snagging on coral. The tank drain is way faster.

Wish I had that problem

Aquattro
12-15-2013, 03:23 PM
Wish I had that problem

It does have it's drawbacks :) Can't catch fish -lol

jorjef
12-15-2013, 06:18 PM
The word in the tank is its loosing water, panic and a power struggle has set in with the inhabitants as to who is first out. I think all can be restored if you have Rig talk to the tangs and have him reassure them that you will be installing the ghetto closed loop system soon and all will be back to normal.

Aquattro
12-15-2013, 06:22 PM
The word in the tank is its loosing water, panic and a power struggle has set in with the inhabitants as to who is first out. I think all can be restored if you have Rig talk to the tangs and have him reassure them that you will be installing the ghetto closed loop system soon and all will be back to normal.

Do you have a Border Collie too??

The Guy
12-15-2013, 06:29 PM
It does have it's drawbacks :) Can't catch fish -lol
Ya it's the only thing that sucks about reefing, I've been trying for months to catch 1 chromis so he wins I lose! :razz:

jorjef
12-15-2013, 06:30 PM
No sir. But if I believe my wife we have a talking cat.

Aquattro
12-15-2013, 06:33 PM
No sir. But if I believe my wife we have a talking cat.

So is the closed loop your idea, or the cats'? Cause I don't trust cats.

Aquattro
12-15-2013, 06:34 PM
Ya it's the only thing that sucks about reefing

I can add quite a few items to that list today :cry:

jorjef
12-15-2013, 06:47 PM
So is the closed loop your idea, or the cats'? Cause I don't trust cats.

Oh no that's my gem! According to the wife the cat not only talks but is smarter than yours truly so he would likely suggest a new tank. In fact when my tank sprung a leak about five weeks ago that's the excuse I used to buy a new tank rather than attempt to repair. I said to her 'Heh that's what the talking cat advised me to do so I'm going shopping'

Aquattro
12-15-2013, 06:57 PM
I thought about a new tank yesterday, but decided that if I have to empty this one and start over, I'd just quit. There is no way I could rebuild with the colonies I have, so I'd have to frag everything, toss 4 pounds of coral in the garbage and wait some years to get it back to where it is.
If I lived in Van, I'd be having a clearance sale this weekend.

Luckily it's looking like it might be a bulk head leak, although fixing that presents it's own challenges.

gregzz4
12-15-2013, 09:27 PM
I too am catching fish today
I'll post up my results after I get the second and maybe a third one in jail

Aquattro
12-15-2013, 09:48 PM
I'm done. About 30 minutes from start to finish. Purple in frag tank, YT on way to new home. Who needs fish traps!!

gregzz4
12-15-2013, 09:51 PM
Good job :wink:
I'm about to post pics in my thread, and start a FS one

Madreefer
12-15-2013, 09:56 PM
Greg it's the giving time of year. :lol:

gregzz4
12-15-2013, 10:01 PM
Well, if you can be here in a couple hours it's your's - otherwise I think I'll sell it :razz:

Aquattro
12-15-2013, 10:02 PM

Ya, I just gave away my Tang :)

Aquattro
12-15-2013, 10:08 PM
The down side of my fish catching method is that sweet smell of acro. The neighbours can probably smell it right now -lol

gregzz4
12-15-2013, 10:08 PM
Ya, I just gave away my Tang :)
OK, I'm covered then :) You did our good deed for today

Aquattro
12-15-2013, 10:09 PM
OK, I'm covered then :) You did our good deed for today

2 good deeds. I didn't kill the yellow for being an ass.

Madreefer
12-15-2013, 10:16 PM
I was thinking on getting an Achilles to go with my yellow and kole tang. Now I have to take that off my list of wants. MI is moving to the top.

Aquattro
12-15-2013, 10:31 PM
MI is moving to the top.

Is that Moorish Idol? I'm thinking of one, just have to think a bit harder :)

gregzz4
12-15-2013, 11:10 PM
2 good deeds. I didn't kill the yellow for being an ass.
:rofl:

I was so mad at my wrasses and perc I was thinking about using a hook and flinging them across the room. You know, just to make sure they didn't come off the barb-less hook and fall back in the water :rolleyes:

Then I thought about using a barbed hook but I don't have any anymore ...

Good thing the first one I caught was just a quick stab through the surface water as I was very ticked last night

Madreefer
12-15-2013, 11:27 PM
Is that Moorish Idol? I'm thinking of one, just have to think a bit harder :)

Shhhh they'll hang us.

Aquattro
12-16-2013, 12:38 AM
Shhhh they'll hang us.

Gotta catch us!

Doug
12-16-2013, 12:55 AM
Wow Brad. You're pretty good at that. I gotta say..:D

I hope you can fix the leaky bulkhead ok.

Aquattro
12-16-2013, 01:06 AM
Wow Brad. You're pretty good at that. I gotta say..:D

I had a guy over (Nuttyreefer) watching and he thought the same thing :) This was my 4th time draining, so getting the hang of it. I don't want to do it again though.
It's getting tough to even grab fish off the bottom, too much coral.

Rice Reef
12-16-2013, 04:02 AM
I had a guy over (Nuttyreefer) watching and he thought the same thing :) This was my 4th time draining, so getting the hang of it. I don't want to do it again though.
It's getting tough to even grab fish off the bottom, too much coral.

Brad, next time I need to catch a fish I will hire you.

kien
12-16-2013, 04:10 PM
So after 2 years of everyone living together nicely, my Tangs have revolted. The Achilles is chasing the Yellow, and the Yellow has beat the crap out of the Purple. Purple needs to come out today. Here we go again, tank draining day :)

I think you secretly enjoy draining and refilling the tank.

Delphinus
12-16-2013, 04:17 PM
^^^^^ +1

Delphinus
12-16-2013, 04:20 PM
I'm actually strangely a little bit jealous about it too. I don't know what I'm finding weirder about this whole thing.

kien
12-16-2013, 04:23 PM

I'm actually strangely a little bit jealous about it too. I don't know what I'm finding weirder about this whole thing.

Must be all the ink. Makes you a BAMF. It also helps to have the arms (and chest, and back and abs and quads) of a Gladiator.

Delphinus
12-16-2013, 04:25 PM
I had to google what a BAMF is. I thought it was just where the unicorns lived. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AkW-EAkClbE

Aquattro
12-16-2013, 04:36 PM
I think you secretly enjoy draining and refilling the tank.

It has it's moments, but it's more a DAMF set of moments most of the time.

However, if I ever build another tank, it's going to have a 3" valve on the bottom!

Delphinus
12-16-2013, 04:40 PM
Do you ever get tempted to do a really big waterchange?

If I had the ability to store the nearly 280g (whatever it works out to minus the overflow and rock and stuff) of my DT I would probably do the same (drain the tank to catch fish, and/or do the occasional "reallly big" w/c..)

What do you do with all the water you take out?

Aquattro
12-16-2013, 04:42 PM
If I had the ability to make 150g of water in a single container that did NOT sit in my kitchen, then ya, I'd do one once a month.

To do the tank drain party thing, I borrow some 50g barrels from my LFS.

asylumdown
12-16-2013, 05:07 PM
Having problems with chemistry? levels out of whack? Can't get those pesky nutrients down? Don't waste your money on those new-fangled and expensive additives, try new the new and improved 98% water change! Flush those problems down the drain and Presto! It's like you've got a new tank!

I :laluot_29: giant water changes

Delphinus
12-16-2013, 05:20 PM
Exactly ... it is one big thing I miss about running smaller tanks!!

In the scheme of larger tanks my 280g is on the smaller side but I am still unable to do anything larger than 50g at time. I could maybe bump it up to something larger if I did a 50g changeout in the DT and then empty the sump and then use *it* as a second mixing chamber but I don't like to use water that hasn't been mixing for at least a few hours.

Buddy of mine on an acreage has something like a 1000g rain barrel (thing is massive!!). Something like that would be awesome to have onhand but there's .. kind of not a lot of options to put such a beast.

Wish I had thought to sink one of those in the ground under my deck before I built the deck and then just build that sucker around/on-top of it. :lol: Next house maybe for sure!

lastlight
12-16-2013, 07:02 PM
i was thinking that too tony... nice cistern. imagine the cost to heat it to temperature though especially in the winter.

asylumdown
12-16-2013, 11:03 PM
i was thinking that too tony... nice cistern. imagine the cost to heat it to temperature though especially in the winter.

Imagine the cost of heating it just enough so that it didn't freeze to a solid block of ice and rupture during that two weeks of minus 1 million we just had, let alone keeping it warm enough to put in your tank.

spit.fire
12-17-2013, 12:08 AM
Biggest water changes I did was 160g, made it easy to mix salt and kept my sharks happy

SeaHorse_Fanatic
12-17-2013, 03:29 AM
I typically do 110g+ water changes at a time, filling 2 x 55g barrels to the top & usually mixing up a bit more. However, that takes care of the 165g, 60g 2' cube & RSM. Sometimes I will do a third barrel to give a bigger overall water change.

BTW, just caught out a whole bunch of tangs, rabbitfish & wrasse from a friend's tank and we took out the rock, rather than drained the tank.

Rice Reef
12-17-2013, 08:07 PM
Brad, how did your low tide similation go? Found a new home for the tang?

Aquattro
12-17-2013, 08:58 PM
Brad, how did your low tide similation go? Found a new home for the tang?

Todd took the yellow and the purple is recovering in the frag tank. Not sure what to do with it now. Pretty sure the Achilles will take it out if I out it back in the DT. Might try and trade for a Moorish Idol :)

Rice Reef
12-17-2013, 09:00 PM
Todd took the yellow and the purple is recovering in the frag tank. Not sure what to do with it now. Pretty sure the Achilles will take it out if I out it back in the DT. Might try and trade for a Moorish Idol :)

I thought Tyler was looking for a Purple...no?

Aquattro
12-17-2013, 09:05 PM
I thought Tyler was looking for a Purple...no?

Ya, just not sure I want to part with it. I spent years trying to find one, and now to get rid of one would suck. But, I do like my Achilles more. So not sure.

Rice Reef
12-17-2013, 09:12 PM
Ya, just not sure I want to part with it. I spent years trying to find one, and now to get rid of one would suck. But, I do like my Achilles more. So not sure.

Tough choice... but I would also go with the Archilles as well.

Aquattro
12-17-2013, 10:06 PM
Tough choice... but I would also go with the Archilles as well.

Achilles is in the tank, the Purple isn't. No choice there, really :)

wreck
12-17-2013, 11:30 PM
Hey brad do you have any recent pics of your tank?

Aquattro
12-18-2013, 12:34 AM
Hey brad do you have any recent pics of your tank?

Not immediately handy, but the 2014 FTS thread will start in a couple weeks, I'll have a good shot in there :)

Madreefer
12-18-2013, 12:50 AM
Not immediately handy, but the 2014 FTS thread will start in a couple weeks, I'll have a good shot in there :)

Hopefully it can be comment free. Nothing like a thread with 3 pics in it and 15 pages of "nice tank" and "thanks" posts:lol:

Aquattro
12-18-2013, 12:55 AM
Hopefully it can be comment free. Nothing like a thread with 3 pics in it and 15 pages of "nice tank" and "thanks" posts:lol:

Does everyone feel that way? I don't mind asking for no comments, but I think it'll be hard for people to resist :)

Madreefer
12-18-2013, 12:59 AM
Does everyone feel that way? I don't mind asking for no comments, but I think it'll be hard for people to resist :)

Probably not. But it would be neat to try. Maybe it'd encourage more people to start their own tank threads. And yes it'd be hard not to comment, so have them comment in peoples threads. I'm not suggesting no comments to be an a**hole, I think it would be neat a thread with strictly pics.

Reef Pilot
12-18-2013, 01:01 AM
Why not comments? I like reading what people say. There are often questions and comments about corals, or fish, which I think makes the FTS even more interesting.

Madreefer
12-18-2013, 01:04 AM
Why not comments? I like reading what people say. There are often questions and comments about corals, or fish, which I think makes the FTS even more interesting.

Yes true that. Well hopefully we can have more people actually posting pics. Would be neat for quarterly pics of all those that post a FTS to see the progression.

StirCrazy
12-18-2013, 02:00 AM
just start a new thread on the tank that you want to ask questions about. I agree it should be a tank showcase, pictures of the tank and a little write up by the owner.

christyf5
12-20-2013, 09:31 PM
I had to google what a BAMF is. I thought it was just where the unicorns lived. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AkW-EAkClbE

Bwahahahah that cracked me up! I had to think on BAMF too.