PDA

View Full Version : aquavitro salinity

Chris82
12-12-2013, 10:33 PM
Is anyone using this.
Currently using IO but have heard from a couple local guys that swear by this salt.
Then heard its all bs the numbers they say its achieving even though they test each lot.

Any thoughts/experience would be appreciated

Aquattro
12-12-2013, 10:35 PM

After one water change, I found it worked really well at melting ice in my driveway :) (I didn't like it at all)

strauss
12-12-2013, 10:40 PM
Switched from reef crystals to salinity after seeing the success of a few buddies all sps tanks. Reef crystals are great but just trying something else out. I should probably stick to what works but I like trying new things which may be my downfall. I do not let it sit in a mixing container and I water change 20 gallons a week (110 gallon tank) so I don't find the residue most complain about nor do I see a cloudy water issue some have reported. So far all good. Tank is a few weeks old, frags have been in there under a week but staring to polyp up and looking good. Water param's seem good although I have no tested the big 3 yet as all seems right. Hope that helps.

mrhasan
12-12-2013, 10:42 PM
Is anyone using this.
Currently using IO but have heard from a couple local guys that swear by this salt.
Then heard its all bs the numbers they say its achieving even though they test each lot.

A highly variable salt. Great if you get a good batch but having a good batch is very inconsistent. I used it, moved away from it. No ill effect, corals were fine (its just salt after all) but I didn't like the inconsistency (one batch had 1350ppm mg while the other had 1100ppm and that same lot in another bucket had 1250ppm). But they have the best bucket for keeping salt; I flushed 1/3rd of the salt down the drain (which I shouldn't have!), bought h2ocean and is keeping it salinity's bucket. :razz:

After one water change, I found it worked really well at melting ice in my driveway :) (I didn't like it at all)

Do you have that line written down somewhere and always just paste it :lol: Need Brad's attention ASAP: start a Aquavitro salinity thread :razz:

MitchM
12-12-2013, 10:52 PM
I've used Aquavitro, and there's nothing wrong with it.

The most important thing is to test your aquarium water regularly and dose for any shortfalls accordingly.
There is no silver bullet salt. I'm using H2O right now.
Availability seems to be the main issue with salts.

Aquattro
12-12-2013, 10:56 PM
Do you have that line written down somewhere and always just paste it :lol: Need Brad's attention ASAP: start a Aquavitro salinity thread :razz:

No, that was last winter's de-icer. This year I'm using Seachem. :)

mrhasan
12-12-2013, 11:00 PM
No, that was last winter's de-icer. This year I'm using Seachem. :)

Damn I should have kept mine for the winter instead of disposing it off! Seachem seems to be a nice choice. Do you dose? :lol:

Aquattro
12-12-2013, 11:05 PM
Do you dose? :lol:

My driveway?? No..

Proteus
12-12-2013, 11:18 PM
Salinity is garbage. The big three do not match the " lab analysist".
I was in talks with them and there costomer service seems to be headed by idiots

mrhasan
12-12-2013, 11:23 PM
Salinity is garbage. The big three do not match the " lab analysist".
I was in talks with them and there costomer service seems to be headed by idiots

They use many fancy terms to keep up with the "customer service".

Proteus
12-12-2013, 11:31 PM
Not sure if you recall but a while back myself and a few others had batches with ca over 600 and mg below 1000

When I contacted them the insisted that I was mixing my water wrong and suggested I take the powerheads and heater out of my mix tub. To which I replied weather I should do the same in my DT. They refused to admit there analytical was wrong

mrhasan
12-12-2013, 11:36 PM
Not sure if you recall but a while back myself and a few others had batches with ca over 600 and mg below 1000

When I contacted them the insisted that I was mixing my water wrong and suggested I take the powerheads and heater out of my mix tub. To which I replied weather I should do the same in my DT. They refused to admit there analytical was wrong

Yah they generally don't want to admit their fault. Like I was able to convince them that mg in one of their batch is below their threshold (they tested their lot sample and found the label on the lot is wrong) so atleast I had some success with them :razz:

About their heater issue, although they present it in a wrong way but the concept, to me, is sound. I don't like mixing salt with heater in it because of calcium precipitation. I generally bring the water to room temperature with heater, take it out and then mix the salt. Some salt dissolves in lesser time so having the heater in the bucket will not cause precipitation during mixing but some (like salinity) takes a long time to mix and hence precipitation occurs since heater changes the temperature quicker than the salt can mix.

MitchM
12-12-2013, 11:41 PM
Brad,
Doesn't using salt on your driveway bother your dog's feet?
I'm hesitant using salt on our steps because I don't want the dogs getting it on their paws.

Aquattro
12-12-2013, 11:43 PM
Brad,
Doesn't using salt on your driveway bother your dog's feet?
I'm hesitant using salt on our steps because I don't want the dogs getting it on their paws.

No, and typically the dogs go out the side door, not the front steps where most of the salt goes. And I figure once it melts, it washes away.

Proteus
12-12-2013, 11:48 PM
About their heater issue, although they present it in a wrong way but the concept, to me, is sound. I don't like mixing salt with heater in it because of calcium precipitation. I generally bring the water to room temperature with heater, take it out and then mix the salt. Some salt dissolves in lesser time so having the heater in the bucket will not cause precipitation during mixing but some (like salinity) takes a long time to mix and hence precipitation occurs since heater changes the temperature quicker than the salt can mix.

I like to have my water at 79/80 before I add it to my DT. Also the results were not after dumping salt in. I checked multiple times after mixing

mrhasan
12-12-2013, 11:58 PM
I like to have my water at 79/80 before I add it to my DT. Also the results were not after dumping salt in. I checked multiple times after mixing

Yah I also add the mixed water around 76 (my DT remains at 78). Once heated up, it doesn't seem to go below due to the ambient temperature.

Chris82
12-13-2013, 04:01 PM
Thanks for the input guys.
Don't think i will switch does not sound like its anything amazing
Cheers
Chris

Aquattro
12-13-2013, 04:09 PM
Don't think i will switch does not sound like its anything amazing

Honestly, there isn't anything amazing with any salt. It's all pretty much the same. Unless you have a real problem that you are sure is caused by the salt you're currently using, there's seldom a reason to change.

Magickiwi
12-13-2013, 04:46 PM
Honestly, there isn't anything amazing with any salt. It's all pretty much the same. Unless you have a real problem that you are sure is caused by the salt you're currently using, there's seldom a reason to change.

That's why I'm still using Aquavitro Salinity. I haven't had any issues with the #'s, it mixes well and as stated the buckets are fantastic to save (I use it to store my test kits and other items I don't want little fingers or paws getting in to).

No matter what anyone has to say their experiences are their own. Give it a shot if you want, if not don't sweat it. It's not like you're missing out on anything really.