PDA

View Full Version : canopy help

johnny rock
07-15-2004, 12:30 AM
I love the idea of the vho lower than the lights but it needs to be removable in order for major maintenance. this is a big tank so I need some idea of were I can lift a 4 foot section of lights out of the way. maybe attached to a 2x4?

Aquattro
07-15-2004, 01:11 AM
I have my lights on a rack suspended inside my canopy. Works great. To work on it, I just raise the light rack up. My canopy isn't a regular style though, it's built into the stand and side cabinet.

Zerandise
07-15-2004, 05:12 AM
The VHO's in the tank i am about to set up are attached to the flip top lid. so when you want to get in it you flip up the lid and dive in. also gices access to the light for cleaning.

I will take a pic as soon as they get here :)

johnny rock
07-15-2004, 11:43 AM
flip doors, that could work for me, any pics guys would be greatly appreciated. thanks :cool:

Scavenger
07-15-2004, 02:37 PM
I wish my digital camera wasn't in New Zealand right now. But how I did my canopy was with a front panel flip up door and my lights are all on runner boards which I can raise or lower by sliding them into slots that are on each end of the canopy. I guess a adjustable book shelf would be the closest description. This way I can adjust the lights up and down or even front to back as I wish. With my 18 inch front to back tank this lets me run 3 light shelfs. 2 of pc and one of MH.

johnny rock
07-16-2004, 01:34 AM
mmm thats sounds cool as well! did you just attach your MH to a board as well that you can push back and/or raise to another level for acclimation?

Scavenger
07-16-2004, 04:41 AM
mmm thats sounds cool as well! did you just attach your MH to a board as well that you can push back and/or raise to another level for acclimation?

yup, I got about 14inches of up/down to adjust for acclimation and bulb replacement ect. I also made a removable top for the canopy. Off in the summer for air flow and heat escape and on in the winter to hold heat if needed.

robbyville
07-16-2004, 05:21 PM
If you look in my gallery I think that I have a pic of when I installed my canopy.

Like others I have both front doors for routine maintenance, feeding, cleaning, etc. But the lights are also mounted into a flip top lid that locks in the upright position when I need get in there from above.

I used regular hinges for the back of the lid to the canopy, and a heavy duty locking piano (I think) hinge on the side so that it locks into place when opened.

HTH,

Rob