PDA

View Full Version : Question about fans

whaase
07-15-2004, 12:00 AM
Where is everyone buying fans for canopy/pendant hoods from? And what is the best direction(s) for them? ie. 1 pulling air in and 1 pushing air out, Both sucking in, or both pushing out?

Thanks, Walter

DOO-E
07-15-2004, 12:06 AM
You can by them at ufa i have checked. If you have one end of your canopy open i would put 2 pushing air in. but if it is totalty inclosed then i would put 1 in and one out. or drill a hole in the back and put 2 pushing air in.

Delphinus
07-15-2004, 12:10 AM
I do one in / one out on my canopies. This way I know I'm getting an exchange throughout the entire canopy.

Another way to go is both in or both out; this doubles the cfm basically, but I'm not sure if the flow direction is all that controllable. Probably is, but you might need to cleverly design your canopies to accomodate that.

On one tank I am using Icecap fans (DC units). They have temp sensors that contol the speed to one of the presets (low, medium, fast). Keen little units, but pricey. I think I paid $75 EACH. (They may be more now.) Check out saltwaterconnection maybe, that's where I got these.

On my other tank I am using Orian fans (AC). Bought them because they're reputed to be the quietest for their cfm ratings. I got these from Allied Electric out of the U.S. Price probably came to about $35 ea. once landed.

On yet another tank, and over my sumps and stuff when I need extra fans, I have a mixture of DC and AC fans that I just picked up from Princess Auto. They seem to have a number of different stuff and prices ranging from like $5 to $30.

whaase
07-15-2004, 01:34 AM
Thanks for the info! Hey, Tony, did you realize you suggested all 3 ways :lol: I like the one in and one out as well. I know my Coralife has 2 fans pulling air in and 2 vent holes for the air to come out. If I build either one, it will be open on the bottom for a pendant style and on the back for a canopy, that is what makes it a bit harder to decide.... I'll also set up the fans to be on a seperate timer to shut-off 20 minuts or so after the bulb goes out..

Walter

Quagmire
07-15-2004, 02:39 AM
You can also check your local commputer store for cheap fans.

Azilla
07-15-2004, 03:28 AM
Princess Auto is where i got mine.. Dirt cheap.....

Richer
07-15-2004, 04:39 AM
There are actually a few computer fans out there that are speed controlled according to temperature as well... and they are a lot cheaper than 75 bucks. Something like this (http://www.thermaltake.com/products/dcfan/a1357.htm) would work nicely. After all that, all you'll need is a computer power supply and you'd be good to go... power supplies are nice, because you can basically run as many fans as you want on one (no matter no low the watt rating the power supply) and you can run additional things off of it... like an auto-topoff system, leds, etc.

I currently have no fans running since my tank is sitting in the basement of an airconditioned home and has a hard time going over 80F even in this weather, but if I wanted to, I could easily hook up fans to a computer power supply that I salvaged from an old 386.

-Richer

EmilyB
07-15-2004, 05:05 AM
Both in with an escape from the hood. This can be an inch or so off the back of your tank with your hood.

That grow-op place sells them.