PDA

View Full Version : KENT Marine RO units...

robert
09-16-2002, 01:10 AM
I am thinking about getting RO unit. So far I only used AP Tap Water Purifier (TWP). I looked at KENT Marine RO units. Since funds are limited :( , I am really interested in bare bone unit. KM site says it will not remove chlorine. Is this correct? Or is this just a typo? Since I will be running it together with TWP it shouldn't matter, right? Will this unit used together with TWP do the trick? Or should I look into buying Full Size unit and use that one with TWP?

Thanks,
Robert

StirCrazy
09-16-2002, 01:33 AM
this is true and you will destroy your membrain early if you use it like that.. what you need is a carbon block filter infront of it to take out the chlorien (sp*) you can either get a unit with this or youcan spend about 60ish at home depot to set it up.. I would recomend looking at other places for pricingon other brands of R/O kent is expensive and there is no difference between them and say aqua fx or the other popular ones..

Steve

StirCrazy
09-16-2002, 01:34 AM
[ 15 September 2002, 21:48: Message edited by: StirCrazy ]

reefburnaby
09-16-2002, 03:24 AM
Hi,

That is not entirely true. Membranes come in many flavours. It just so happens that the bare bones one comes in TFC and CFA. TFC is will get destroyed with chlorine, but CFA does not. It is better to get the TFC version since it does a better job. The CFA can allow chlorine to flow through, but not a lot of it.

A similar unit at saltwater connections is like the full size kent, but it costs about $180 for 24 GPD 3 stage. This is a better choice since the unit can be easily upgraded to 50 or 100 GPD with a change of the membrane and restrictor. The carbon and prefilter cartridges are standard sizes, unlike the kent bare bones.

Hope that helps.

- Victor.

titus
09-16-2002, 03:36 AM
Hello,

Robert you can take a look at the article by Dave in the library section.

Titus