PDA

View Full Version : Shrinking/shriveled up Xenia

Simmy
12-11-2013, 03:27 AM
I came home to some if my Xenia shriveled and shrunk. I did a 25% water change. Anybody know what's it doing?

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/12/11/numy5yzu.jpg

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/12/11/namaty5y.jpg

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

intarsiabox
12-11-2013, 03:33 AM
Mine would usually do that if disturbed by a fish or me poking around in the tank. Probably will be fine tomorrow.

mark
12-11-2013, 03:56 AM
my xenia would be an indicator if my ca reactor was spiking alk

Simmy
12-11-2013, 04:48 AM
I've never seen them do this. Their stalks have all shrunk and the polyps are tightly closed. In the past their stalks wouldn't shrink but their polyps would pull back. I hope they recover. My parameters are fine. Other corals seem happy.

mrhasan
12-11-2013, 06:28 AM
I've never seen them do this. Their stalks have all shrunk and the polyps are tightly closed. In the past their stalks wouldn't shrink but their polyps would pull back. I hope they recover. My parameters are fine. Other corals seem happy.

Look closely at the xenia and see whether its releasing anything (it would look oily around the xenia). If so, take the xenia out at once. I saved my tank from a crash and the symptom was similar to yours, swiveled up xenia. Brown jelly might be something to look for too.

Simmy
12-11-2013, 05:00 PM
Look closely at the xenia and see whether its releasing anything (it would look oily around the xenia). If so, take the xenia out at once. I saved my tank from a crash and the symptom was similar to yours, swiveled up xenia. Brown jelly might be something to look for too.

I checked before I left the house early this morning and they were still shrunk although the lights were off. Didn't appear to have any oily or brown stuff encasing them. I'll ask someone at home to look at them now to see what they're doing. Is it better to turn up the lights or lower them? The Xenia are mid-tank....although I have a few stalks that are normal as per the pictures above.

H2o2
12-12-2013, 05:06 AM
I think xenia like iodine and read the instructions of this stuff http://www.jlaquatics.com/product/k-lugols/Kent+Marine+Lugol%27s+Solution+Additive+-+1+oz..html

Simmy
12-19-2013, 09:20 PM
Just a quick update, I did 2 more 30% water changes within the last week and my Xenia that were shrunk/shriveled up have now recovered. They're waving in the water as usual and aren't tightly shriveled up. The stalks are not as thick as they were before, but at least their polyps are out and waving about on all of them.

Not sure what was bugging them but they're back!

ocean diver
12-19-2013, 10:16 PM
It is a blessing, hopefully it dies, it will save you head ache and trouble down the road.

Simmy
12-19-2013, 11:09 PM
It is a blessing, hopefully it dies, it will save you head ache and trouble down the road.

How so? Please explain.

SeaHorse_Fanatic
12-19-2013, 11:35 PM
A lot of reefers "hate" xenia because if it is happy, it can reproduce quickly. The nice thing is that if it does this, you can easily frag off stalks, attach them to rubble and trade them in at the LFS for credit. There seems to be an endless demand for xenia so this "problem" is not a real problem.

Simmy
12-20-2013, 02:05 AM
Ok, thanks for the reasoning Anthony. I thought I was missing something.