PDA

View Full Version : HELP! loosing acans...

nerdz
12-10-2013, 10:28 PM
Lost 2 colonies so far. Tissue recedes and the white line of death moves across colony. Not sure what it is or how to treat it?

I tried to salvage the colony by fragging and dipping in iodide.

What should I try?

Thanks for any help

Slyguy00
12-10-2013, 11:42 PM
Water perameters?

Coral Hoarder
12-11-2013, 12:32 AM
pics will help to

Cal_stir
12-11-2013, 01:39 AM
frag off all the dying tissue if you want to save it. been there done that.

nerdz
12-11-2013, 02:16 AM
pics will help to

frag off all the dying tissue if you want to save it. been there done that.

Thanks for input...

Water parameters seem fine. All other LPS, SPS, RTBA and Gorgs are alright.

The frags I chopped up from the mother colony ended up having all the flesh recede and die, leaving only white skeleton. Not much indication of "brown jelly".

I'll try to post a pic

To try dipping should I use: Iodide, Peroxide, TLF Revive???

Timbits
12-11-2013, 04:00 AM
Was just going to say if it is brown jelly? My 6 acan frags had that and it quickly took them all out :twised:

nerdz
12-11-2013, 04:40 AM
Still not sure whats going on...

I did just pull all my rock out tonight to catch a pest crab that has been in there 3+ years... He has grazed my SPS down, maybe Acans too?

I've tried to trap him before without success. I resisted pulling out the rocks because I didn't want my 2 RTBA to walk, (its only a 34G).

Anyone know what it is? Xanthidae Crab??? Ether way, he's now living on top of a Mag5 in the sump...
http://i921.photobucket.com/albums/ad56/rawwilly/A%20few%20updates/reef/34g/2013-12-10201257-1_zps19202bcb.jpg
http://i921.photobucket.com/albums/ad56/rawwilly/A%20few%20updates/reef/34g/2013-12-10201257_zpsc4f62a36.jpg

Borderjumper
12-11-2013, 04:51 AM
Ive had this happen a few times.. Trim off the dead skeleton.. Look carefully and you may see tiny holes bored in the white part of the skeleton right near where there is still healthy polyp. In these tiny holes are very tiny long reddish worms.

If you dip the coral after you trim off the bad you will see the worms wiggle out.

nerdz
12-11-2013, 04:58 AM
Ive had this happen a few times.. Trim off the dead skeleton.. Look carefully and you may see tiny holes bored in the white part of the skeleton right near where there is still healthy polyp. In these tiny holes are very tiny long reddish worms.

If you dip the coral after you trim off the bad you will see the worms wiggle out.

Interesting... Other then sawing off bad portion, is there anything else you can do? Is there any type of dip to combat worms?

Cheers

Borderjumper
12-11-2013, 05:35 AM
Interesting... Other then sawing off bad portion, is there anything else you can do? Is there any type of dip to combat worms?

Cheers

I found that once the holes were visible peroxide worked well..

nerdz
12-12-2013, 08:33 PM

You were right! Fragged yet another dying colony just now and flushed a red worm out with peroxide. Wasn't expecting it to be so large! I was picturing a bunch of 6mm thin as hair worms... I was fairly thick and maybe 3cm long.

I wish I knew of a dip to kill them... I highly doubt I got all of them.

Also, have you ever known these worms to attack other types of coral?

Thanks again!

Poseidons Reef
12-13-2013, 01:16 PM
You were right! Fragged yet another dying colony just now and flushed a red worm out with peroxide. Wasn't expecting it to be so large! I was picturing a bunch of 6mm thin as hair worms... I was fairly thick and maybe 3cm long.

Thanks again!

A lot of people use bayers to dip their corals in.
I don't know if it's of any use to you now but for future reference?

nerdz
12-13-2013, 06:14 PM
A lot of people use bayers to dip their corals in.
I don't know if it's of any use to you now but for future reference?

Yes, useful... I plan to re-dip Acans to root out any remaining worms. I hadn't heard of Bayer before. I just read some threads on it. Mostly on SPS dipping, do you have any experience using it on acans?

I assume its available in Canada?

Thanks

Poseidons Reef
12-13-2013, 06:16 PM
Yes, useful... I plan to re-dip Acans to root out any remaining worms. I hadn't heard of Bayer before. I just read some threads on it. Mostly on SPS dipping, do you have any experience using it on acans?

I assume its available in Canada?

Thanks

ohhh good point, it might not be...
i know alot of my friends use it but i think a couple of them go over the border and grab a whole bunch... i never have actually used it, i just use coral rx, but i do plan on buying some soon.

Borderjumper
12-13-2013, 06:18 PM

Thanks again!

Glad you got one out! Seems I've had problems with these little worms on only wild harvested acans.. If I frag off a polyp and grow it on either a piece of dried rock or a frag disk I never have this problem.