PDA

View Full Version : Just curious

Dearth
12-09-2013, 10:32 PM
Just out of curiosity

Every tank is different no two will exactly ever be the same so the answer to this question could vary greatly

What indicators to you usually look for in your overall tank health and whether or not you take action to correct the issue?

For me I watch my Fish if there is an issue with the tank they always hide in the rocks and won't swim in the open usually it's from a death in the tank usually snails or a water imbalance quick test usually fixes the issues.

Madreefer
12-09-2013, 10:49 PM
Once you get some experience you can tell by looking at your corals. For what it's worth I test maybe every 2-3 months and that's only Ca Kh and Mg. I know exactly what goes in my tank. I haven't owned a nitrate kit or any other test kits for many years. Call it cockiness er whatever you so choose. I call it tank OCD. My tank is in my main living area of my home and I try my hardest to keep it a piece of art rather than an eyesore. If not my wife wouldn't allow it there. :lol:

Ron99
12-09-2013, 11:14 PM
Yup. healthy looking corals that grow. Coraline algae growing all over my glass. My clownfish spawning.

StirCrazy
12-10-2013, 12:24 AM
I used to watch my green Montipora digitata, when my alk was nice and high it would take on a metallic emerald green color, when it started to lose the metallic look then I knew the alk was dropping. this also told me if my Ca was creeping up. other than that I did tests every week or two.

Steve

eli@fijireefrock.com
12-10-2013, 03:41 AM
gorgonians for trace elements
coralline growth and rim coloration for calcium and Alkalinity
some LPS for magnesium
Fish breathing if and when I place new life into the tank
Euphullia corals for water quality for water changes
Front glass for HC-GFO changes
Acans for carbon changes
Actual testing happens every few months
Probe for temperature and PH always online although check ounce a while