PDA

View Full Version : long tenticle plate coral

jwine961
12-09-2013, 02:47 AM
I bought a long tenticle plate coral a few weeks ago. It is doing very well and seems to be eating.
After doing some research I found out that plays corals have a limited lifespan in captivity. is this accurate or is this old information?

albert_dao
12-09-2013, 04:05 AM
They usually last <6 weeks. Pretty standard as a rule. Exceptions happen, but I wouldn't assume success until you've had one past the one year mark.

Craigdillman
12-09-2013, 02:19 PM
really I've heard they are great beginner corals?

jwine961
12-09-2013, 02:21 PM
I heard that as well now I'm confused reading this new information.

Albertareefer51
12-09-2013, 02:32 PM
I had mine for over 2 yrs and it then went to a new home. So I would say that it is inaccurate info. I did only direct feed it twice a week with mysis if that had anything to do with it!

Coral Hoarder
12-09-2013, 03:04 PM
some people think that they dont last some people have experience other wise

kien
12-09-2013, 03:32 PM
I bought a long tenticle plate coral a few weeks ago. It is doing very well and seems to be eating.
After doing some research I found out that plays corals have a limited lifespan in captivity. is this accurate or is this old information?

I think the bottom line is that there's no general rule of thumb on corals like these. They can easily go either way. It's not like studies have been done on these sorts of things so all information is simply anecdotal. I currently have one of these that has lasted about a year now. Previously I had one that only lasted a month.

Carrera75
12-09-2013, 03:47 PM
I think the bottom line is that there's no general rule of thumb on corals like these. They can easily go either way. It's not like studies have been done on these sorts of things so all information is simply anecdotal. I currently have one of these that has lasted about a year now. Previously I had one that only lasted a month.

+1

I had one for a couple of years. I eventually sold it because it got too big for my tank.

mrhasan
12-09-2013, 04:14 PM
really I've heard they are great beginner corals?

Zoas and palys are too :lol:

hunggi74
12-09-2013, 08:43 PM
+1

I had one for a couple of years. I eventually sold it because it got too big for my tank.

That's not completely accurate Daniel. Everything seems to grow in that sumpless, tap water tank of yours:lol:

I've had so called "hardy" corals go south on me and some finicky ones are doing fine. Keep your params in check and you've done all that you can to help it along. The strong will survive and the weak shall be lessons learned.

albert_dao
12-10-2013, 06:31 AM
0___0

But no, seriously, they do have a dismal success rate in captivity.

somewherebeyondthesea
12-10-2013, 06:33 PM

+1