PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone know what this is?

IMCochrane
12-09-2013, 12:13 AM
Hi guys, trying to identify what this stuff is, local pet stores can't figure it out, if I take a turkey baster and spray them with water they come rite off, they don't seem to the rock by much, they almost look like baby mushrooms? Any help is much appreciated, thanks!

Werbo
12-09-2013, 12:56 AM
Kinda hard to tell from the pic but they look like common red flatworms.

If other people agree too then you will wanna kill them with Salifert flatworm exit. Or some wrasses (melanarus, yellow) eat flatworms.

They are toxic in large #s

IMCochrane
12-09-2013, 12:58 AM
That's the one thing the pet store guy said it was not, I'll try to post a better pic

IMCochrane
12-09-2013, 01:01 AM
Unfortunately I'm losing the high resolution when I upload it

Werbo
12-09-2013, 01:42 AM
Hopefully others will chime in.

Look more and more like flatworms from that 2nd pic.

The Grizz
12-09-2013, 01:44 AM
I can confirm for you that these little rust colored flake looking thing ARE in fact a flatworm, if this is your tank you need to treat ASAP with flatworm exit. If you don't get on it now you will have thousands of them in a very short time & yes I am speaking from experience as I am dealing with them myself. I'm at the point where I will be moving all my coral and livestock to a new tank, after a through cleaning. New rock, sand and the works.

IMCochrane
12-09-2013, 01:50 AM
Really eh? Bummer, I'm going to get on it rite away then

Werbo
12-09-2013, 02:10 AM
I had these a few years back. Before treating with flatworm exit, siphon them out using a 1/4 inch airline tube. Get as many flatworms out by siphon because when they die they will release a toxin that can be fatal to your fish. Good luck!

toytech
12-09-2013, 02:25 AM
Sorry to say but everyone is right , I had the same flatworms in my nano and when I did a tank transfer they all died and killed my clean up crew and a bunch of my corals . If you have enough space in your tank for another fish I would get a yellow corris wrasse .

IMCochrane
12-09-2013, 02:31 AM
Does it specifically have to be a yellow? I was just looking on jl's website and they only list a red.

Coasting
12-09-2013, 02:44 AM
I always see 2-3 at least in store every time i go.

But lotsa other wrasse species will do the job too.

toytech
12-09-2013, 04:03 AM
Red coris get big j&l has yellow coris wrasses and also what they list as a banana wrasse which is a type of coris wrasse that will work , my banana wrasse was my favorite fish .

asylumdown
12-09-2013, 06:15 PM
Or you could do what I did... Wait util their population is measured in the millions, until there's so many it looks like you've got a novel species of red coralline algae covering every square inch of your rock, don't siphon them at all, THEN treat with flatworm exit.

They form a mucous that holds mats of them together as they die, so as they start to lift off the rocks they come off in great sheets that look like underwater fire. For 30 minutes it will look like the sacking of Rome in there. Coolest thing ever.

Ay LPS that ate the dying worms were toast. About a third of my corals were seriously damaged or bit it completely.

On Second thought. Don't do what I did.

Aysha
12-09-2013, 07:49 PM
Blue Velvet Nudibranch's also eat flatworms.

waynemah
12-09-2013, 09:36 PM
Six Line wrasse.

IMCochrane
12-09-2013, 09:54 PM
awesome guys, excellent response, really appreciate it