PDA

View Full Version : Underwater camera?

Richer
07-14-2004, 12:15 AM
What kind of underwater camera would you all suggest getting? I'm in the planning stages of a trip to Australia next summer... obviously, I'm going to want to visit the ocean there.

-Richer

Delphinus
07-14-2004, 04:32 PM
Really depends on how much budget you've got. You can go disposable and get some good shots that way, you can go underwater camera, or you can go underwater housing for an existing camera (35mm or digital).

I just took disposables with me when I dove the Barrier. Unfortunately you don't get the best feel for what's going to work so a lot of shots don't work out, but it's important to note that a lot DO. Commit the views to memory and anything that you can take away on film (or media) is a happy bonus.

If you have a digital camera that you are already happy with, I suggest looking into an underwater housing for it. You'd be amazed at the selection available, and chances are (unless you have a really old camera or something) there's one for yours. Now that I have a camera I'm happy with, the next time I go see the GBR this is what I'll be doing (i.e., using my everyday camera with a good housing). Be prepared though: a good housing will cost the same as (or in a lot cases, more than) the cost of the camera itself.

If you plan on doing any diving in the barrier reef, be aware that it's not like the Carribean, Mexico or other places in the south Pacific where you can be spoiled and just grab a snorkel and mask and walk off the beach. There are no reefs close to shore in Queensland (well .. technically not true but access can be an issue), and the beaches are .. well frankly not the best for swimming. There are all kinds of nasties in the water, box jellies, etc. (luckily it's mostly seasonal and the time of year you're planning to go, i.e., our summer, is better, both in terms of the jellies and in terms of weather), and since it's mountainous rainforest with a lot of drainage into the sea, the sea is muddy and silty to well beyond swimming range. Long story short, to see the reef, you have to go on a boat and be taken out to the reef. There are plenty of operators in Cairns and Port Douglas who can take you out for a day trip, or even on a liveaboard situation where you can go for several days. Decide what you'd like to do and decide what your budget is and go from there. You'll not regret for a second anything that you do, seeing the GBR is the most amazing experience of a lifetime.

One last parting thought, most dive operators will film the dives so you can buy a video of the experience afterwards, and the one that I used offered rentals of underwater cameras, so if you want to wait until you're there to worry about the camera situation, you can have that option as well.

trilinearmipmap
07-14-2004, 04:45 PM
There are good camera review on www.dpreview.com.