PDA

View Full Version : Salt Water Storage

Summit09
12-08-2013, 02:43 PM
Im currently storing pre mixed salt water in a brute food grade container and when I went for water today and removed the lid I was overwhelmed with a musky odour. Looking in the container you can see what appears to be black algae, it is all throughout the container both above and below the water level. Is the water still safe to use and how does one prevent this from occurring?

Leah
12-08-2013, 02:44 PM
I would not risk putting it in my tank.

H2o2
12-08-2013, 03:09 PM
Was the salt Salinity or Fluval as fluval did that to a friend of mine

mike31154
12-08-2013, 03:11 PM
Black algae sounds nasty, I wouldn't risk using it. I store my salt water in a plastic container as well & have never had this issue. I have a small power head running to keep it well mixed & prevent stagnation until I'm ready to use it. Usually don't make up fresh water until a week or less before a water change.

Are you using tap water to make your fresh salt water? If so, there could be sufficient organic material in your mix resulting in stuff 'growing' in there, especially if stored for a long time & stagnant.

Summit09
12-08-2013, 03:16 PM
Ya I'm not going to take any risk. Once the waters gone I'll clean the container and everything that was in it with bleach. As I don't know if its black algae or if it could be mold.

Summit09
12-08-2013, 03:23 PM
It is RODI water mixed with fluval salt. It has been left stagnant in the container.

Leah
12-08-2013, 03:28 PM
I would throw a powerhead in it or at least a pump and airstone.

tim the toolman
12-08-2013, 03:30 PM
Yeah fresh water is usually fine to leave standing for a while but salt I always run a powerhead. Even in my ato res I run a powerhead just to be safe.

MMAX
12-08-2013, 03:47 PM
Ya I'm not going to take any risk. Once the waters gone I'll clean the container and everything that was in it with bleach. As I don't know if its black algae or if it could be mold.

I'd clean it with vinegar instead of bleach.

Cal_stir
12-08-2013, 04:00 PM
bleach would be best, let the container dry for at least 24 hours after

Poseidons Reef
12-13-2013, 01:56 PM
Your problem MIGHT be the container, a lot of brute tubs have been proven to leach po4 into the water, I would test the po4 if you can before you throw the water out.

IMO glass tanks are the best way to go for storing an mixing water. No leaching :)

Just a point I thought id bring up as I've dealt with it before.