PDA

View Full Version : Pinpoint pH Monitor

Richer
07-13-2004, 11:43 PM
bulletsworld wanted an update on how this thing performs... so I figured I might as well tell everyone else at the same time.

I've had the monitor working for the last couple of days with the AC adapter, running 24/7 and it seems to do a good job. pH levels go up when expected (ie. after a limewater topoff, during the light cycle, etc.) and pH levels go down when expected (ie. during the night). As far as I can tell, after its properly calibrated, the monitor is quite accurate compared to my Seachem pH testing kit. My tank's pH has been consistantly sitting at around 8.2-8.3 for the last couple of days.

The only thing that I dislike is the calibration process (though I suspect its the same for any other pH monitor), and how the monitor display can jump around whenever my auto-topoff system kicks in. Since my topoff system runs off a computer powersupply, I suspect its the sudden draw of power from this system that messes with the AC adapter and thus confuses the monitor.

Overall, I think this is a great product. Its nice to be able to monitor your pH levels (especially when you're using a calcium reactor, or using kalk as topoff) at a blink of an eye, without having to us a testing kit and guessing at what color matches what on a chart.

-Richer

kari
07-14-2004, 12:06 AM
Ditto above..

Good time saving tool with no hangups and not too expensive. The 9V battery lasts long if you leave it off until you need a measurement. Replacement probe cost is fairly high considering the price of the complete unit yet I haven't needed to replace mine so far.

bulletsworld
08-31-2004, 03:43 PM
Hey Richer!

Thanks for the update! Thanks for remembering! I will for sure buy one now.

Thanks a bunch!

bluetang
08-31-2004, 04:11 PM
I also have one and love it. the only problem is the AC adapter. Ive gone to a 9v battery, as the ac adapter was from the start, giving me strange readings. I went to the LFS were it was bought and they said that the monitor will often read a false reading if the ac power cord is to close to the probe cord.

trilinearmipmap
09-01-2004, 01:27 AM
I've had mine for a couple of months, I use it with a battery. I am not so thrilled with it.

It seems to wander quite a bit. Even during calibration it will wander by 0.05 or so. I have recalibrated it monthly and I just don't have confidence in the readings. It reads down to 0.01 pH but what is the point of that when the accuracy is probably off by 0.1 to 0.2 units?

I wish I'd just bought one of the cheap pH pens, more easily portable for use on several different tanks.