PDA

View Full Version : Mysis.. inital thoughts....

bongy
06-26-2002, 05:42 PM
Just to add my comments too.

All my fish like the stuff. My friend discus was hestiate as first but eat them eventually.

As for it shutting down my skimmer. I know it shut down my skimmer initially but don't know for how long as I went to sleep afterward. After talking to Darren, I did rinse mine before feeding them to the tank.

Bongy

Delphinus
06-26-2002, 05:43 PM
You know, I wonder what's so special about my tank. I feed mysis unrinsed. I just thaw it in some tank water and use either my large turkey baster or my mini turkey baster and shoot the mysis all over the place. The fish go nuts. The shrimp go nuts. The anemones go nuts. Even my little candy cane coral suddenly puts out a thousand feeder tentacles. Everybody goes to town on the stuff, and it's usually gone within a minute or two, tops. And no oil slick for me, and no skimmer shut-down. Maybe on my 50 the counter-current airstone job on that guy slows down a little, but next time I look it's going all guns again.

My stuff loves this stuff and thus I love this stuff (although it's not for me, honest :D ). I want to get more, and it's not going to take me very long to go through and use all mine up. A few more weeks and my 6 bags will be gone.

If I have one complaint, it's the fishy smell I get on my fingers when I break up some pieces into smaller pieces. :D

canadawest
06-26-2002, 06:00 PM
Well I already posted my initial thoughts on Kyle's mysis shrimp after I got mine over a month ago. Seeing as the topic has been re-opened, here's an update:

I have been feeding my tank the mysis shrimp 3 times a week. For the $40 I spent, I probably have enough for another several months. Like mentioned already the fish go nuts for it. I also feed assorted Formula brand flake foods twice a week. Like Darren and others I don't bother rinsing the mysis either, just break off a couple pieces and in the tank they go. Takes about a minute for it to thaw and be dispersed by the powerheads, but the fish are already attacking the floating chunks before it even has a chance to fully thaw.

Observations:

1. My skimmer also stops producing foam for about an hour or two, then is back at it again. This is a welcome change from the Formula frozen cubes (which is also good food) which would also cause my skimmer to stop producing foam, but also overflow the collection cup with tank water after 30 mins or so. (I suspect due to oils or something in the Formula brand foods?) :mad:

2. Fish coloration, physical appearance, energy and health all look excellent. They are obviously getting the nutrition they need from the mysis shrimp (and occasionally flake foods).

I agree, so far only negative is the fishy smell, but what ya gonna do? smile.gif

DJ88
06-26-2002, 06:09 PM
Hey now.. I didn't complain.. ;) and the fish love it.. Today the brain had it's feeders out in a flash when those things hit the water.. So they are being enjoyed by all. ;) All I said was that it shut down my skimemr. All food does that but only for an hour normally..

The fishy smell isn't that bad guys.. wimps.. tongue.gif tongue.gif tongue.gif

Try making yor OWN food for your tank. Now that is a smell. At least this stuff comes off. My food embedded itself in your fingers..

Delphinus
06-26-2002, 07:07 PM
Yeah, but we all know what wimpy skimmer you have there DJ88. Go out and buy a real skimmer already, and stop pretending!

:D :D :D

DJ88
06-26-2002, 07:09 PM
ppffffffffffffftttttttt..

That was me spitting pepsi all over the monitor after reading that one Tony..

lol

good one.. :D

DJ88
06-27-2002, 04:53 AM
Well for two days now I have been feding Kyle's Okanagan mysis.
For the $ you sure get a lot. The fish devour it like nothing else. tho mine are pigs as it is. :D By the looks of it.. I'd say its a resounding success. smile.gif

I haven't been rinsing it before I put it in the tank and have noticed one thing. With even a small pinch of mysis it shuts my skimmer down for a few hours. yesterday was seven hours all told. Today so far it has been three. And that is a bullet 3. So a smaller skimmer may take longer yet.. I can't say for sure as I don't know. lol

all in all.. Good stuff.. I'd recommend it.. smile.gif

Doug
06-27-2002, 10:02 AM
I have been feeding mysis for some time now. I find it leaves an oily substance on my fingers when feeding. I assume thats what shuts the skimmer down.

My clowns eat it, but prefer good flakes. The cleaners go nuts,{hmmmmm} smile.gif , its one of the few foods my bangaii will eat, besides whats in the tank.

smokinreefer
06-27-2002, 08:28 PM
fwiw,
i just gave my fish their first mysis feeding.
all i can say is that everyone took to it...including my copperband! which makes me :D

Aquattro
09-15-2002, 05:00 PM
Sam, I have just sent an email inquiring about a bulk purchase. If feasable, I will make the purchase and have a bit left over for sale.

zulu_principle
09-15-2002, 05:00 PM
I deal directly with www.mysis.com, (http://www.mysis.com,) they say one of the only Canadian sellers is http://www.hiimpactaqua.com/Products/products.html.

I only have the 2.5# bags but would be willing to split the bag if you are interested.

Its excellent feed for most species.

Let me know if you are interested.

Zulu

robert
09-15-2002, 05:51 PM
Hi!
Zulu will you split bag 3 ways?
Thanks,
Robert

Samw
09-15-2002, 05:55 PM
Hi Zulu. Thanks for the offer. How much would that be? Let me see what Brad's plans are.

Brad, if you were going to buy bulk, how would you distribute it to Vancouverites? Will you be asking people to pick them up, ship them, or bring them over?

Zulu, I clicked on their retail outlets (http://www.mysis.com/outlets.html) page and saw the BC retailers. Looks like they have retailers in Delta and Victoria.

[ 15 September 2002, 13:56: Message edited by: Sam W ]

Aquattro
09-15-2002, 06:15 PM
Sam, not sure yet until I find out cost. It may be better for me to buy it retail from the Victoria outlet. If the price is right and I do get it, I would most likely bring some to Vancouver in person. I go over fairly often. I'm still waiting for a reply on pricing from Mysis.com

zulu_principle
09-15-2002, 10:59 PM
Sam

Sorry, didnt click the link was only looking at online retailers.

Would split a bag or two for those interested.

Zulu

Samw
09-15-2002, 11:37 PM
Brad, yeah, it'll be great to find a local retailer. I've emailed J&L to see if they want to start carrying PE. I hope they do. They'll be supporting a local BC business and get a good quality product. I've been reading from other hobbiest that the quality of PE is better than Sally's (San Fran Bay) brand. Zulu, I've PM'ed ya about your offer. Thanks.

[ 15 September 2002, 19:38: Message edited by: Sam W ]

robert
09-15-2002, 11:53 PM
Sam, what is PE?

Samw
09-16-2002, 12:01 AM
Originally posted by pirate:
Sam, what is PE?<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Good question. I just looked it up now. Its Piscine Energetics.

http://www.mysis.com/proprietor.html

Terrance Wong
09-16-2002, 12:20 AM
If anyone in the Lower Mainland is planning on doing a bulk order, I'd be interested.

Thanks,

Terrance

Aquattro
09-16-2002, 03:17 AM
I will be ordering from them this week or next. I think most will be sold here, but I should have some left when I come to Van in a couple of weeks. Price yet to be determined.

reefburnaby
09-16-2002, 03:30 AM
Hi,

This link should give you an price range for the mysis :

http://www.canreef.com/ubb6/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=000813#000000

The shipping will probably be a little different, but it is in the same price range. I am interested in a local buy.
- Victor.

[ 15 September 2002, 23:44: Message edited by: reefburnaby ]

zulu_principle
09-16-2002, 03:30 AM
Brad

You will be talking to Patsy, they usually ship on Tuesday and the minimum order is not the smallest I have ever had.

If its too large for you, let me know as I have some here that I could get to you asap.

Zuu

Samw
09-16-2002, 04:45 AM
Originally posted by delphinus:
The fish go nuts. The shrimp go nuts. The anemones go nuts. Even my little candy cane coral suddenly puts out a thousand feeder tentacles. Everybody goes to town on the stuff, and it's usually gone within a minute or two, tops. <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">OK, I missed out on this mysis group buy. I thought there would be another but so far I haven't heard anything. I feed my tank the Hikari and San Francisco Bay brand mysis shrimp but they don't go nuts like I thought they would.

I also read that PE Mysis shrimp are suppose to be the best. I just want a pack of this stuff. Where can I buy one?

[ 15 September 2002, 12:58: Message edited by: Sam W ]