PDA

View Full Version : reefkeer elite

Edmonton Eskimo
12-07-2013, 06:22 PM
I did a tonne of research on the various controllers out there and initially the concensus seemed to be towards the apex. The more reading I did it seemed to even out a bit. The cost was a big factor in my decision to go with the digital aquatics reefkeeper elite. I am in no way familiar with the apex so this is in no way anything against that product. The rke is exeptional imho, I was a bit daunted at first but I took it one step at a time. I programmed my temp probe with my heater to regulate temperature. Worked flawlessly. Next I set up at the timer for my mh t5 combo, I had 2 different duos of t5s come on an hour apart and then the mh an hour later and the shutdown was opposite. Again worked flawlessly. Yesterday I purchased an ai sol led module and if I have one issue with the rke is that there isn't a dedicated cable to hook the sol to the alc module that will control the sol. U have to do some splicing of some wires. Its by no means a difficult process but just seemed kinda silly to me. However once spliced and plugged in to the rke I am super pumped at the outcome and again works flawlessly. My next steps are to program an auto topoff and set some feeding times and such. All in all I am really pleased with choosing the rke as it is easy to use and works flawlessly. I recommend this product to every reefer looking for aquarium automation. On a side notebit still kinda feels weird not having to worry about all that stuff, lol.

Phil
12-07-2013, 09:44 PM
I did a tonne of research on the various controllers out there and initially the concensus seemed to be towards the apex. The more reading I did it seemed to even out a bit. The cost was a big factor in my decision to go with the digital aquatics reefkeeper elite. I am in no way familiar with the apex so this is in no way anything against that product. The rke is exeptional imho, I was a bit daunted at first but I took it one step at a time. I programmed my temp probe with my heater to regulate temperature. Worked flawlessly. Next I set up at the timer for my mh t5 combo, I had 2 different duos of t5s come on an hour apart and then the mh an hour later and the shutdown was opposite. Again worked flawlessly. Yesterday I purchased an ai sol led module and if I have one issue with the rke is that there isn't a dedicated cable to hook the sol to the alc module that will control the sol. U have to do some splicing of some wires. Its by no means a difficult process but just seemed kinda silly to me. However once spliced and plugged in to the rke I am super pumped at the outcome and again works flawlessly. My next steps are to program an auto topoff and set some feeding times and such. All in all I am really pleased with choosing the rke as it is easy to use and works flawlessly. I recommend this product to every reefer looking for aquarium automation. On a side notebit still kinda feels weird not having to worry about all that stuff, lol.

Hey I have the vdm apex box and cable for sols if your interested

Edmonton Eskimo
12-07-2013, 10:22 PM
Why would I want the apex box when I have a reefkeeper?

seasalt_newbies
12-07-2013, 10:23 PM
I have been reading alot about the automation and I think it would be a great investment. I was curious though for a guy to get a complete setup in my mind consists of the following items...
Temp controller
salinity
ph
controller for motors and/ or pumps or does one do both?
auto top off
leak detection
lights
auto feeder

Am I missing anything ? I dont think I have the need for any dosing units right now. What kind of price do you think a setup like this would cost?

Thanks for your input

Mike
:)

Phil
12-07-2013, 10:28 PM
Why would I want the apex box when I have a reefkeeper?

Ya sorry I read your post wrong

Sorry about your luck buying a reef keeper too.

Edmonton Eskimo
12-07-2013, 10:34 PM
Phil I'm not sure why u would say sorry about my luck when I am 100 percent happy with my reefkeeper?

Phil
12-07-2013, 10:38 PM
Phil I'm not sure why u would say sorry about my luck when I am 100 percent happy with my reefkeeper?

Theres a few threads on them and how some of the modules they sell don't work and there respond was Thell fix them some time. Most people onley use them for "off on" Which they work fine for.

Edmonton Eskimo
12-07-2013, 10:44 PM
The negative threads on most products, not just in our hobby are misleading. Its human nature to feel compelled to complain rather than praise a product. With sophisticated electronic equipment like a controller of course there will be some that have glitches or don't work. I read many threads on the apex of the same nature. Mine and many other rke's work flawlessly.

Edmonton Eskimo
12-07-2013, 10:50 PM
Seasalt; a good place to explore controller options is www.bulkreefsupply.com

intarsiabox
12-08-2013, 12:44 AM
I have been reading alot about the automation and I think it would be a great investment. I was curious though for a guy to get a complete setup in my mind consists of the following items...
Temp controller
salinity
ph
controller for motors and/ or pumps or does one do both?
auto top off
leak detection
lights
auto feeder

Am I missing anything ? I dont think I have the need for any dosing units right now. What kind of price do you think a setup like this would cost?

Thanks for your input

Mike
:)

I would skip the salinity probe, it is an expensive add on that is not needed. Your salinity should not be fluctuating if you are topping off the water regularly and making sure that your water change water is also at the correct salinity level. Get a refractometer to check after each water change, JL's has a nice Vertex model for $45.

I have had the RKE for 2 years now without any issues at all. I've had it controlling lights, wave makers, ATO, temp and pumps and monitoring PH. I must say though that my current lights and wave makers already have their own computer controls in them as do a lot of these types items now. I got my system for $200 on a Boxing Day sale, whether they'll be that low ever again I don't know. I would look at the type of gear you want to use first and then see what you need to control and monitor and match a system to that criteria. Most are expandable down the road. Even though my controller doesn't actually control everything in my system I still can monitor electricity usage, have alarms attached to pieces of equipment and have all the pumps and skimmer set up for a one button feed mode.