PDA

View Full Version : Ruuning bio-pellets without a skimmer?

Treebeard
12-07-2013, 05:15 PM
My skimmer pump quit last Wednesday and I have been running my 90 gallon tank without it ever since. I am also running bio-pellets but wondering if I should remove them until I get the skimmer fixed.
At this point I have no idea how long it will be until I get the skimmer going again. I am planning on doing a 20% water change tomorrow (Sunday).

mrhasan
12-07-2013, 05:20 PM
I wouldn't run biopellets without skimmer. Biopellets feeds the bacteria and skimmer sucks up the bacteria filled with nutrients. So if you don't have the skimmer running, you will be releasing back the nutrients to the system instead of sucking it up.

Treebeard
12-07-2013, 05:25 PM
That's what I thought and that would explain the green film on the glass.

I wouldn't run biopellets without skimmer. Biopellets feeds the bacteria and skimmer sucks up the bacteria filled with nutrients. So if you don't have the skimmer running, you will be releasing back the nutrients to the system instead of sucking it up.

mrhasan
12-07-2013, 05:28 PM
That's what I thought and that would explain the green film on the glass.

Yap. It can even cause cyano eventually.

Delphinus
12-07-2013, 05:53 PM
I would kind of be tempted to leave the pellets online if it was just going to be a couple of days before the skimmer was back online, but I suppose it's not too bad to get them going again afterwards too. Six of one, half dozen the other.

The Grizz
12-07-2013, 05:57 PM
3 words: DON'T RUN PELLETS

typezero
12-07-2013, 05:59 PM
If its for a couple of days, i would not bother the pellets but running pellets longer without a skimmer your ganna run into cyano problems. Feed less during the days without the skimmer online.

Treebeard
12-07-2013, 06:01 PM
I am going to pull them out.

kien
12-07-2013, 11:57 PM
not that it matters, but if it were me I would also just leave them as well. That is, if it was just for a couple of days as you say. Beyond that, then yes, definitely take them off line. But it sounds like you've made up your mind anyway. The only concern I would have is that two days without water running through the reactor could stagnate the reactor a bit.

reefwars
12-08-2013, 12:04 AM
if you need to turn off your bio pellets for more than a few days just run it in a 5g bucket of saltwater ,it will keep it from going stagnant and no excessive mulm that your skimmer cant pull out:)

typezero
12-08-2013, 01:43 AM
if you need to turn off your bio pellets for more than a few days just run it in a 5g bucket of saltwater ,it will keep it from going stagnant and no excessive mulm that your skimmer cant pull out:)

This is defiantly what i would do, great idea denny!

The Grizz
12-08-2013, 02:19 AM
Pump fresh RO water through your reactor until the pellets are clean & leave reactor full of RO water until your ready to put them back online, thats what i have done a couple times no issues.

Treebeard
12-08-2013, 03:05 AM
Got your email and that's exactly what I did.