PDA

View Full Version : LF: Crappy acros or digitata

milou
12-06-2013, 11:29 PM
Hi I'm looking for crappy brown acros or digitata to feed my new fish. I can trade you corals or whatever works. Just need frags or anything cheap. Thanks

Coral Hoarder
12-07-2013, 01:52 AM
o o o what did you get

milou
12-07-2013, 01:55 AM
i got harlequin filefish, it's kinda skinny from lfs...have been feeding it all kinds of stuff but looks like it's still testing food

ScubaSteve
12-11-2013, 05:18 AM
i got harlequin filefish, it's kinda skinny from lfs...have been feeding it all kinds of stuff but looks like it's still testing food

Hey, I saw your post the other day but didn't have time to respond.

Did you end up finding anything?

I pulled a branch off one of my acro colonies a little while back and it's been sitting there waiting for me to do something with it (which I have not yet had time to do). I call it a "branch" but really it's colony about 7" long and 5" wide with a ton of branches on it. It is actually a very pretty acro that is purple and iridescent green. Really, I could try to sell it or trade it to JL but I'll offer it up to you because:

a) The mother is flippin' huge. It's about 16"x7"x6" without this "branch" on it - or in other words, it takes up 2.9 gallons of my tank. I ain't gonna notice if a chunk is gone.

b) It grows stupid fast when happy and given lots of light. I've measured it growing at 1-2 cm PER MONTH. Depending on how much your fish picks at it, it may be big and fast enough to regenerate and keep up with the attacks.

c) Harlequin filefish are my favorite fish. I want to see you succeed.

d) If your fish is like any of the other coral-eating fish I've encountered, it won't touch the brown corals and will only go after your expensive, pretty ones.

I also have a number of dead acro skeletons that you can smear and freeze mysis and cyclopeez onto to start training the fish on to frozen if that helps at all.

If you happen to have a frag of something glow-y for my new biocube project to trade (zoas? etc), that'd be smashing. If not, I'll take a high-five and wish you a Merry Christmas.

milou
12-11-2013, 05:12 PM
Hi Kevin, yes I'll definitely take that. I will send you pics of possible trade you'd like. Got some metallic green leathers and colorful zoas

xenon
12-11-2013, 05:29 PM
We have loads of 5$ acros and digi frags in stock. :wink:

milou
12-12-2013, 01:08 AM
looks like the fish is not doing well. I thought it was eating the cyclopeze but I guess not....right now it's just hiding in the corner

ScubaSteve
12-12-2013, 02:51 AM
looks like the fish is not doing well. I thought it was eating the cyclopeze but I guess not....right now it's just hiding in the corner

Cyclopeez will only get a fish so far. There isn't a ton of nutrient to them and, being really small, can take a lot of energy just to catch. Use them to get the appetite going but don't rely on them to keep the fish going strong.

If the fish is going after the cyclopeez, get some baby brine shrimp going (and enrich them with aminos/selcon if you can). I have a brine shrimp reactor to can borrow if you are in need. Start by mixing the cyclopeez with the brine and see if you can get the fish onto the live food.

Given that those fish are not pelagic feeders, you're going to need an active food to entice it (ie: brine) or you need acros. Get some live acros (you've got one coming from my end) and get some dead acro skeletons and freeze a paste of cyclopeez and brine to it. Hopefully you can start training the fish onto it quickly.

If the fish isn't looking so hot, you'll need to move quick but you can likely get it to turn around for the better if you can get it eating. If you'd like, I'll be home around 9:30-10 if you want to grab the acro and brine reactor tonight. You can text me if you want to swing by.