PDA

View Full Version : Mandarin

Doug
12-05-2013, 04:37 PM
Well it took many months, but I finally have my female green mandarin eating pellets. My female perc, pics them from the bottom and they collect in one corner from the flow.
She use to go over there to see whats going on but never picked up the pellets. Today she picking them as fast as she could. Looked funny, both females, side by side, pigging out on pellets.

Now I have to find her a hubbie that eating.....:mrgreen:

darkreef
12-05-2013, 06:52 PM
Well it took many months, but I finally have my female green mandarin eating pellets. My female perc, pics them from the bottom and they collect in one corner from the flow.
She use to go over there to see whats going on but never picked up the pellets. Today she picking them as fast as she could. Looked funny, both females, side by side, pigging out on pellets.

Now I have to find her a hubbie that eating.....:mrgreen:

That's the best relief knowing you can get a auto feeder if you leave and not worry about your pod eaters. i finally got my dwarf lion on frozen never tried pellets yet :) congrats

Delphinus
12-05-2013, 07:20 PM
That is amazing. Did you do anything to condition her or did she figure it out on her own?

darkreef
12-05-2013, 07:30 PM
Had him four months in the tank without food . I'd feed him a minnow once in a while and it wasn't looking good.

Got a trigger that he hated , picked on him so he started eating all the triggers food , got strong and killed the trigger . Lol

Most fish figure it out watching other fish , but dragonets are picky , I heard females are a little easier to train not sure if this is true. I had one eat frozen for a little while and my pod population crashed and he refused to eat anything . Like he got sad and died . Had him for almost a year

Jakegr
12-05-2013, 07:40 PM
Nice! Was the mandarin eating mysis or any other offered foods in the mean time? I just got a pair of red scooter dragonettes and have them eating frozen mysis right now, maybe I should give pellets a try too.

darkreef
12-05-2013, 07:47 PM
Unless you got them on the large mysis they be ok. Small ones are not enough I don't think .

Ron99
12-05-2013, 08:03 PM
I'm lucky. My female eats mysis, blood worm, pellets, the Instant Ocean gel food that came with my salt, flake. She's easy :)

hillbillyreefer
12-05-2013, 09:24 PM
There is a thread on another site and the fellow is feeding Nutramar Ova to dragonets and they gobble it up. I had good luck feeding mine mysis, until she went carpet surfing

Delphinus
12-05-2013, 10:17 PM
Had him four months in the tank without food . I'd feed him a minnow once in a while and it wasn't looking good.

LOL, took me a couple seconds to figure out you meant your lionfish, and not a mandarin fish. I was like "... a ... minnow ????? What kind of monster mandarin are we talking about??" :lol:

darkreef
12-05-2013, 10:22 PM
Hahah ya my mandarin was huge though probably the biggest one I ever seen . :p ., lol

Ron99
12-08-2013, 12:22 AM
Pretty pleased here. I picked up a spotted mandarin at J&L. He appeared to be picking at the frozen food there. He's eating frozen mysis and bloodworm for me. So hoping it's just a matter of time until he starts pellets too. Maybe once he's in with the other mandarin and sees her eating pellets he'll get the hint.

Doug
12-08-2013, 01:51 AM
That is amazing. Did you do anything to condition her or did she figure it out on her own?

Not really Tony. The pellets always gather in the same corner and the shrimp and female clown eat them. I noticed she was always over there watching but not eating them. So just kept it up and then she started to pick at them. Next time she was right in there gobbling them up. Themale I had in Brandon also loved those pellets. But everything else.

Nice! Was the mandarin eating mysis or any other offered foods in the mean time? I just got a pair of red scooter dragonettes and have them eating frozen mysis right now, maybe I should give pellets a try too.

Nothing, only the bugs they eat. Im hoping she now picks up mysis from the bottom. When I find her a male, I would like it to be eating mysis first.

Pretty pleased here. I picked up a spotted mandarin at J&L. He appeared to be picking at the frozen food there. He's eating frozen mysis and bloodworm for me. So hoping it's just a matter of time until he starts pellets too. Maybe once he's in with the other mandarin and sees her eating pellets he'll get the hint.

Yes, I find thats the best way. They watch others feed and finally figure it out.

StirCrazy
12-08-2013, 03:24 AM
thats cool its actualy eating it, mine used to grab at pellets all the time but spit them out a min later....

Steve